1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wicked Beaver Brewing out of Wolfforth, Tx

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Ford

Ford Member

Wolfforth is basically part of Lubbock. Looks like they signed to distribution with Duff Distributing and will be hitting DFW, Austin and Houston shortly.

I didn't get to try this last time I was in Lubbock last month. Anyone had any yet?
  2. kmello69

kmello69 Member

They were at the Texas Craft Brewers Fest. I tried their Cream Weaver Ale, which was pretty good - could have been a bit creamier for my tastes, but enjoyed it. Good to see them coming this way
    Ford likes this.
  3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I had a test bottling last year. Forgot the beer, but it was okay. I'd be interested in trying more.
  4. Krumb

Krumb Member

I had some of the first batch. Some quality issues...off flavors. Recent batches have had more positive reviews. Looking forward to picking a couple bottles up soon.
  5. Ford

Ford Member

I just picked up a bottle of Cream Weaver yesterday... opened it tonight...it's a Cream Ale.. not sure I've had one.. but this was terrible... it has to be infected or ruined somehow...very chemically and sour... ugh.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Member

heh heh heh... beaver. /beavis

I had the Cream Weaver at the Texas Craft Brewers festival. Just like a few other craft breweries in Texas... Pedernales, Lakewood, and a few others... I found it to be average. Not bad, not good, just right down the middle average.

Chemical taste and sour? That might drag down the average :) I'd have to taste it, but that sounds like there's some wild yeast run loose in their building.
  7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

I won't be wasting $ on Wicked Beaver beer again anytime soon.
  8. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

You thought Lakewood was average?
    Krumb likes this.
  9. Krumb

Krumb Member

not wild yeast...more chlorophenolic. so probably a water issue or something in the cleaning products used.

and as mattloco pointed out...lakewood is average? hop trap <sp> was very good, and temptress was something special. i've yet to try the vienna lager, but i've heard great things about it, too.
  10. DocBrass

DocBrass Member

I have to agree about the Cream Weaver. picked one up from D&Q. bleh! not a "cream ale". more like a fizzy adjunct adjunct lager with barley flakes to make it creamy.

these guys aren't going to make it. too much competition. read the website. sounds like a small start-up from the garage and wanted to make bigger batches of beers.
  11. reifsnid

reifsnid Member

I used to live in Lubbock and was at first excited about a new craft brewery opening in the area. However, Wicked Beaver suffered from continual quality issues (off flavors, flat beer from "conditioned" bottles, etc.) and I now refuse to buy any of their beer.

There's a pretty decent new brewery that opened in Lubbock a little bit ago called Yellow House Canyon Brew Works. I tried some of their beers at a beer festival back in April and I remember liking their green chili ale. Not sure what their plans are for distributing though.