1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why so little love for Peruvian Morning?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtrutlin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

Just had my first of this year's batch and can't help but wonder why this brew gets so much less attention than Central Waters' BBS and BBBW. I have to say, fresh, it's the best of the bunch (BBBW is amazing and the best of the bunch with a few years on it IMO).

All I can think of is that it seems as though CW crossed the tipping point this past year in terms of national exposure/popularity and since last year's batch of Peruvian Morning was infected, a lot of people new to the world of CW haven't had a good Peruvian Morning.

Whatever the reason, I have a feeling people are going to love this year's batch of PM, it's absolutely delicious.
    wiscokid920 likes this.
  2. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It sure is awesome. After this batch starts to make its way out into the world it's popularity will grow. I think too many people had the last years infected batch. The hype of 15 should only help with the exposure of the other beers.
  3. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Just waiting for it to hit the shelves in my area. I love the bourbon aged stuff...but there's something about a coffee stout that I LOVE!
  4. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I also think it's better than both BBBW and BBS. Definitely on par with KBS.
  5. the two bottles Ive had have been well below KBS, BASC, Black Note, ORF, Silent Night, BCBS, Fullsteam IGOR, BA Pt5, and BA Blackout. So if I have to make a trade for a Midwest BA stout, I would always go for Pt5, BA Blackout, Black Note, or more KBS every time. Peruvian Morning is just too far down on the list.

so forgive my lack of love. Just not my cup o beer.
    BlastBeats likes this.
  6. mtrutlin

I'm not trying to compare it to those and I agree that all those beers are a step above PM. My point was, as far as the attention and discussion towards CW is concerned (as well as ISo's), BBS and BBBW seem to get most of the love when IMO, PM is the best of the three.
  7. my guess would be style. Bourbon BW arent as big as bourbon stouts, which the midwest is flooded with. smaller market means more demand for each thing.
  8. Because every bottle I had last year was tart.
    LostTraveler and BlastBeats like this.
  9. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Penguin3200, psychotia and weakness33 like this.
  10. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

I love it. Got some in a trade last year and would seek it out again.
  11. I'm getting some tomorrow. Is Peruvian Morning barrel aged or just a coffee imperial stout like FBS for example?
  12. I got lucky and never got a bad bottle last year. I can still get 4 packs at my bottle shop, and I have a few in the cellar as well. Excited for this years, indeed.
  13. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

my bottles were infected so that might be why.
  14. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I like BBS the best but very much enjoyed last years Peruvian morning as well. I am very excited to get this years in a couple of weeks. I am assuming that the reason last year was do to some being infected. That's probably the only reason.
  15. I tried to get some BBS in PA last month(I failed). I guess I could get Perivian Morning, I has the opertunity to purchase two infected cases of PW last year but didn't because of the sour/bad bottles.
  16. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Had my first one from the new batch tonight.... it wiped away the memories of the tart 2012 release :) Damn-de-lish!
    hoeg0015 and mtrutlin like this.
  17. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Craft has exploded in the last two years, one year since the infected PM. Therefore it hasn't had positive reviews/love in two years. That's why.
  18. It's a fantastic beer. I was able to try it before the infection issues.
  19. Bourbon barrel aged.
  20. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I was scared off by the infection reports last year, but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot this year. Their BB impy stout and barleywine are excellent.
  21. Picking a 4pk up tonight, so ******* excited!!
  22. Oh, didn't realize it was in bombers, figured it would be the same as BBS and BBBW. My B
  23. mtrutlin

It's not in bombers, 12 oz. bottles like the others.
  24. Yep, just came to say I think I've been had by a certain BA... went ahead and picked myself up a 4pk lol :p
    KWMiles likes this.
  25. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Tomorrow at the Central Waters Anniv Party I'll be venturing into the realm of stouts for the first time. Me and my girl will be toasting to the memory of our deceased bar owner friend and since Peruvian was his favorite CW beer it seems only right. If Greg loved it I really do need to try it.
    stayclean likes this.
  26. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Better than FBS but you better drink it fresh.
  27. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I had it a couple of years ago, along with the BB Stout, and was pretty unimpressed by both. Both tasted like weak, watery stouts thrown into a bbal and then completely overwhelmed and masked by the barrel characters. Their regular coffee stout and the BBBW were both good, however.
  28. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Good beer, but had consistency issues last year.
  29. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

PM is my favorite CWs beer by a long shot.
  30. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Drank my first bottle today and I'm rather impressed. It's obviously not going to stand up to the likes of BCBCS but for what it is (8.5% abv, bba, $12 a 4-pack) it delivers nice complexity with BA-enhanced mouthfeel in a lighter and more drinkable format. It's not motor oil. I'd simply suggest drinking it for what it is and enjoy it if you do have the opportunity to get your hands on it.
  31. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Probably because all of their beers are too light in body.
  32. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

You hold your tongue!