1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why isn't glassware for beer made with brown glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Feb 15, 2013.

1. I think the best argument would be aesthetics. When grading beer on this site, most people include the appearance of the beer. It can easily be said that most people like to see what they are drinking, especially the crowd of people who take the time to pour their beer into funny shaped glasses.

So I guess that answers why it hasn't really been done. But there could definitely be a market and crowd for this.

Also, reading this thread has got me really interested in elaborately decorated ceramic steins.
  2. It's getting harder and harder to just enjoy a beer without thinking about everything that has or can go wrong with it.

I gotta stop reading these posts.
    Highbrow likes this.
  3. No one is complaining. I just happened to think of it after reading about the "special" glassware being made by Sam Adams and DFH.

If anyone is at all worried about taste, a brown glass would probably be more effective (and easier to manufacture) than a shaped glass or a glass etched to produce bubbles.
  4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

An interesting idea, but if I'm drinking outside and not under a sunshade of some sort (like if I'm eating at an outdoor table at a restaurant), I'm probably drinking straight out of the bottle (like, say, if I'm pre-gaming). This would be useful for something like Hunahpu Day, except that the pours are generally small enough that I don't think it's that much of an issue. Maybe I need to get a stein in the next couple of weeks.
  5. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I've never been offered the glass to inspect before the bar keep pulls the beer from the tap. So even clear pint glasses don't get inspected by the purchaser and I've been served enough beer in dirty glasses to realize that they're rarely inspected by a lazy bar tender.
  6. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

True, but by your comment you can realize that it is a "dirty glass..." so if it was a brown glass you wouldnt be able to realize this.
  7. Come on Bill Nye the Science Guy, it was a question, geez. On a serious note. When I'm drinking a beer outside, it does not have time to evolve into a "skunked" beer because I drink it, usually before it warms. You could also keep the beer in it's original container.

Continue to unleash your wisdom upon us. Carry on.
  8. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I see several days wasted with glass cutters and emory cloth.
    KVNBGRY likes this.
  9. Yep. Because the Germans are about technical and practical functionality.