Why I love you Troegs...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cugabuh, Dec 12, 2012.

1. It's not your exceptional Perpetual IPA or your stellar Nugget Nectar.

It's not your catchy labels, and awesome beer names.

It's the fact that you guys send your reps out to my liquor store ASAP and say, "Sorry for the bad batch...we'll take it back and send you 6 new cases instead." Now that's some good service. Every brewery should aspire to have service like that!

Apparently there was a big batch of Perpetual IPA that had a bad strain of yeast in it. I forget what the bottle date was that was bad, but I did get to try one, and if anyone is curious, it tasted like a wheaty IPA. It was actually VERY good, just not what a Perpetual is supposed to taste like!

jgluck, SammyJaxxxx, cjoc83 and 9 others like this.
  2. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Sounds like they take pride in their quality! I'm heading back to where I grew up in Pennsylvania for the holidays and I'm thinking about visiting the brewery. It's quite a drive for me but might be worth it.

3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

Nice to hear. And Yes, Nugget Nectar is "stellar" like you said. I love that beer!

4. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (655) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I always love some Mad Elf this time of year!!

5. Ndfan1323

Ndfan1323 Savant (270) California Jan 26, 2012

Loved the brewery as well!! Was there this summer and had an AWESOME scratch imperial ipa.

6. Ndfan1323

Ndfan1323 Savant (270) California Jan 26, 2012

You can easily make a day of it, Troegs is basically in Hershey Parks parking lot. Its pretty cool place to visit during Christmas.

7. Being in PA has its perks. Troegs beers is one of them. Love Perpetual, love Mad Elf (its not Christmas time till I have my first one), love Troegenator, Dead Reckoning is great, and on and on. When I worked at a supplier, the Troegs rep was awesome.

The Mad Elf bombers are finally starting to show up in stores. Grabbing a few extra for next years vertical. 2010-2013. Aw yeah.

Also, FT: Mad Elf

8. RichD

RichD Champion (880) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I wish I could get Troegs in Rhode Island. I'd love to try the Nugget Nectar. Anyone know how much a case usually goes for in PA?

9. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (845) California Nov 16, 2009

Ive been pretty happy with the Troegs stuff I have been gifted. Solid east coast brewery.
    Kudos to their customer service. Nice to see.

Cheers!

10. Good_Trader

Good_Trader Initiate (0) Viet Nam Nov 21, 2012

Nugget Nectar.

That's why.

11. i love troegs stuff is great from the nugget nectar to flying mouflar (question on the spelling)
    just tried the java head very tasty smooth roasty and loads of coffee flavor great stout top notch
    they make a great product and the labels are definitely cool the java head label is a skull how cool is that
    well i will definitely keep drinking the stuff they put out

csbinva likes this.
  12. Thanks to the OP. The wife and I are driving to Florida for the holidays and was undecided about which brewery to visit on the way back and this post sealed it for me. Troeg's it is. Unfortunately, in deference to my wife who dislikes car rides and only wants to get where she's going, I am only going to make one stop on the way down and one on the way up - so I'm not looking for any additional suggestions.

13. And today...Scratch #83 ┬┐Impending Descent? (RIS). Very excited to get out of work today.

14. Two words: Nugget and Nectar!

15. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Nice to hear. Someone brought up getting a bad sixer of this a week or so ago and there were people trying to say they released it knowing that it wasbad. Troegs is my favorite brewery, going to finally make the trip out there in the spring.

16. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (335) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Around $42-48. Troeg's always prices their beers very reasonably.

17. RichD

OK, thank you very much. My girlfriend's dad travels to PA at least once a month and I may have him/Santa Claus pick up a case for me.

18. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

We dont get Troeg's in CT but its great to hear that they take their bad batches back. Not a big fan of most of their beers but Nugget Nectar is absolutly delicious.I hope one day they decide to come to CT...CHEERS

19. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (355) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

The Scratch series #58 triple mango IPA is my all time favorite beer from Troegs

20. Nugget Nectar is a seasonal release, so too late for S. Claus. Comes out late winter - the brewery's website says both "February-March" and elsewhere "January-March" - (keep an eye out on the Mid-Atlantic forum, where it will always result in a few threads upon release).

RichD likes this.
  21. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (335) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I'm not sure if you know this, but it won't be out until around late February/early March.

RichD likes this.
  22. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

In twenty minutes you can be in MA...from dang near anywhere in RI. Troegs is available at quite a few places. Might try Gasbarro's on Rt 6 in Seekonk just outside of East Providence.

Psychmusic and RichD like this.
  23. That's great to hear - I have heard that Troegs is a good group of people. Some of their stuff misses the mark sometimes but they make a few standout beers (Troegenator is outstanding).

24. RichD

Well, thank you. Would've loved for it to be out now but I can wait a few months.

25. RichD

I actually found some Troegs at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro today. I grabbed a single of Mad Elf. Hopefully I like it.

26. shadytony

shadytony Aficionado (225) Illinois Aug 11, 2011

worth the trip...don't miss the pork belly (Java Head float is pretty tasty too!)

27. I live in RI (make most of my beer purchases in Mass) Yankee Liquors in South Attleboro and Swansea have had Troges Nugget Nectar. I have bought it a few times. You should have no problem finding it in Mass.

28. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Ha! I was at Yankee Spirits in Swansea and Mad Elf was in the haul. Neat gift four pack from Boulevard, a couple bottles from Pretty Things, Otto in Oak, and SN Celebration rounded things out. And built a four pack for a gift as well...forgot what I tossed in, but it is all good!

29. I drank sooooo much NN this year. Good to hear they are amending the perpetual issue. I havent bought a six in a few months so I missed this batch.

30. Glad to hear the love for Troegg's! Gonna hafta visit their brewery someday for sure.

31. Speaking of Troegs, it's time to ask the monthly question :

How are Splinter Tan and Gold coming along?

32. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

For me it's the TROEGENATORRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
    -Nugget Nectar
    -Dead Reckoning Porter
    -Java Stout
    trying the Mad Elf finally this Xmas...

33. Stoked for Nugget Nectar to come out. I've never had it so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Love Mad Elf.

34. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Not it is not. Some of the biggest crimes in design come from Troegs.

I think Troegs needs to add some new brews to their line-up

dar482 likes this.
  35. Good to know they have great customer service. Troegs makes some solid beers, but i think they need to branch out and take more risk

Holmes698 likes this.
  36. earlholman

earlholman Savant (295) Maryland Feb 25, 2013

I love this beer too! Had it at the brewery a while back. Troegs is having a contest on their facebook back to bring back one of their scratch beers, I really hope this one wins so I can get a few more growlers of it!

37. dar482

dar482 Advocate (735) New York Mar 9, 2007

I had the Scratch 83. Holy smokes. One of the best Russian Imperials I've had.

Greenplastic615 and waddellc2 like this.
  38. A 3 month old troegenator is why i love Troges. That and because i grew up in Pennsylvania and i love to see good beer come out of the east cost.

39. The Bourbon Barrel Troegenator last month at the brewery was mindblowing!

40. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Mad Elf!