1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why isn't glassware for beer made with brown glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Reading this thread is a great reminder of how ridiculous some of you beer drinkers can be.
    fujindemon74 and bryanole27 like this.
  2. One advantage of living at 53 degrees North is that although I'be been drinking beer for over 50 years I've never experienced skunking except in contrived doped beers in my beer tasting courses.
    It is said though that Porters and Stouts are improved by drinking them out of a pewter tankard.Time to do a controlled experiment perhaps........
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Seriously???

I hope you are pulling our legs.
  4. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Since we only have about 5 days of sunlight per year in Ohio, I don't really have that problem. Either way, I don't think this is a big issue. There is no need to take everything so seriously. Its beer. Just drink it.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  5. It's not just beer, you're spending your money hurr durr hurr derp.

Seriously. I agree with you 100%
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Whenever I am outside drinking I am usually drinking straight out of the can/bottle.
  7. Psh, everyone knows the real beer snob keeps a tactical collapsible tulip glass on them AT ALL TIMES
  8. I have an old brown glass mug. Ball mason jar with a handle.
  9. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

While quite possible,I'd think the potential resultant lead poisoning might somewhat temper the benefits?

To each his own.
  10. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

This how I used to roll.....

[​IMG]
    Ernest_Hooper and mellowmark like this.
  11. I feel dumber having read this thread.
  12. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

Chaz likes this.
  13. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

First, a brown glass would be difficult to clean since you wouldn't be able to see if it was really clean.
    Second, eye appeal... Would you really want to drink out of a brown glass? Brown is associated with dirt, scum, .... It would seemingly turn ppl off to drinking beer.
    guillemiro likes this.
  14. Good question, I always drink on my roof on the summer solstice at noon too.

Enough snark, to the OP, because then you can't see it and taste is perceived first through the eyes, then through the nose and then through the mouth. Don't kick out 1/3 of the process!
  15. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (370) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

BA gratefulbeerhead makes these nice vessels for Bell's:

[​IMG]
  16. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

17. Thought it was pretty clever when Rolling Rock (pre-AB) came out with green shaker pints with the same silk-screened front and rear logos as their iconic bottles.
    [​IMG]

Wasn't quite as thrilled with them when I was in some bar that uses any handy glass for any beer - regardless of logo and what beer one ordered - and was served a deep amber-colored craft beer in one. Just looked gruesome.

Of course, the green glass would not be much help prevent the beer becoming lightstruck outdoors, but then neither would brown or opaque since the sun is usually overhead ;) and glasses are open-topped.
    mellowmark likes this.
  18. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

This. Too afraid of breaking my glassware or spilling, especially if I have a group of people over. I've never had an issue with skunking.
    Hanzo likes this.
  19. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I just shotgun all beers to avoid skunking and faded hops.
    Barrelsnbeer and mellowmark like this.
  20. GFG, mellowmark and tai4ji2x like this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Rose colored glasses are my favorite, followed by depression era green tumblers.

Edit: I keed! I keed! But truthfully, I'd much prefer to drinking from a 7oz Pilsner sham while seated in a leather booth, preferably in an old, dark saloon. :)
  22. I leave the brown paper bags on my 40's anyway. You guys don't?
  23. You left off "35¢" for the sham pilsner and the fact that no light gets in to skunk the beer, even when some dummy opens the blinds on the tiny windows, because the years of smoke and cooking grease has covered the glass with an UV light-proof film.

Wait... you're in a booth? ("Leather"? Really? Sure that's not Naugahyde™?) Didn't you read the matchbook cover?[​IMG]
    BobZ likes this.
  24. Chaz

Back in the day, ladies weren't allowed in bars in the Midwest. Well, certain professional types, maybe...!

Edit: I'm paranoid enough about light skunking my beer that when a sham isn't handy, I drink my Special Ex straight from th' silo!
  25. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Beat me to it :)
  26. Chaz

On occasion, I run across those at collectors shows, as well as "cobalt blue" pints branded with some defunct Micro brand or other. Some places offer a variety of colors for your silk-screened logo needs:
    [​IMG]
  27. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I suppose I've just never drunk beer out of a glass under the burning midday sun.
  28. The one on the right is awesome.
  29. In California, we actually have sunshine, hoppy beers and year-round outdoor patios where drinking occurs. Direct sunlight is a real issue. If sunshine and beer drinking is a foreign concept to you, this thread may not be for you.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    abcentfishing likes this.
  30. "Our arrows will blot out the sun!"
    "Good, now our beers won't skunk."

That's how that scene went, right?
  31. Does a Duvel tulip count if it has been modified to work in a hammock?

[​IMG]
    image by dachshunddude86, on Flickr
  32. unfortunately, blue glass is about the same in terms of light protection as green.

hey, do you still know the links to that blog and PDF file that shows graphically the analysis of different wavelengths of light, between different colors of glass? you and i used to post them frequently in the old forums, but since those archives apparently will never be restored, now they are practically lost forever to me...
  33. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for posting that. I guess there might be something to it after-all.
  34. So I take it you don't drink Pliny 24 minutes after its bottling date either, do you?
    19etz55 likes this.
  35. Chaz

Would black glass really be any better? Seems that it would still be affected by direct/overhead light.
  36. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Why not drink faster?!
  37. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

Well I've had hundreds of beer out in the sun and I have had it happen...

Sorry, I couldn't resist a good one-up on your dozens. Just last weekend I was having a SN Pale Ale in a clear plastic cup from the bar at my local ski area out on the deck and I noticed the skunk smell as soon as I went back inside. The beer still drinks fine but I definitely can smell it.
  38. red glass has shown to be effective. somebody posted their experience before. dunno if it was in the old forums tho.

overhead light is still a problem, yes, although i suppose a nice foamy head might help? :p seriously, though, whenever i'm drinking outside, i just try to shade my cup whenever possible. use my hand, a menu, a coaster, stand near a tree, whatever. or just drink faster ;-) also, a red solo cup helps ;-)
  39. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Dammit. Knew I should have said "hundreds."
  40. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Like most people reading and commenting in this thread, beer typically doesn't last long enough in my glass for me to worry about the ill effects it could suffer. But I will say that the novelty glasses made from used beer bottles look pretty badass.