1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wicked Beaver Brewing out of Wolfforth, Tx

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Wolfforth is basically part of Lubbock. Looks like they signed to distribution with Duff Distributing and will be hitting DFW, Austin and Houston shortly.

I didn't get to try this last time I was in Lubbock last month. Anyone had any yet?

2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

They were at the Texas Craft Brewers Fest. I tried their Cream Weaver Ale, which was pretty good - could have been a bit creamier for my tastes, but enjoyed it. Good to see them coming this way

Ford likes this.
  3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I had a test bottling last year. Forgot the beer, but it was okay. I'd be interested in trying more.

4. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

I had some of the first batch. Some quality issues...off flavors. Recent batches have had more positive reviews. Looking forward to picking a couple bottles up soon.

5. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I just picked up a bottle of Cream Weaver yesterday... opened it tonight...it's a Cream Ale.. not sure I've had one.. but this was terrible... it has to be infected or ruined somehow...very chemically and sour... ugh.

6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

heh heh heh... beaver. /beavis

I had the Cream Weaver at the Texas Craft Brewers festival. Just like a few other craft breweries in Texas... Pedernales, Lakewood, and a few others... I found it to be average. Not bad, not good, just right down the middle average.

Chemical taste and sour? That might drag down the average :) I'd have to taste it, but that sounds like there's some wild yeast run loose in their building.

7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I won't be wasting $ on Wicked Beaver beer again anytime soon.

8. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

You thought Lakewood was average?

Krumb likes this.
  9. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

not wild yeast...more chlorophenolic. so probably a water issue or something in the cleaning products used.

and as mattloco pointed out...lakewood is average? hop trap <sp> was very good, and temptress was something special. i've yet to try the vienna lager, but i've heard great things about it, too.

10. DocBrass

DocBrass Aficionado (245) Texas Jul 28, 2006

I have to agree about the Cream Weaver. picked one up from D&Q. bleh! not a "cream ale". more like a fizzy adjunct adjunct lager with barley flakes to make it creamy.

these guys aren't going to make it. too much competition. read the website. sounds like a small start-up from the garage and wanted to make bigger batches of beers.

11. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I used to live in Lubbock and was at first excited about a new craft brewery opening in the area. However, Wicked Beaver suffered from continual quality issues (off flavors, flat beer from "conditioned" bottles, etc.) and I now refuse to buy any of their beer.

There's a pretty decent new brewery that opened in Lubbock a little bit ago called Yellow House Canyon Brew Works. I tried some of their beers at a beer festival back in April and I remember liking their green chili ale. Not sure what their plans are for distributing though.