1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

why so hard,to find fresh bell's two hearted?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by cadizkyguy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

I find this beer tends to fall off in quality at two months. But I always have a,hard time finding it 'fresh.' What gives.. Plenty of three month old two hearted, but rarely anything under six weeks?

2. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

o_O

thereal and chanokokoro like this.
  3. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I would just drink it when it's on tap

4. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

It all depends on the beer distributor- the guy that sells it to the guy you buy it from. If he is judicious with his purchases from Bell's, he will buy just enough to move, say, two months' worth to retailers. OTOH, if he is more concerned about making more $$$ for himself buy buying shit tons of Two Hearted (and everything else in the portfolio) and getting a volume discount, and then reselling all of it over four months... well that is what happens. Also stupid stuff like not rotating stock at either the distributor or retailer can result in issues like the one you bring up.

5. "Me winning isn't, you do"
    - Ty Webb

crushedvol likes this.
  6. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I find it within a week or two dated all the time.

7. handro

handro Zealot (75) Wisconsin May 25, 2012

I blame the label art. Only people who are looking for it will be buying it. I doubt anyone goes into a liquor store and randomly picks it up.

FEUO likes this.
  8. Since they expanded their capacity and are making more, I'm finding it stays on the shelves longer. About a year ago, you'd find week-old Two Hearted all the time. It would go from the brewery, to the distributor, to the store and be sold in a matter of days. They just couldn't keep up with demand. But since they increased output, there's more to be had and it sits a bit longer.

9. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

I found the december 2012 vintage to be quite nice last night....

Shmuffalo likes this.
  10. The popularity of the beer has grown to the point that distributors need to have more and more on hand in order to satisfy demand and keep from running out every week, if they cannot get JIT delivery from Bell's which is impossible. The dates just back up because of the large demand and need for a larger supply. We are running with 12/27/13 batch of Two Hearted right now, and last weeks order was bottle dated 12/26/13. Your best bet is to find a store with a high turnover rate for Two Hearted, not the guy buying once a month from the distributor.

steebo777 likes this.
  11. I have noticed this recently... I have always been able to find it under a month around here.... It has to do with the just strait up low quality of our distributors around here and their inability to recognize that IPAs are supposed to be fresh. It flys off the shelf here... That being said in early January there was 12/11 and 12/17 everywhere, but since then they have been filling the shelves with 10/02/12.... I mean how do some of these people work in the beer industry, they sure as hell did not get the 10/02 after the december bottlings from the brewery. That is what you get when your Miller Distributor handles a ton of craft. What do you think the owners really care about Bells or Miller...

beergurujr likes this.
  12. On a different note this is one thing I do like about Goose Island... ever since they were bought out their beer gets to the shelf in record time, geee I wonder why that is...

13. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

I wish bell's could address the,freshness issue with its,distributors. I'm sure there is some jan and feb 2013 two hearted out there. Today I had to settle on some bottled 12-17-12... 8 weeks old which I believe when ipas begin to fade.

14. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I can always find it fresh. It's such a basic beer here it's even fresh at the grocery store.

15. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Bell's does pay attention to it's distributors.... but with only maybe one or at most two brewery reps per state, and several or more distros per state, stuff happens. Yes the distributors need to step their game and employ more craft savvy people, especially at the warehouse level. That's where new beer often gets dumped in front of older beer, instead of being rotated to be behind the older stuff. It's all about being conscientious and not just earning a paycheck. Yeah it takes time and physical effort to rotate product- but if you're not doing that, you're failing.

16. Can we at least give Bell's the props they deserve for the very clear date stamp on all their bottles. There should be a thread calling out all those brewers that completely skip this important step, in ensuring customers get the best out of their beers.

RC0032 and beergurujr like this.
  17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Agreed, Bell's has always been on the forefront of dating...Easy to read, on the label, not the bottle. And I like the new coding system they attached, with the A, B, C. Nice touch.

stayclean likes this.
  18. handro

handro Zealot (75) Wisconsin May 25, 2012

Yeah I wish there was a standard dating system. There are a lot of IPA's that I would like to try but they don't put dates on them so I will never try them.

Just noticed that Two Hearted had a price drop around here from $10 to $8 which is pretty nice. Was going to pick some more up but decided to try some Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA instead.