1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wicked Weed

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by ndepriest, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

A new brewpub/brewery just opened up in Asheville (called Wicked Weed, obviously), and they're making the best beers in North Carolina right now. Their beers are all over the place. Sours, BA stouts, Begian golden ales, IPA's. And everything is terrific. This place is going to blow up, so if you're in the area, I highly recommended checking it out. I didn't eat anything, but the food looked great as well. Move over Foothills and Olde Hickory. There's a new king on the horizon of NC beer.

kpanter, cryme, tommykb127 and 2 others like this.
  2. I'm excited to try their beer, but considering they just opened this fort night, I think they need to get their beer out and let the public decide. Papa Jade, ORF, Event Horizon, Irish Walker...then what about Noda, Starpoint, Pisgah, my friends just opened Trophy nano brewery in Raleigh...lots of great beer out there! And more coming...Steel String, 72 or so and counting I believe in NC!

winbassett and wolfeman007 like this.
  3. thats some high praise...I look forward to seeing if they are as good as you claim or if this was an infomercial that you learned in Social Networking 101 :)

voxomkid, Bluecane and Jpwv like this.
  4. I'm with the others - until I try it, I'm going to remain skeptical. There are A LOT of good/great beers being made in NC, so claiming a brewery that's been open one day is a *huge* claim.

winbassett likes this.
  5. Add Haw River Brewing & Trophy to the list of new NC breweries that I'm really excited about.

SittingOnAMtnTop and winbassett like this.
  6. Can't wait to see what we are able to get lined up for Black & Blue!!!

GehenHerzog and chefkevlar like this.
  7. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Couple growlers of Freak headed my way, so we shall see...
    I hope your shameless pumping-up of this place is deserved though, it would be nice to see an Asheville brewery rise to greatness. None have as of yet.

Uwftke26 and wolfeman007 like this.
  8. Strong words....Let's not get ahead of ourselves here

Mantooth, Uwftke26, ASUBeer and 2 others like this.
  9. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

MOVE OVER HILL FARMSTEAD, FOUNDERS, AND RUSSIAN RIVER

10. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Obviously taste is subjective, and I'm not denying that there are some great beers to come out of North Carolina. And the best beers in the state are probably not being produced by Wicked Weed. But everything they had (20 beers from the start) was fantastic. The consistancy was amazing across the board. My purpose in this isn't to bash any breweries. I absolutely love Foothills, Olde Hickory, Pisgah, Nantahala, and numerous other NC breweries. I just thought that this place was fantastic and wanted others to know about it.

11. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Enjoyed my very long evening at Wicked Weed opening night - "Consistency" isn't the adjective I would use...

I thought the IPA and Sour Golden Ale were both pretty impressive. All three of the saisons were below average. Everything else was in between.

Impressively diverse taplist with a wide range in quality - it's one to keep an eye on for sure.

12. WHAT?!?! YOU?!?! Not impressed with Asheville?!

13. They stole the show at Brewgrass. They had the longest lines all day. Their beer was great and the brewer was very cool. He talked to our group of homebrewers for several minutes. They were pouring an IPA that had a couple different versions. I believe there was an all-Brett and a lacto version. They were awesome! I'm definitely looking very forward to our next trip up to Asheville!

14. This place looks interesting...but the over-the-top accolades seem a bit excessive at this (very early) stage. I will say this: I hope their beers (Imperial Dry-Hopped Koelsch? Just got back from Koeln day before yesterday...definitely back in U.S. "craft" beer country now) aren't hiding even a fraction of the flaws found in their Web site copy. Ouch!

15. commis

Beautiful little city, lots to like about it, but when it comes to the Brewers and Restaurants I have no choice but to be brutally honest! Lots of OK beer, a lite bit of awesome beer, but no one brewer is truly great. Yet.
    I will say though, that I'm stoked about Greenmans expansion. Now that they have space to pump out a lot of the stuff they simply didn't have room for before, I think we'll see them blow up. Their regular line-up is a bit boring but I've had dozens of small batches from them that were world class. They have the talent, hopefully they start to use it more!

nickfl and Bung like this.
  16. I was just giving you a hard time based on similar comments in the other Asheville threads. I think they have plenty of world class beers in Asheville. Sure, they don't have a lot of west coast, imperial, barrel aged, sour hopbombs, but what they do brew are world class examples of the staples. Green Man is a great example. One of the best ESBs I've ever had.

17. commis

Oh I know man. And to a point I agree, most breweries in Asheville have one or two beers that are very good, Greenman has its ESB, ABC has Ninja Porter, Wedge has that amazing RIS, Highland has Tasgall... I'd throw Wee Heavier in there too but French Broad has had some bizarre off flavors in nearly every beer for close to two years now. But there are absolutely a few premium offerings in town, no doubt, but nobody is hitting home runs on a regular basis. There isn't a single Greenman brew that I don't like but the rotation of the same five beers year after year holds them back as far as I'm concerned. Their FB page indicates that that's about to change in a big way though.

18. As a good beer friend of mine said a few months ago "When was the last time anyone was clamouring to trade for anything brewed in Asheville?".

nickfl and VncentLIFE like this.
  19. That's because most of the breweries in Asheville aren't riding trends. OMB is another great example. They brew world class German style beers but no one is clamoring to trade for them because German style beers aren't hot right now. It's got to be aged in a barrel or the latest hopbomb to get any real attention on this site.

20. Maybe yes and maybe no. Maybe it's because I'm relatively connected to the Charlotte beer scene, but when the wifey and I made a trip up to Asheville this fall, we were unimpressed with the beer and beer scene, by and large.

LAB had good food, but just OK-to-not-good beer. Thirsty Monk was a cool bar, but the only thing special about it was the Belgian bar downstairs. The upstairs was an average craft bar, at best. The Green Man pub was OK, but just OK. Wedge Golem was good, but the rest of their stuff they had on that day was just average. ABC was the coolest/friendliest place we visited, but nothing special about their beers either.

I'd take a Copper over 80% of anything I've had from Asheville and it's not even my favorite OMB brew. Plus, I only need to drive 10 mins to get it fresh from the brewery.

21. I watched Steven Lyerly (OHB's brewer) as he drank some Wicked Weed brews last night. He broke down and cried. Olde Hickory will be closing at the end of this month, Steven can't compete. We'll miss you OHB... and I'm sure Foothills will be next.

hooligan74 and wolfeman007 like this.
  22. blackie

blackie Advocate (645) California Mar 6, 2005

Whatever the state of beer in Asheville, it'd be nice if the whole trade-bait scene never took hold.

VncentLIFE, Bung, Uwftke26 and 2 others like this.
  23. Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. On my latest trip to Asheville last month, I had a ton of stellar beers. French Broad's Kolsch, Wee Heavier and Rye Hopper were great. Green Man's ESB, Porter and Harvest Ale stood out. Everything Wedge brews was quality aside from their double IPA, but I especially liked their Alt, Dubbel and Raspberry Imperial Stout. Even Oyster House's beers were extremely well made and they brew on a homebrew system! I will admit that I haven't been super impressed with the stuff I've had from LAB, but do agree that their food is excellent.

24. Agreed. I'll never try to convince anyone that their particular taste is "bad" or that mine is "better". You like what you like.

25. There are a lot of breweries in the Asheville area - and I agree, none of them really blow me away - but the beer scene itself is fantastic and it's only getting better.

26. Define "beer scene" for me. Maybe it's because we're from Charlotte and didn't have any local contacts/know the right people? None of the places we visited were overly-friendly/informative about their beer, didn't seem to be much "beer nerd" discussion going on, etc. Perhaps I'm just missing it?

Help me believe, Mantooth. I want to.

27. There are only a handful of NC brews that folks are chomping at the bit to trade for, most from OHB: The Event Horizon & Lindley Park. I've had some success trading Mother Earth's Silent Night too. Folks mainly want big one off BA bombs right now... or hops, but even less so - you can't really cellar them.

28. -Mantooth is really friendly and chatty, so beer discussions pop up around him. And he jumps bars pretty quickly once people realize he is under-versed in what he's talking about.

-To me, the "beer scene" in asheville is more about the general awareness of craft brews across the board. Most of the restaurants have a decent selection of micros and improrts. Having a ton of local breweries helps too cause you know all of their employees know more than the average person and each of them is a destination if you want to learn something. Part of it to me is also the size of the place and the ability to bar hop across a bunch of places within a walk of each other, that gives it a feeling of community. You could cover them all in a day, but you'd be lit if you had more than a beer in each place, especially since you should be having a handful of big belgians at the thirsty monk. Friendliness... yeah I kinda get that. Asheville bartenders can be a little "hip" at times and I have seen obvious preferential treatment of locals/friends (but that doesn't bother me... that's how shit works).

30. Bung

Bung Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

The hippie/hipster "I don't really care about serving you" style of service is an Asheville staple. If you stick to the places that don't sell food you'll find better conversation in my experience.

commis likes this.
  31. That is the exact vibe I got at the Common Market on Tryon St . the last time I went there for a beer. I sat at the bar and was ignored for 15 minutes until I asked an employee who had walked past me 3 times if anyone was working the bar. He said he would get someone and walked out the door. I finally left without being served the employee I talked to was outside texting. I guess I didn't fit the demographic. I will gladly spend my money elsewhere.

Mantooth likes this.
  32. Bung

Bung Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 5, 2007

The common markets are definetely the most similar thing to "Asheville atmosphere" in Charlotte. There are enough other stores/bars around now that I only go in search of something specific.

Mantooth and Uwftke26 like this.
  33. dirtylou

Let's not use the word "hipster" in conjunction with Asheville. Hippie? Yes. Poseur? You betcha. But not hipster.

My Valdez bottle was pretty tangy tonight - damnit :(

Bung likes this.
  34. I've had that exact same experience there. I've also had really great service. I think it just depends on who is working the register/bar.

35. commis

Ummmm, No hipsters in Ash-landia??? Sorry man, but what in gods name are you talking about? The place is overrun with hipsters. Or are they poseurs because they are guilty of being hipster somewhere outside of the PacNW ;)
    Also, are you serious about your Valdez?? Cos that would be a shame. Not a surprise mind you, but a shame as it's a fantastic beer from an otherwise terrible brewery. Valdez and Bacon are both just awesome. Unless they get "tangy". That ain't good.

planbee and Bung like this.
  36. dirtylou

I really like Valdez, but the bottle I opened yesterday was very different from what I recently had on tap. I'll keep my response beer-related as I differentiate between hipsters and poseurs ;)

37. commis

Ye
    Yeah, again, not a surprise unfortunately. That brewery is absolutely filthy. Too bad too, because when they don't fuck the beer up it tends to taste pretty good.
    I was not aware that one could pose as a hipster. "Hip" being as subjective as it is and all, who's to say who's hip and who isn't? I guess I ain't hip enough to know the difference... They're all fucktards to me.

beerFool28607 and Bung like this.
  38. When Pisgah first opened, they were brewing some great beers - the Belgians they bottled in 750s, Hellbender, the Vortexes and Valdez. What a disappointment they have turned into

39. Ah - to hell with Asheville, hooligan74 - just hit Duckworth's on a Tuesday or Thursday, there aren't too many spots doing beer better IMHO.

Sayson, Rymar9, Bung and 1 other person like this.
  40. Well, I'm in St Louis during the week every week. The good news there is I get to bring home Schlafly, Deschutes, Odell and others that we can't get in NC.

Hopefully I'll see some of you guys at the OMB Fat Boy release on Sat, though!

bmister06, Uwftke26 and wolfeman007 like this.