Why do you call them "bottle shops?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I'm kinda new here so Im wondering why people here call them "bottle shops" and "beer stores" instead of liquor stores. Is liquor store a demeaning term or what ?

2. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (420) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Where I grew up (SE PA), bottle shops, liquor stores, and beer distributors are all very different retail outlets.

Why do some people call it soda versus pop versus Coke versus....?

3. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (480) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

Like above, a bottle shop in PA refers to a place that sells individual bottles, or at most, six packs; that's it (unless you count 12 packs of gross cheap beer). Cases of beer can only be purchased at actual beer distributors. So... a bottle shop is just that, a shop that sells bottles. Also, wine and spirits are sold at state-owned liquor stores, which sell no beer. So, there are liquor stores, beer distributors, and bottle shops.

dieBlume likes this.
  4. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Champion (830) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Certain stores only sell beer, and are therefor colloquially referred to as "(beer) bottle shops".

5. Not sure why we call them Bottle Shops here in Oz. I'm guessing its because they stock a load of Alcohol that mostly comes in bottles. In England they call them Off Licenses which I think relates to the customer having to drink the alcohol elsewhere, as the premises isn't licensed for the consumption of alcohol.

6. nandemo1

nandemo1 Savant (280) Virginia Jun 14, 2011

Similar thing in Virginia. Liquor/ABC stores are state owned and only sell spirits and some Virginia wines. "Bottle shops" are typically wine and beer stores that sell singles, six packs, cases, and kegs. Of course beer and wine is also sold in virtually every grocery too.

7. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Advocate (500) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Liquor Store is the term here too, because we dont have the legal separation. Same store sells liquor/wine/beer.

Bottle shop is a weird term to me.

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I call liquor stores bottle shops.

Less likely to be called an alcoholic when I go to the "bottle shop" 3 times a week

chriznixon, atone315, jgluck and 13 others like this.
  9. In New England you get your beer from the Packy.

10. dianimal likes this.
  11. We call 'em 'packies'

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  12. No, that's where flatlanders get beer. In Vermont you get it anywhere, grocery stores, liquor stores, gas stations, mom & pop markets.

Kinsman and JuliusCaesar like this.
  13. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Yeah - grew up calling it the packy...and around heah we have a cawffee cabinet with Autocrat syrup (barrel aged in plastic drums, of course). It's wicked pissah!

A coffee cabinet is an ice cream-based beverage found almost exclusively in Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts, consisting of coffee ice cream, coffee syrup, and milk. The ingredients are mixed in a drink blender ormilkshake blender

BogleHill, dianimal and dmeadows like this.
  14. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

A bottle shop to me is a place that is "craft beer friendly". For example there are two liquor stores near my house, one gets every shorts release, every founders backstage, kbs, bcbs, etc. even though it looks like a hole in the wall scummy liquor store, this is a bottle shop. The other liquor store which is a stone throw away has a selection that offers corona and Mississippi mud, this is just a liquor store. The term bottle shop lets other BA's know where they can get great beer, if you want a fifth of popov any store will do.

15. Where you and are in RI they are called liquor stores because they actually serve liquor. Other states can't sell beer and liquor together. Those places that sell beer only, or beer in wine in some places are called "bottle shops." Despite living amongst many "liquor stores" I find myself now referring to some of them as bottle shops myself. It makes sense given the language here on BA, as it is more universally understood.

I haven't said "the packie" in a while, I should start folding that one back in. Instead of saying "I am going to the bottle shop to grab some barleywine." I am going to start saying, "Gotta make a packie run!" again.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Isn't packie/packy just a RI term like bubbler?

17. No, New England.

18. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Autocrat syrup. A fond part of my chilldhood, as my mother's family is from southeastern MA.

SenorHops likes this.
  19. Excuse me, it's "bubblah" not bubbler. You take that fancy college boy talk back to Barrington.

20. I have always been curious as to what the result would be if I chucked a dash of Autocrat in an Imperial Stout.

21. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (485) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

In IL there is no liquor separation laws, I say bottle shops to reference places that have a good selection of craft brews

maxcoinage, Davihaw and CORKSCREWFISH like this.
  22. When my wife moved to NY with me years ago, she was completely confused by our mile shakes. Apparently in RI it's actually some disgusting concoction of milk, syrup, and ice that is just shaken and has no ice cream. Then she served me some kind of clear soup with clam and potatoes, and called it chowder. I almost dumped her on the spot.

dmeadows likes this.
  23. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (695) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Ohio's another state that Liquor stores are not totally synonymous with beer stores. It's a bit of a holdover from the not so distant past when hard alcohol was only sold in state-run stores. Now, almost every store in the state that sells liquor (over 40 proof) also sells beer and wine. Not every store that sells beer and wine is licensed to sell liquor. (lots of little quirky rules in the buckeye state)

24. I usually just call the beer stores.

25. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Of course it's a bottle shop. Everyone knows you aren't buying the beer, rather the bottle. Especially true if you have ever tried to find a difficult to locate beer on eEbay, as their policy is that you must place the following in your ad for the rare bottle...(ie Westy XII, Utopias, etc)

1) The value of the item is in the collectible container, not its contents.
    2) The container has not been opened and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.
    3) The item is not available at any retail outlet, and the container has a value that substantially exceeds the current retail price of the alcohol in the container.
    4) The seller will take all appropriate steps to ensure that the buyer is of lawful age in the buyer and seller's jurisdiction (generally 21 years of age).
    5) Buyers and sellers both ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws and shipping regulations.

jgluck and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (730) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I always felt it was to distinguish the good beer stores from the shitty ones.

27. I wish the term "case shop" would come into use, to distinguish between retail beer "distributors" (most of which don't even actually "distribute" beer) & wholesale distributors (which do).

jbdpsu82 likes this.
  28. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (205) New York Dec 25, 2008

In New York, beer is not sold in liquor/wine stores, which is a bummer because it greatly reduces the number of potential craft beer outlets.

29. It has to do with where you are from and the laws for that particular state.

In New Jersey beer, wine and liquor is sold at the same place. They are called liquor stores here.
    The exception is some bars have a license that lets them sell beer and wine for off premise consumption. This is "packaged goods" shop. Which is important to know if you want to get beer after 10.

30. Dude, you can get growler fills at gas stations. No one feels bad for you. :)

andylipp likes this.
  31. Because where I live you can't buy beer and liquor in the same place. You have liquor/wine shops which sell liquor and wine. You have beverage distributors which sell beer by the case and soda. Then you have some supermarkets that sell singles and six packs and then you have bottle shops which specialize in singles of beer. Mostly fancy rare beers.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  32. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (460) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I really enjoy my local bottle shops, such as Hawthornes in Philadelphia and The Bottle Shop, which is located close to the house of my grandparents in the heart of South Philly. Everytime I go, even when I have not been there I am greeted kindly and I love chatting with the knowledgable staff who enjoys what I enjoy.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  33. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (420) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

To add to the confusion, my understanding is that the proprietor of a bottle shop in PA can walk into a retail beer distributor, buy a case of beer, and they go sell it by the bottle at his bottle shop.

34. braugon

braugon Savant (390) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

I don't, I call them Package Stores or "the packie" for short ;)

35. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

The differences are actually interesting, all kidding aside. Visitors we have from Florida don't understand why they can't buy beer at the grocery store and until recently couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday. I think some of the WallyWorld superstores carry beahs. The "packies" here carry liquor, wine, and beer so basically adults say liquor store. I was in upstate New York, went into liquor stores and that is what they had - no beer. They sent me to the local gas station with a "good selection"...NOT!

I know the Wegman's in MA ended up where it is in part because of the liquor license. I forget the entire story, but I recall they were going much closer to Boston, but no licenses were "available" for wherever it was they were looking to build.

And yes! Water fountain = bubblah. I think some of that stuff is definitely regional to RI and SE Mass. Of course, a proper resident of SE Mass considers the state of RI to be a western suburb (just kiddin', Providence, just kiddin').

36. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

For me bottle shop makes it sound more like a hobby. Liquor store or beer store makes it just sound tacky even though they are technically a store. Shop just sounds and feels niiiiice.;)

jgluck, pixieskid and MattXT like this.
  37. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I use it to differentiate a store with a great beer selection from a liquor store that has nothing but bombers of Natty Ice.

38. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Brilliant idea! Autocrat makes everything better!

39. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Its a SHOP that sells BOTTLES.

40. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (440) New York Nov 21, 2008

I go to the bottle shop to get some head(y)

41. I think you meant you went to get a soda and thought someone was cooking out.