1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why the predominance of bourbon barrels for barrel aging?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IamMe90, Feb 17, 2013.

1. standard Jim Beam is 4 years.

Is "rinse out" your term for the process?
  2. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

contrary to belief, depending on the cycling phase there can be a great deal of spirit in the walls of a spent barrel.

the hillbilly term for this is (i believe) known as "sweating a barrel".
  3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

So they make some Swish and add it to the bourbon, classy ;).

So the bottom line is the bourbon is not pulling anything back out of the wood, that is what I was skeptical about.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  4. kzoobrew

My questions revolved around the whiskey itself pulling additional liquor from the wood. The way it was phrased seem odd or a misleading way to describe a process.
    Highbrow likes this.
  5. by "standard" i simply meant bourbon that hasn't undergone this "rinsing" process. and yes, that's all this "special" process is. don't get me wrong, i think jim beam devil's cut is perfectly drinkable.
  6. It is pulled from the wood. This rinse out thing was pulled out of thin air
  7. kzoobrew

To this point you have not exactly validated your information either. This someone's baseless opinion you reference at least described a reasonable process.
  8. sure, from the "baseless opinion" of the distillers themselves, at a presentation i attended by the very same Beam, Inc, when they were debuting the product. get over yourself.
  9. Someone above mentioned barrel sweating. That's a better description as there are different ways to agitate the barrel to get the bourbon out. Simply "rinsing out" is not the case.
  10. "sweating" really just means a longer rinsing/soaking time for some of the bourbon to leach out of the wood and into the water. because that's how it's done. WATER.

this is something that distillers have done for themselves for generations. beam just happens to be big enough and thus have enough barrels where they can do this commercially and bottle it.
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

Red & Blue no age statements.

i think what he is actually saying is there are laws for an age statement. it has nothing to do with this percentage at this age etc. that law most simply put is the youngest spirit going in the vat & subsequently bottle is the oldest age # you can legally describe the finished spirit regardless of percentages or any other factors. rum, for example, is loosely regulated across multiple regions/jurisdictions so age statements are loosely interpreted ("legal" usually isn't in the rum vocabulary when it comes to age).

JW Blue doesn't have an age statement, although they often brag about it having a miniscule amount of 70 year old whiskey, they never mention it also contains whiskey 2-4 years old. imagine trying to market what legally could only be described as a 2 or 4 year old whisky... for $130+. you can probably see how it's advantageous to simply not state Blue's legal age.
  12. kzoobrew

You originally said "a new bourbon out there that pulls the bourbon back out of the wood". The bourbon is utilizing additional bourbon pulled from the wood but the bourbon itself is not pulling anything additional out. This is why I questioned your statement.

Sure that may be a semantics argument but it is probably less of a semantics issue than the sweating vs rinsing issue. The process referenced in both cases is pretty much the same. Hillbillies have made swish for years using this process, not really anything new.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  13. I'm guessing it's semantics. A new bourbon released late 2011, uses bourbon that has been pulled back out of the barrel.

Nothing will stop bloggers and the like from calling products gimmicks. Nothing will change that; we do that all the time about beers on this forum. Calling the whole process "rinsing out" is definately something I wouldn't blame a competitor for when describing the process. The process may be kept proprietary for a reason.
  14. haha, except there's nothing "proprietary" about it, other than the fact that jim beam is so big that they have enough barrels and economy of scale to make the bottling of swish profitable.
  15. easy to find the barrels and they taste good
  16. So you're suggesting that Bud would age well in bourbon barrels?
  17. lol, that OneBeertoRTA dude just blocked me. totally bizarre. of the jim beam reps i've met, even they don't act so defensively over this. :p
  18. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Because it is what the people demand.