1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

wife traveling to portland.

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bishopdc0, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (410) Maine Jan 23, 2010

From one Portland to the the other wife is going to be In Portland on business and wanted to know what should she pick up to bring back to Maine. What is available and a must to bring home. We like hops but as a home brewer I don't get to excited about IPAs, unless they are great, as they are easy to make. I would say any sours and anything unique I was thinking some Cascade and Hair of he Dog if she can find it....any help would be appreated.

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Cascade, Upright, and Hair of the Dog for sure. That'll be enough to exceed the weight limit of your wife's bag. :)

3. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) is doing some great stuff and is really cheap for the quality of their beer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16353

A bottle of the Survival Stout may be worth having.

The HoTD standard line (Adam, Fred, Blue Dot, maybe Ruth & Doggie Claws) should be available at most bottleshops. Actually, you may want to just have a look at the list of bottles that are in stock at Belmont Station (probably the best bottleshop in Portland right now):

http://www.belmont-station.com/index.php?id=bottles

That should give you a sense of what's available. You probably would want her to pick up some of the RR sours as well (Consecration, Supplication, Santification).

--b

4. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I'm sure a growler is a bitch to get in a suitcase, but Boneyard Hop Venom IIPA is a beer your should try. It definitely fits in the "great" IPA category. You should also be aware that the Laurelwood brewpubs at PDX do growler fills. So if she wants, she can grab a growler to carry on to the plane. The airport pubs have all of the Laurelwood standard lineup, and usually a seasonal.

5. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (410) Maine Jan 23, 2010

Good list to start with