1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wicked Weed

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by ndepriest, Jan 2, 2013.

1. I'm having a draft Valdez at Duck's right now, it's very good.

wolfeman007 and Bung like this.
  2. Sayson

Sayson Savant (300) North Carolina Apr 16, 2005

I'd imagine Brentk56 was talking with tongue in cheek re Pisgah

3. CLTbeerdrinker

CLTbeerdrinker Initiate (15) Feb 22, 2013

Back on task......was in Asheville earlier this week and stopped by Wicked Weed before heading out. Glad I did. Had the Freak DIPA and the Tyranny Red Hoppy Ale and both were excellent. This. Was my first time in Asheville (along with my first post on these boards) and I just so happened to come across WW by chance. I will be back. The bartender working was very nice and knowledgable on the beers as well.

4. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Wicked Weed makes some great beers, but until they start distributing or the scene there calms down, I won't be going there often. That place is standing room only pretty much every time I go, and I really have trouble enjoying anything in a place so loud and packed that I can't hear myself think. Luckily it will probably die down in a few months' time because Asheville is all about what's new and what's local rather than what's good (hence why the LAB is always packed despite pretty shoddy brewing).

Bung likes this.
  5. A friend brought me back two growlers from Wicked Weed. By no means are they bad. I tried the V-Chocolate Raspberry Saison and their Double IPA. Both were solid, but there are equally good beers in NC. Olde Hickory is still close to tops in my book as is Fullsteam. Lonerider also good with medals to boot. I am over-the-top excited about Trophy opening up too.

Top 5: Olde Hickory, Fullsteam, Lonerider, Foothills/Wicked Weed, NoDa/Duck Rabbit/Pisgah

(I know. Ties are cheating. But this state makes damn good, underrated beers.)

6. planbee

planbee Savant (370) North Carolina May 28, 2009

The owner of my favorite shop took a trip to Wicked Weed and returned with glowing reports of the beer, so I'm ready to try it. I won't be back in Asheville until October, so I hope some of their stuff makes it off the mountain soon.

On the general Asheville beer discussion tip, I've always felt like French Broad and Asheville Brewing are severely underappreciated. Anvil, IPA, Kolsch, Zepptemberfest, Rye Hopper, and Wee Heavy-er makes a pretty formidable sixer. I'm pleased with ABC's one-off's more often than not, and Shiva, Ninja, Scout, and Stuntman are all staples for me. I also enjoyed my first trip to Southern Appalachian Brewing in Hendersonville. Cool atmosphere and love that stout.

Handle likes this.
  7. I dont know if its better than anything, but The Freak DIPA was really good. and Ill second Rye Hopper as really, really good.

8. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Best thing from Wicked Weed so far is that it's less crowded at Wedge.

9. I went on an Asheville trip a couple weeks ago and I thought the wicked weed brews I had were really solid. I had the the BA stout and the pineapple saison. Like others said, standing room only though which I wasn't a fan of. That place must have a ton of money backing it, it was not at all what I was expecting.

10. Pineapple Saison.....yummmm!

eli323232 likes this.
  11. Since when is Olde Hickory closing?

12. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

On Wicked Weed: I was there about a month ago. Guy behind the bar said they'd been open for about 4 weeks. Their belgian golden was tasty, but it was basically a tripel. They described it as being as good as Duvel, which was sadly not the case. But the beer was quite good. There were 19 beers total on offer (combining upstairs and down), including four saisons, one of which was brewed with sweet potatoes and grits. Crazy. Love the fortitude.

On Asheville servers: I am usually in a suit and tie when I visit. Not exactly the artsy / hipster / whatever look. I have consistently had very nice and chatty (when server's time permitted) experiences once the ice is broken, and breaking the ice isn't hard if you have even rudimentary social skills. Beer, food, the server's band, the impending arrival of SN and NB; all sorts of things.

Asheville's beer: I will put Greenman's ESB up against any other U.S. brewery's ESB. It's that good. Also, if you haven't already tried it, taste French Broad's new IPA. Delicious. Asheville brews some very nice beer. And a lot of it.

McNuts likes this.
  13. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Sir, I believe you missed the sarcasm. :p

14. jumboj11

jumboj11 Savant (255) Georgia May 24, 2009

We drove up to Asheville over President's Day Weekend and this was my general thought on WW. While the beer was great, and I loved the atmosphere, it was way too packed. There were plenty of tables upstairs but I was told if we weren't eating we had to go downstairs to the tasting room. The tasting room was overcrowded and there was no place to set your drink down, yet alone a flight tray. Granted, it was cold as shit that weekend, so everyone was inside (I'm sure had the weather been nicer more people would have spilled into their outdoor area) but if you're going to make drinkers only hang out in the basement you've got to have more room for them.

15. jumboj11

jumboj11 Savant (255) Georgia May 24, 2009

Also, THIS.

16. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Pineapple and guava
    Honeydew
    Anise and pepper
    Sweet potatos and grits
    Chocolate and raspberry
    double/imperial/whiskeyed and barreled everything

I'm waiting for them to have the stones to brew some base beers that are good enough to stand up without gimmickery.

17. Missed it like I missed the Westy-12

Handle likes this.