1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Why would a brewery release a bad beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Feb 16, 2013.

1. i see your point thats why i used "probably" there ;)
  2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I don't understand why NEW breweries open with lineups that are average at best. If you're going to make a pale ale, porter, and IPA please don't make it like everyone else's. Half of the beers on the market shouldn't be on shelves.
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  3. Yes I am talking about major flaws like infections, solvent smells, and on and on.

Many places sell beer before it is ready, because the taps have to keep flowing. But with capatilism, if the beer is bought and not too many complain, it happens.
  4. I would assume it's mainly to not lose money. There is an example from Mammoth Brewing Company in CA. A batch of their old ale (Charley Wine) went sour, so they released it with the labels affixed to the bottles upside down. I had a chance to try it and it was actually pretty good and other reviews confirm it. Sometimes even if the beer is "bad" it can still be tasty.
  5. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

1st: define "bad"?

2nd: if the offering had actually gone "off", they would scrap the batch. I have visited
    about 10+ breweries from macro to 10 employees.
  6. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (255) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Ha! It's from the movie Wayne's World.
  7. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Mr. Wayne Campbell, circa 1993.
  8. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I guess its been too long since Ive seen it.
  9. The_Birdman

The_Birdman Initiate (20) Dec 14, 2012

It's important to remember that everyone's pallet is different. A beer that doesn't appeal to one person will appeal to others. At some point, it becomes necessary to remember that breweries are businesses-they exist to make money. We all would like to believe that it's all about "the craft" and making amazing beer, but that's just not a real world view point. Many people simply don't have a sophisticated enough pallet to differentiate average craft beer and amazing craft beer. If a brewery can sell a below average to average batch, the funds generated off this beer will fund future (hopefully) amazing batches. In the end, it's all about the almighty dollar.
  10. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

A brewery would never release a "bad beer" for 2 reasons. A bad craft beer doesn't exist. First, the tasting experience is entirely subjective. Second, a brewer wouldn't knowingly produce a "bad beer." It makes no business sense.
  11. Apparently, they didn't think it was bad beer. We're all different, and taste is subjective. Just because you think it's bad beer doesn't make it so. The beer you make but don't share just might be "good" beer to some others.
  12. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Yeah, I've had two Indian Wells beers and they were totally underwhelming, and I even got them for free, which didn't sugar coat my opinion.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I didn't read this entire thread, but my feeling with DFH is that they brew a lot of beers in a "hey look what we can do" sense rather than a "this tastes delicious" sense. Almost trying to prove that they can do something even though it ends up tasting like poop. I've had a lot of great beers from them and a lot of miserable beers from them
  14. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

DFH beers are simply polarizing. That shouldn't surprise or offend anyone. Some people find ancient, recreated ales interesting, while others say "there's a reason no one has made that for 2,000 years." Plus they have a wide distribution so you probably see more negative comments because more people have tried their beers and have had an opportunity to have an opinion, good or bad. My reviews on DFH are mixed, I love some beers and dislike others, but you have to respect what they do...and the fact that some people just aren't going to like a lot of the strange brews they make.
  15. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

It seems weird that you could type that sentence and then not bust up laughing or have a cartoon anvil drop on your head. You really believe that?

How about this: not every beer snob likes hop bombs. Not every beer snob likes smoke beers. Not every beer snob likes stouts. Sours? Wheat beers and Belgians?

And someone's got to be the first to do any new big thing. I'm sure too many breweries do stupid things to try to be trendsetters, but I'll agree with your premise when everyone likes BMW more than Mercedes, Blue more than Green, etc.
  16. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

This might be the worst original post I have read on BA. Let's just stop with the hate. I know, Rogue can be pricey and several people on this site did not like Voodoo Donut (even though almost none of them attempted to pair it with food as it clearly calls for). Also, Dogfishead makes weird beers sometimes. Wait? What? No. You are kidding me. I loved Midas Touch. It was not a run of the mill, just another ipa cranked out and mass produced. It was a well thought out, complex, and rich experience. If you didn't get that out of it, that is fine. Don't bash an entire company because of it though.
  17. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

What I'm trying to say is: even if you may not love IPA's or smokey beers, you can at least tell if a beer was well made or balanced but, perhaps, not for you.

Example: I didn't really like North Coast's Old Ale. Probably because of it's strong alcohol presence or it's strong Wiskey flavor. But I knew that it was a well made, smelled great, felt great, and that there were a lot of people out there that really enjoy huge beers like that.

I was trying to poke at beers that are just not very good at all according to their style, and if, perhaps, the brew master was intending on it being that way.

Everyone just needs to calm down a little bit with the insults.
  18. raynmoon

So you're saying you've never tasted a craft brew and thought "this is just not good at all"

I could have sworn there was a new "drain poor" thread going on at least once a week.
  19. TapeDeck

I hope you didn't read my post as an insult. It certainly wasn't intended that way. There are enough trolls on BA, we don't need any more.

I just disagree. I think that if you don't like sours, you aren't going to have great insight into what makes one lambic better than another. And I think that carries with a lot of beers. I would bet that the average BA is the beer snob among his friends, but wouldn't come close to passing BJCP or any other tasting/judging certification. I'm saying that I think you are extrapolating out too far from "we know beer pretty well" to "we know enough to suggest we know better than the commercial brewer."
    Profchaos20 likes this.
  20. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I haven't yet. But the point I was making is that what I might find terrible, someone else might believe it is good. Tasting is subjective. Sure, there might be some craft brews out there that do not accomplish the best flavor of the style they were brewed for, but that doesn't mean they are bad.
  21. TapeDeck

There have got to be olde ales that I enjoy, that raynmoon would say "this is a bad beer." I think that's the point. And there's a difference between bad as in "bad idea," (me: Voodoo Maple Donut) bad as in "poor execution," (Victory Dark Intrigue) and bad as in "something went wrong in the bottle" (BA Yeti/Pipeworks Blue Cheesewoman) but even those specifics are going to draw disagreements. Remember, some folks LOVED the Belgo Anise Stone IRS.
  22. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Malt+Hops+Water=Beer+Employees+Federal and State Taxes+Overhead+FICA+Lawsuits+...... This is why some beers are released that may not be a homerun.
  23. Rogue and DFH are brewing people?!
  24. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

kzoobrew would be proud!!:)
  25. raynmoon

True, maybe the OP should have said "not-so-good" beer. Taste is subjective, but not enough so that a well put together IPA tastes like garbage to someone who loves IPAs. Maybe for some.

It just makes me wonder what goes on at breweries when they release new beer.
  26. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Not sure about other breweries but three floyds does this because the dont give a single fukc.
  27. siege06nd

siege06nd Savant (490) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

If by "bad beer" you mean clearly compromised, undrinkable, spoiled garbage that a brewery knowingly pawns off to its customers so as to not eat the cost, then I believe "Idiot's Drool" fits the bill.

Have avoided Weyerbacher since.
    Rhettroactive likes this.
  28. I actually like midas touch. It's a recreated Egyptian beer that they formulated from the molecules they found in the chalis of an old tomb. Pretty cool. Sure its not what we think of when we think of beer, but thats because ancient tastes differ. As for Rogue, they do make good beers as well but they have been around a grip and seem to have lost their creativity bug.
  29. Thank God there are the Midas Touches of the world out there...it'd get pretty damn boring with only 6 gajillion DIPAs and double-barrel-aged-angels'-tears offerings to drink...I take your point (i.e. how can I think lima beans are God's punishment to humanity, while my parents love them?), but I think a) shitty craftsmanship and b) different tastes/etc are two different things...I don't think anyone (or few people, at least) would argue that Midas' Touch is poorly made...kinda the same thing as I think Laphroaig (spelling?) is damn delicious (though I only crave it now and again), but to some people it tastes like floor cleaner.