1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why isn't glassware for beer made with brown glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Feb 15, 2013.

1. This one? (I think there are a number of sites with the same graph.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  2. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I don't chug beer so the idea that "My beer isn't in the glass long enough to skunk" (less that a minute? really?) doesn't work.

It's an interesting question from an academic standpoint. I'm gonna buy a stein.
  3. Lone Star used a very opaque black glass that was touted as being very light protective. Owens-Illinois also supplies those new black bottles for Beck's which I guess are essentially the same as the ones they made in the '60's for Lone Star. I read an interview with a O-I exec about they new bottles (specifically about Miller's Vortex bottle that they designed) and the black glass is supposedly manufactured using an expensive two-step process. Still surprised that AB used that black bottle for Beck's Sapphire but not for Budweiser Black Crown.
  4. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (550) Florida Aug 1, 2012

I'd like to see someone shotgun a ten fidy...
  5. And it's been said that bottled beer can become light-struck in less than one minute in bright sun, after a few hours in diffuse daylight, and in a few days under normal fluorescent lighting.

Sounds like a buncha bs to me. I believe Miller beers in the clear bottles always tasted like Hell. But..
  6. dunno if you're joking or whatever, but miller uses tetrahop extract, which is laboratory-engineered to be skunk-resistant
  7. That quote appears to be one from The Practical Brewer (1977), from the Master Brewers Association of the Americas. I'm sure they'd be happy to hear of your research that disproves it. They're having a technical conference later in the year and are currently calling for papers-

jgluck, guillemiro and teal like this.
  8. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

What amazes me about a thread like this is the many stupid commets made because one didn't the time to read the entire thread. I guess that would be asking too much!
  9. I guess they don't teach those "black magic voodoo" subjects like chemistry and physics at some schools around the country.
    StarRanger likes this.
  10. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (285) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

Another solution: drink at night...like most people. ;)
  11. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

But beer does not get skunky after only a couple of minutes from sunlight.
    arniepnminne likes this.
  12. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

[​IMG]
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  13. You win. Screw science.
    teal likes this.
  14. krl2112

Seriously, a couple of minutes? Just because u read something doesn't mean it's true. Geez sheeple.
  15. Maybe you don't smell the mercaptin. Maybe you drink dark beers that are not prone to skunking so fast.

I have experienced this in a minute or less on a bright sunny day, with an IPA (or pilsner, or koelsch) in direct sunlight. It depends on the beer, the sun intensity, and your ability to pick up the skunk aroma.
  16. It appears that this thread has spawned three different factions:

1. Beer Drinkers that disagree with physics and chemistry - We will call them the Dullards
    2. Beer Drinkers that don't care if light affects beer - We will call them the Unaffected
    3. Beer Drinkers who recognize that light does affect beer and find it a mildly interesting topic - We will call them the Target Audience.
    jgluck and jtmiller03 like this.
  17. If anyone has ever been to an outdoor sporting event (Baseball game, football game, tennis, golf, etc) and had a cup of beer in a clear plastic cup, you can't deny that the first cold sip doesn't taste a lot different than the last sip.

If you are shotgunning $9 Coors lights at the ballgame at a rate that they would never get affected by sitting in the sun, God Bless you and your big disposable income budget.
  18. ive done it, and i also dont recomend it. its a straight night ender
  19. krl2112

It's also because the beer gets warmer and cheap beer only is palatable really cold.
  20. Who the hell told you that?
  21. Why are you outside in the hot sun drinking a skunking beer when you could be inside at the computer watching movies and playing games. ;)
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  22. Who the hell told you to make uninformed comments before reading the entire thread?

It's not a theory, it is a provable fact.
  23. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Man, I'm glad I don't drink my beer slowly, from a glass, at noon, in the middle of an open field along the equator.
    mfnmbvp likes this.
  24. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I guess I am one of the Unaffected. If I'm drinking outside it's generally for some sort of social function or to enjoy the whether so I'm willing to sacrifice my beer not being 100%. It may not be optimal conditions, but I've never had to pour a beer.
  25. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Kinda sounds like a line from Naked Lunch.

Personally, I drink beer completely naked in my backyard. Kegstands only, so no skunking.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  26. You should be more concerned about sunscreen than skunky beer.
    fmccormi likes this.
  27. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

I want!!
  28. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Sounds like a good excuse to drink Sours!
  29. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Drink from the can if you're so concerned.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  30. Wait until the mountains are blue, then pour into red dixie cup. Problem solved.
    KVNBGRY and Ernest_Hooper like this.
  31. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

32. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

33. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

I've got the same one sitting down in the basement. This thread has inspired me to wash it out and use it, finally.
  34. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Heat polishing is ideal but considering the thickness of the glass and the glued lables probably won't even stand up well to regular use I'm guessing getting a flame near it and getting the glass hot enough to heat polish it won't do any good. Painted bottles could work great as long as the paint can stand the heat.
  35. I can remember a few years back before I really got into beer, drinking Boddingtons from a glass while helping my step-father put a gazebo kit together. Anyways, in the bright July sun that glass of Boddingtons managed to noticeably skunk within ten minutes. And Boddingtons isn't even particularly hoppy.

I shudder to think what it would have done to an AIPA.

AdamBear likes this.
  36. ShaneP

ShaneP Aficionado (140) Colorado Jan 26, 2013

One of the most niche questions I have even seen. Interesting from an academic standpoint, but 99.99% of people would not think about this and instead will just drink their beer and enjoy it. If you are worried then just drink inside, drink only at night when using a clear glass, or drink fast when outside.
    arniepnminne likes this.
  37. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Budweiser sells billions of brown bottled beer that people drink directly out of... your theory is bunk.
  38. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Its a little different out of a bottle. a reasonable person expects the freshly opened bottle to be clean, but the same person would be warry about a brown pint glass that they couldn't visually inspect to make sure it was clean.
  39. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Say what? What does the same person do when they get an imperial stout in a clear glass? Does their head explode or do they just drink the beer and presume the glass is clean? I can honestly say I have never once inspected a glass prior to drinking a beer to make sure it was clean. I know my glasses are clean at home and I presume an establishment is washing their glassware before serving beverages.
  40. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

What if we've experienced it? "A couple of minutes" might not do that much damage... But 10 minutes, definitely.