1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Why does Houston get zero mind blowing Imperial Stouts?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Daemose, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (390) Texas Dec 28, 2011

It was really limited. Think you had to ask for it. Austin got some also

2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Good to know! I have 1 of these that I was given last Christmas-time and I havent touched it yet. Might be worth breaking out to celebrate this Christmas!

3. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (575) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I've been pretty impressed with the Uinta and Epic beers that I've tried, but have yet to try anything as good as Outer Darkness (Labyrinth comes VERY close though).

As of right now, the only Utah beers available in TX are Wasatch and Squatters. To be honest, I've been pretty impressed with the Squatters beers I've tried. I'd love to have easy access to Epic and Uinta as well, but I'll take what I can get.

4. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Nuh uh! *hides Hoarders Society invitation*

5. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (550) New York Jun 11, 2007

It's the rest of the country attempting to help you realize you live in Texas, and should really do something about that.

Snarkily,
    -Ex Texan

starkmarvelo likes this.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I'd rather be dead in Texas than alive in Pennsylvania.

7. miikezombie

Totally. Each one of Founders stouts cost around the same amount or more than Ten Fidy.

8. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I love Outer Darkness, I forgot I have that in my stash. Thread over.

9. DocBrass

DocBrass Savant (255) Texas Jul 28, 2006

its all these newbies on the board and those that haven't been drinking in Texas for 20 years that doesn't appreciate what you can find in this great big state!!! :rolleyes:

Ford and starkmarvelo like this.
  10. Get outta here old man!

DocBrass and FUNKPhD like this.
  11. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Only because of Taxes. FBS and FIS are much less in MI.

KBS depends on the place, but is worth it! Ten Fidy has always been overpriced in my book.

12. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (460) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Even when it was $9.99 a 4-pack?

13. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (400) Texas Oct 2, 2007

Now that would be a good thread
    Mind blowing RIS we get in Texas that are easy on your hemrhoids

DocBrass likes this.
  14. DanzBorin

It was better then, but now that specs has been asking $15-16 a 4 pack (for at least 2 years), I pass on it.

15. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Just had my brother in KC grab me a bunch of FBS and they were only $10 a four pack...so quite a bit cheaper than Ten Fidy.

But can you really complain about $8 bombers when it comes to RIS? Ten Fidy and Yeti four packs are both worth every penny at $14-$17.

Looking forward to Narwhal and BCS here in October for "cheap" RIS options. And don't forget Green Flash Double Stout - that stuff is great too.

16. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (345) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Too bad the Yeti variations do not come in 4 packs. I would love that.

BeanBone likes this.
  17. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (460) Texas Feb 3, 2009

You know it's funny how we perceive packaging. I know of a couple local stores here in DFW that carry Ten FIDY at $13.49-$13.99 a 4-pack. On a per ounce basis, this is about $.30/oz.

Thinking about a beer like Jester King Black Metal at $10.99/750ml bottle, that beer is $.43/oz, or almost 50% more expensive. I see people complaining about Ten FIDY pricing, but rarely about JK pricing and JK is local. Shouldn't they be cheaper? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to throw JK under the bus here. They make organic beers, which are more expensive, and they brew small batches, which is also more expensive. This particular example was just me throwing it out there to show how our perception is largely driven by packaging size. I think Ten FIDY is an excellent value at $14, but I rarely buy it anymore because I don't often have time to break it down like this. At the end of the day, there are few (if any) Imperial Stouts that are as cheap as Ten FIDY per ounce for the same quality.

jl28r1, champ103 and pwsoldier like this.
  18. pwsoldier

EXACTLY. You'd be amazed just how much value you're getting per ounce on most US sixers and 4pks compared to some imports (especially Belgians) that tend to be priced more proportionately while still favoring 12 oz packaging. $16 for 48 ounces vs. $12 for 22-25 ounces? It's a no-brainer really.

19. DanzBorin

FIS and FBS are better IMHO, and cheaper. Old Rasputin too.

I Know that per ounce, bombers are a sucker's game. lol

I'll look for my Darkness 4 pack of cans. ;)

I do get the point though. I'll have to revisit Ten Fidy. I've thought it a bit overrated. Haven't seen it on shelves in a whole though.

20. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (550) New York Jun 11, 2007

Thankfully, I haven't been in PA for a month, won't be again until January, and will probably be moving out at that point. Currently enjoying some sun (and Green Flash) in CA :)

21. miikezombie

My point was its around the same price. $4 wont make me put down Ten Fidy when shipping usually costs a bit more that that.

22. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I stopped at this post just because ill pay you for the ST creme brulee. If your not gonna drink it, i will. Nothing to trade....(that ill give up anyway) but i havent had this since mass, (3 years) and i liked it so, whatll you want? ;) pm me if you want

23. ehsteve

ehsteve Savant (260) Texas Jan 13, 2009

tl;dr: Houston doesn't get any of the stouts you want because it's a city in Texas.

greenspointexas likes this.
  24. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

You seem a bit overly critical. Love the one you're with. Maybe big stouts aren't your thing.

25. 94Sip

94Sip Aficionado (120) Texas Jun 10, 2012

I seem to always find Old Rasputin at my Specs along with recently found some Brooklyn BCS.

Another stout that I have found which I think is great is Boulevard's Dark Truth Stout, which I found a six pack of at Specs. Check it out - yummy in my tummy

blatherbeard likes this.
  26. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You can just wait for this to come around:

[​IMG]

Exiled and blatherbeard like this.
  27. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Agreed. Had a glass at Barley Swine and loved the hell out of it, and have been buying it since.

28. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Though a lot of people might not consider them "mind blowing", but I think with all the different Great Divide Yeti variants available that just those alone aught to be able to cure anyones imperial stout cravings.

Another good one that hasnt been mentioned yet is Green Flash Double Stout...

29. a74gent

a74gent Savant (405) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

No need to kill anyone...how about trading?

30. I've had both Black Bear and Storm King at Ginger Man. Those aren't shabby.

31. pwsoldier

I'm drinking a 2.5 year-old Yeti as I type this. Mind = blown.

bbadger and Exiled like this.
  32. PA is a great beer state!

pwsoldier likes this.
  33. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

I'm a huge fan of the stone irs. Drinking the 2012 right now. Flippin fantastic.

34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (390) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Go form. Ya bastard. Good form. My fave for price vs quality

jwff likes this.
  35. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Id hit a GFDS over a yeti any day. Ive found the yetis to be quite underwhelming for the last few years in the least.

36. miikezombie

Will be there in November.

37. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Actually it's not...you remind me of myself when I first started out. I thought all the best stuff was made somewhere else and what we had was shit. Granted there are some amazing stouts made elsewhere but unless you are willing to trade for them there's very little possibility of them ever being sent here. I've tried to support our local breweries these days although I still trade for things I really want/like.

What's funny is you complained that we don't get Three Floyds or Surly and then you claim that Weasel Rodeo is priced too highly. Dark Lord and Darkness are the same prices if not more...I think Weasel Rodeo is priced in line with similar stouts. I think if it was more highly prized your tone would be different. And yes as people have stated in this thread Ten Fidy would be much less per bomber, if offered in that format, than a lot of other stouts that are already available here. If I could only have one stout from now on that is available in TX it would be Ten Fidy.

38. DanzBorin

Weasel Rodeo isn't that good. Shouldn't really be compared.

Whiskey and Beer Geek are pretty good though.

39. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Bullshit. Whiskey is great, and Beer needs age, but Weasel is really good. Your expectations are out of whack. Taste it without assumptions.

40. DanzBorin

I tasted it expecting it to be better than Beer Geek, but similar. It didn't even come close and was by far the least appealing stout I've had from them. It was flat and was all coffee and smoke. There wasn't any complexity.

I guess my expectation of it being a good beer were totally misguided? If I expected the worst it would have tasted better?

Btw, Beer Geek tasted fine fresh IMHO.

I did find a way to make Weasel pretty good. I added a tiny bit of Barrel Aged Backburner. It added the small hint of sweet I feel the beer needed.

At $15 a bomber it just wasn't worth it to me.