1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wild ales/sours in Twin Cities area

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Humulus85, May 20, 2012.

1. Looking for any good wilds/sours that can be found in the metro. They're a style I'm not well versed in, but like so far. Any recommendations?

2. lindemans cuvee rene geuze is pretty readily available. cuvee des jacobins rouge is as well and new belgium la folie are available pretty easily well.

3. petrus aged pale is in many bottle shops as is Rodenbach

4. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Another readily available offering, Bellegems Bruin. Small bottle, so if its not your cup of tea, no big loss.

5. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Many excellant recommendations already. Cuvee Des Jacobins is such an underrated and overlooked beer.

My additions would be Duchess De Bourgogne, Monk's Cafe, and Rodenbach. None of these are sour like Cantillon beers, but classics in their styles.

6. EddieB23

EddieB23 Aficionado (155) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

Jolly Pumpkin (all of them), Anchorage Brewing Love Buzz Saison & The tide & it's takers, New Berlgium La Foloie, Tart Lychee and coming soon Mo' Betta Bretta (Collab with Russian River).

7. I would say avoid duchess, it is artificially sweetened and not as good as rodenbach or cuvee des jacobins.

Alpar likes this.
  8. I thought tart lychee was a little mediocre, what is this mo' betta bretta you speak of?

also, odell shenanigans is a brett beer, I think with some time on it, it will be really nice and sour.

9. EddieB23

EddieB23 Aficionado (155) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

Forgot about O'dell, that one is definitely solid, as well as Saboteur. Mo Betta Bretta is a Collaboration with New Belgium/Russian River, 7.5% Brett Beer, should be coming to the market in the very near future (you know how finicky wild beers and release dates can be sometimes.)

minnesotaryan likes this.
  10. cool, I am excited to try that, will be on the look out for that.

11. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

goose island lolita is great if you can find it.

12. Mick83

Mick83 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Jan 2, 2011

There is 3 bottles of Lolita on the shelf at Boozemart if your in the area.

13. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been looking for Odell Shenanigans, but no one seems to have any more. Anyone seen it around lately?

14. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

I believe I remember seeing it at Edina Liquor near Southdale a month or so ago.

15. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Saw it today at Thomas Liquor in St. Paul.

16. That was an odd beer. I had it on tap at Pats tap a few days ago. It was oddly bitter.

17. Mo Betta Bretta is actually a collaboration with NB and Lost Abbey but should be making it's way to the shelves by June.

18. I got one of the Lolita's today, left two on the shelf, there was still odell friek and shenanigans there, amongst other gems.

19. Thanks all! I had two Lolitas, drank one about 2 weeks ago (loved it), the other is cellared. Just went to South Lyndale and got two Shenanigans, a cuvee rene gueuze, and a cuvee des jacobins rouge. I'm thinking one of the Shenanigans will be cellared for a bit to bring out the funk. On a side note has anybody seen the either of Lolitas sisters (Madame Rose or Juliet) around or does MN even get them?

20. juliet didn't come I think.

21. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Cuvee Rene is so underwhelming...I'd rather drink lemonade...I love that no one in this thread mentions Hanssen's...easily the best sours available in the Cities...oh well, more for me!

22. I actually enjoy the Cuvee Rene for the price. I do agree, however, that while Cantillon is in short supply, I do love me some Hanssen's! I've got the Experimental Raspberry and Cassis on hand at the store right now.

23. dc55110

Hannsen's is one of the best, if not the best, readily available Lambic/Gueuze brewer around these parts. But the price increase about a year ago, took them from a no-brainer, to lets see what else is available.

24. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I am stunned at the love for Odell Shenanigans, I thought that was one of the worst/most disappointing beers I have tried in quite a while. Not sure age will be able to salvage that mess, and Sabateur is not far behind in its mediocrity, imho. I would not avoid Duchess, artificially sweetened or not, that beer is awesome.

lonewolfcry and stealth like this.
  25. HomeBrewed

The price increase was like a dollar a bottle at most for the Gueuze, Kriek and Strawberry...not nearly enough to make me look elsewhere

26. dc55110

Places I frequent, it went form being right around $10-12/750ml to $15-17/750. Not a slight increase in my book.

27. HomeBrewed

Where I normally shop they only carry 375's and they went from 9.49 to 10.49...10-12 for a 750 is a steal...15-17 is a very fair price I would say

28. dc55110

I wouldn't call any of it a steal. Granted I am found of regaling tales from days of yore... But Cantillon Classic gueuze used to be available for $7-8 for a 375ml, 3F Oude Gueuze 375ml were in the same range. $15-17 is by today's standards not outrageous, but nothing changed; the contents of the bottle is the same; you don't get more; but the price went up significantly.
    I will reiterate, Hannsen's is the best (easily available) Lambic/Gueuze brewer in town. Their Kriek is wounderful.

29. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

yes, agreed. i really wanted to like both of these but definitely didn't.

30. HomeBrewed

I am a little confused...you were talking about Hanssens 750's, but now you are referring to 375's of Cantillon and DF...Cantillon and DF 375's are about 10 bucks when in the stores, so not much more than the 7-8 you are talking about...I have no problem paying 10-12 for a 375 of Hanssens, so I would find it quite the bargain to get a 750 for the same price

31. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

I would call a 25% increase in price fairly significant. Now 2 bucks may not be a lot but 25% is.

32. HomeBrewed

I guess, but how many years are we talking about? He said "tales from the days of yore." Does that mean 10 years ago? More? If so, 25 percent over 10 years isn't much at all IMO. There is inflation in every industry. Beer is no different.

33. dc55110

You brought up the price of the Hannssen's 375ml. I was just comparing, what as little as two years ago, I was paying for a 375 of Cantillon and 3F. I think that $10+ for a 375 or $15+ for a 750 for Hanssens, is a bit steep. The recent shipment of Cantillon that found its way into town, I paid $10 and change for a 375 of the Bio (aka classic). As recently as August of 2010 my three go to stores were selling the same 375 for $6.99-8.99.
    How people view prices is relative. I now drop $10+ on things I would never have even thought about just a year ago.

And there should have been a paragraph break between my original comments about 375s and the $15-17 comment.

34. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Reviving a dead thread.

Other than the normal stock (ie. NB LoF, Rodenbach...), anything different out there right now that I may not know of?

35. I saw some drie font golden blend in Hudson last weekend. Over 20 bucks a 375mL bottle, I couldn't pull the trigger. It's awesome, so if you got the cash, it's worth some time.

DaveAnderson likes this.
  36. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

37. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Tart Lychee is a pretty good gateway, don't listen to these beer snobs.

copslovebeer likes this.
  38. Dennis Brothers has The Meddler, if you find yourself anywhere near Cottage Grove.

39. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Juliet was here, I got a bottle of it at Heritage. They got a case I think same with Madame Rose. I also saw Juliet at Cellars for quite a long time actually and Ale Jail had some as well. But Madame Rose was one I never saw well I did as a person was picking it up and walking to the register...