Why I hate CA growler laws

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Arbitrator, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

This isn't a productive post at all. It's just a pictorial rant on why I hate CA growler laws. Post your own collection.

[​IMG]

(This doesn't include another 5 growlers coming back to me.)

2. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Advocate (590) Minnesota May 6, 2010 Verified

I used to have that problem, not because of growler laws, but because that is all I traded for. I now give quite a few away, and use the other swing top growlers to infuse olive oils. Have done quite a few with garlic and basil, just basil, and other spices.

KevSal, Rempo, StarRaptor and 2 others like this.
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Preach on man. I only have 1 growler and I refuse to buy any more until something changes with the law.

Skuter and pmarlowe like this.
  4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I saw you post about olive oil infusion before and decided to try it. The problem is that I frequently send out RR / Drake's growlers and almost never get them back, so I don't want to contaminate them with oil. But I think I've found a new use for my Moylan's / 21A / Marin / Free State glasses.

5. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I bet you wouldn't trade any beer laws with Texas! It's slowly getting better but it still blows.
    I'll trade you a Freetail growler for one of the RR ones (not that you could use it :()

6. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Advocate (590) Minnesota May 6, 2010 Verified

glad someone else is using them for that. I have given several away and have gotten really good responses from it. I just did a basil pesto'ish (roasted pine nuts and basil) and that has become a favorite.

7. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (315) California Apr 16, 2005

Why I hate CA growler laws: I'll be going to Las Vegas next weekend, and I realized that at Aces and Ales I could get growler fills of great West Coast brews like Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla, Big Eye IIPA or Velvet Merlin all under one roof in any container I bring in, while I couldn't get a growler of any of those here in town despite living in the state in which they're brewed.

8. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (475) California Jan 27, 2008 Verified

Big Eye isn't a IIPA.

9. womencantsail

womencantsail Champion (870) California May 25, 2008 Verified

I would have had you shamed, Mihir, but I just got rid of about 30 growlers when I moved. I kept a handful, but even that is still more than I'd care to have.

10. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (570) California Jan 8, 2004

Different laws and KK.

THAT is a winning combination!!!

11. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I don't want to think about what my collection would look like if I got the ones I sent out back. As it stands I have 3 RR, 1 Drake's, 2 Kern, 1 Alpine, and two random out-of-state ones that I use for watering plants. This is after recycling a bunch.

12. tozerm

tozerm Savant (410) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Just out of curiosity, does CA allow you to use unbranded growlers?

13. just out of curiosity, what was your takeaway from the original post?

Tieman, pinkgrenade and vacax like this.
  14. litheum94

litheum94 Advocate (665) California Dec 29, 2008

I don't have a pic, but I feel your pain. I hate our growler laws.

One of the best things about my trip to Bend was that I was able to bring my Magnolia growler and get it filled wherever I wanted. That meant I could drink fresh beer the whole weekend and come home with a bunch of bottles.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  15. litheum94

litheum94 Advocate (665) California Dec 29, 2008

The extra "I" stands for Impressive.

albertq17 and hophead247 like this.
  16. tozerm

Someone needs to get their mouth washed out with stale beer.

17. womencantsail

You'll have to do better than that...Levitation is accustomed to hearing substantially worse on an hourly basis.

18. vurt

vurt Advocate (655) Oregon Apr 11, 2004 Verified

Looks like I've got 11 stashed in my pantry:
    • BJ's Brewhouse (x2)
    • Pizza Port
    • Hollister
    • Lengthwise
    • Rock Bottom
    • Hoghaus (Fayetteville, AR)
    • Eagle Rock
    • Golden Road
    • Kern River
    • Indian Wells (obviously the pride of my collection) ;)

19. sbuysse

sbuysse Aficionado (185) Arizona Sep 30, 2005

20. womencantsail

The fact that you went to Indian Wells is somewhat impressive to me. I know it can be "on the way" to Kern, depending on how you go, but it's still not really on the way.

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  21. sorry, but i asked out of genuine curiosity. the op posted a picture of at least a couple dozen growlers, several of which are visibly multiples, and mentioned that he hates ca growler laws. i'm curious what inference you drew from that if not something about the laws demanding redundancy in growler purchases. what was your interpretation?

22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Short of being forced to stop there as some kind of sadistic toll, I don't see any reason to visit.

Ticker gotta vomit.

LieutenantSour likes this.
  23. womencantsail

Other than vurt, who I just learned about, the only other two people I know who purposely went to Indian Wells knowing what they were doing are largadeer and chswimmer. Those two going doesn't entirely surprise me...vurt going does.

largadeer likes this.
  24. tozerm

I wasn't interpreting anything.. hence the question. As I'm not from CA and never bought a growler there, let's just say I'm uninitiated in the process there. The thought process that was going on in my mind related to the idea of having a blank growler with a piece of masking tape on it where you could write the name of the brewery, then I realized the law probably has some inane bit about the label being permanently affixed to the growler, etc. Up here in the Great Northwest, the laws don't force us to practice label discrimination.

25. vacax

vacax Advocate (650) California Jun 3, 2008

I am shocked to learn that Indian Wells and BJs even have growlers. Not to put them in the same category or anything.

26. mactrail

mactrail Champion (915) Washington Mar 24, 2009 Verified Subscriber

I have a big Ford Taurus. I just need to fill the trunk with dividers to keep the growlers from jostling each other. You arrive at a brewpub, say Black Market in Temecula, and you pull your map out of the glove box, ah here it is, space J-11. This is why we need our state legislators to spend more time writing legislation according to what they thought they heard those MADD ladies saying at Happy Hour...

27. mactrail

mactrail Champion (915) Washington Mar 24, 2009 Verified Subscriber

Dang, that fresh Lobotomy Bock is stacked up in the metal shed. Why doesn't the ATF or maybe USPS look into these people for fraud.

28. I have 2 growlers, one clear and one dark. The clear one is from a brewery that used to only fill their own growlers (il vic here in ABQ) and all they had were clear... but their beer is amazing so i settled. The dark one is from La Cumbre which i purchased once they opened. I want one of the new 'fancy' swing top ones from il vic, but haven't gotten around to it. I would seriously feel stupid buying a new growler every time.

29. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Alpine - 7 (used to have more but a few have disappeared to various friends)
    Lost Abbey/Port - 4
    Pizza Port - 2
    Stone - 2
    Ballast Point - 2
    Alesmith - 2
    Green Flash - 2
    Karl Strauss - 2
    Mother Earth - 2
    Iron Fist - 1
    Hess - 1
    The Bruery - 2
    Mammoth - 4
    Yazoo - 1
    Mikkeller - 1
    Brewdog - 1

I think that's all of them. There could be others.

Arbitrator likes this.
  30. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (345) California Aug 19, 2011 Verified

31. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Savant (355) Kentucky Jun 18, 2012 Verified

I believe CA laws say that breweries can only fill their own branded growlers with their beer. No unbranded. No other brands. One thing I'm not sure on is whether they can be re-used. If I had to guess I'd say yes...which makes me wonder why someone would have so many multiples of the same brewery.

Related: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/fancy-growlers-please-stop.25554/

32. Here is the CA law from the ABC web site.
    At Ale Industries Tap Room we will fill any growler, but we apply a
    label on the growler that contains all the pertinent info. This could be done
    by all breweries here in CA. Many are worried about the next section which states....

However this clearly applies to "wooden or fiber board" crates that are no longer
    used in the industry. The "returnable beer container" is what has people freaked out.
    The state always refers to a bottle as a package though.

sasepulveda, JimDH, Gilmango and 6 others like this.
  33. I completely understand your frustration, but in GA we cannot buy growlers from breweries or brewpubs.

34. shadowane

shadowane Savant (300) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2007 Verified

Funny enough, my wife and I collect growlers. We're up to 45 at this point. The idea of needing a specific brewery's growler wouldn't affect me at all.

35. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

It has always seemed to me that doing this is perfectly legal, but most breweries don't half out of fear that it'll turn out to be illegal and half because selling glass makes them some money. I'm glad that there's someone who's doing the obvious thing.

36. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

All you CA types should copy-paste this and email it to every brewery that isn't doing this.

37. A brewery up in Humboldt did this when I filled a blank growler a few weeks ago, they just taped a sheet of paper with the government warning and the brewery info onto it.

38. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,155) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member Verified

Yes. Years ago, that's what happened when I had the folks at St. Stan fill a mason jar I'd gotten from Seabright brewing in Santa Cruz. I had no idea what they were doing, but they slapped on a label with the brewery and gov't info, which they indicated made everything legal. The whole thing peeled off the jar about 30 minutes after I left (it didn't fit on the jar very well), but apparently that was still sufficient to get around the gov't regulations.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  39. tozerm

Hmmm.. seems to me that breweries could simply have a boilerplate, written release to avoid entanglements surrounding this portion. For example if there are 10 breweries in a given geographic area, all ten could simply give the written permission to each other and have it on file at all 10 of the breweries.

Sebowski likes this.
  40. A new Russian River growler is what $6 extra with a fill? <<though RRBC is probably on the cheap end>>. I can't imagine they are making much money off the growlers. And then there is the whole hassel of storing empty growlers. I believe this is mostly ignorance, legacy and not wanting to make growler fills any more of a pain in the ass for the people behind the bar than it already is.

I may take a trip up to Oregon sometime next year, glad to hear I can bring my own glass.

Someone should start a thread on interesting things to do with empty growlers from out of state breweries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.