1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Widmer Brothers/Cigar City Gentlemens Club

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beenitty, Jun 26, 2013.

1. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Their collaboration brew with a few variants came out a few weeks ago but I'm not seeing any reviews.

It sounds insane, anyone seen/tried this?

2. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (680) New York Jan 11, 2010

All 3 were on tap last night at Pony Bar in NYC...I didn't make it over but plan on stopping by tonight to try them.

3. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

True. Im thinking about stopping there too but Widmer Bros. stuff I've had has been super dissapointing, hopefully CCB can bring up their game

4. derftron

derftron Savant (300) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

I went to the release party here in Portland, OR at the Widmer brewhaus. All 3 varieties were very very good / great. I personally like the Bourbon version, but the Rye and New Oak were also outstanding. Another cool part of the event was the fact that Cigar City brought 10 of their beers to tap as well and I was able to try Jai Alai, Tocobaga, and a few others (they do not distribute out to the West Coast).

Widmer was definitely helped by CCB on this, as they do not rank in the top breweries in Portland (although they are the biggest and most successful). Although a lot of stuff that they only release at the brewery and do not bottle can be pretty good.

As for a review on Gentlemens club Bourbon, I will say this.

It is an old-sytle ale. The bourbon is front and center. Mouthfeel is somewhat like a dark belgian, think Abt 12. Pours dark brown and was served in a tulip. ABV is at 10.5% and a 12oz pour will get you going for sure

It has been 3 weeks since I had it, so I will write a proper review once it is up on the site. I bought all 3 bottles for $50 and have them stashed at the house to age until a special occassion.

Hope more people get to try this beer. it is really outstanding.

johnnyboy76, CoryR, pinnser and 2 others like this.
  5. ^^^ exactly my thoughts. I've been real disappointed with the Widmer that I've had

6. That does sound really good. Haven't seen it around yet.

7. Jayeblue24

Jayeblue24 Aficionado (190) Idaho Apr 11, 2012

I think widmer does have some underrated brews tho...their Imperial Stouts are mosdef awesome....i had sum W 11 bout a month ago n my oh my it was great;)

johnnyboy76 and sharpski like this.
  8. derftron

yeah. there is a big difference between the stuff Widmer produces for the masses, and the stuff they can create in their taproom. They were bought out by Anheuser Busch a few years back and so it seems they have a mandate to ship the hell out of 5-6 beers that are pretty average. But they can do some great small release stuff when they want to and have some talented brewers on staff

msubulldog25 likes this.
  9. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

Talk about an odd collaboration. What's next, Russian River\Saranac or Three Floyds\Shipyard?

dwagner003, Duff27, Dizbro21 and 4 others like this.
  10. derftron

ha ha. I did have to do a double take when I heard about it. The Widmer bros. do have a lot of respect within the industry though. one of the first to do it (craft) and obviously the most successful (they are gazillionaires now). they gave a seminar the night before on barrel aging along with the Cigar City brewmaster and they make a ton of cool stuff that they either keep for themselves or release in teeny-tiny batches at their taproom. ALthough I could name 10+ breweries in Portland alone that consistently make better beer than Widmer (at least what is released), a lot of those guys got their shot and inspiration from what Widmer has built on their own.

and with that, I am anxiously awaiting the collaboration between Alesmith and PBR

wonothesane42 and bifrost17 like this.
  11. Upper east side or hells kitchen?

12. mdfb79

Upper East Side...there are also about another 15 beers by CC or Widmer on tap.

13. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I actually thought Widmer did some interesting work in their "best of the Widmer brothers" variety box. Prior to that, I hadn't had anything of note from them.

14. WTF I thought this was going to be a forum on a brewpub/titty bar combo! Hey, that gives me an awesome business idea!

keithmurray and wonothesane42 like this.
  15. afksports

afksports Savant (410) New York Aug 22, 2010

Does anyone know if this is draught-only in NYC? Looks like bottles were released at Widmer, and I'd expect the same at CCB. NYC seems to be the only city outside of those two locations getting it - just unsure of the formats.

16. Yeah, but you're going to need craft tits. I hope you know how expensive those can be.

jRocco2021 and Uniobrew31 like this.
  17. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

They're expensive because they're worth it.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  18. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

ABinBev only owns around 30% of CBA, so are only a minority owner. AB isn't controlling Widmer at all.

mdvatab, Dizbro21 and CoryR like this.
  19. derftron

maybe not controlling. but there were changes after the "merger". labels changed and the distribution seemed more focused with their top 4 beers.

20. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

Widmer doesn't seem to know what they want their labels to look like. They just changed them again.

21. I'm surprised there aren't more collaborations like this. It can give an opportunity to small brewers to show their skills to the masses and maybe relieve some hate against huge corporate breweries that people think are out of touch with the craft.

Kreko7 likes this.
  22. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Savant (460) Michigan Sep 13, 2010

I just had the bourbon barrel one land on my Porch. Super excited to try it in a couple of weeks.

23. on that note, at the Festival there was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Brodie's Beers which is an English brewery not available over here.

It was an ESB with American hops and was really good, but I thought it was a really random collabo.

24. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

Just had all 3. Admitted CCB fanboy and Widmer skeptic.

Overall impressions were positive if not super impressed. I thought all 3 were drinkable and would have again, but nothing I would go out of my way for. I think all might do well with some age. The bourbon was the most flavorful fresh. All reminded me of Innis & Gunn's take on BA beers, with a hint more complexity. None matched what I have had in the best BA beers, but I think they are solid and if priced right would be purchases/cellar candidates.

25. mdfb79

Interesting to see different people's opinions.

I also had all three variants last night at Pony Bar in NYC and just added them to the Widmer page. I went in thinking I would like Bourbon the best, but actually ranked them:
    1. New Oak
    2. Rye
    3. Bourbon

Bourbon was the fruitiest version to me, and while the bourbon was there, it was not overpowering.

Rye had a great mouthfeel, smoother than the bourbon version. The nose was similar to the bourbon version, but the taste had much less fruit and more whiskey, though again I did not find it overpowering at all.

New Oak was by far my favorite. This one had a very similar mouthfeel to the rye version, a slightly better taste, and a much better nose. Tons of caramel malts and toffee and much less fruit.

A little surprised to hear people say they think these will age great and be better in a few years, as I didn't find them very bourbon/whiskey forward, and didn't think the alcohol was too much in any of them. I drank 8 oz. pours and had no problem with them...don't think they need time personally.

26. Are these bottles hitting mass distro?

27. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

They are already seeing Distro in Tampa. ABC, Luekens, etc.