1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Will be in Seattle 3/11-3/18 . Good place to check out?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by asparkoflife, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Im looking for some good bars, bottle shops, restaurants...anything really. also would be down to meeting some BA's if interested.
  2. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (670) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

I recommend hitting Naked City for their current seasonal "The Big Lebrewski" as it is delicious and much sought-after.
    Also recommend Paseo for sandwiches, which is very close to Brouwer's Cafe and Fremont Brewing, two other awesome beer spots. Check Fremont's hours.
    For bottles, Chuck's 85th seems to be the way to go, or Full Throttle if you're in that neighborhood.
    For a crazy food and beer experience, Bambino's Pizza. They make pizzas designed to pair with certain beers (yes, they have a Pliny pizza)
    If you're up Aurora, The one-two punch of Uber (newly remodeled) and Duck Island can keep you busy for a while.

Enjoy your trip.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'm going to beat beertunes to the punch on this one and say hit Big Time in the U District.

In addition to what goodbyeohio said above, a few other bottle shops to check out include Bottleworks in Wallingford, Beer Junction in West Seattle, 99 Bottles in Federal Way if you'll have a car... frankly you can find a lot of great beers at many grocery stores. My favorite beer departments are Central Market up in Shoreline, U Village QFC, and Roosevelt Whole Foods.
    beertunes likes this.
  4. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

All good recommendations from goodbyeohio and draheim. I'd also recommend brouwers if you're up near bottleworks, and Collins pub if you happen to be downtown. Also, I'd recommend the 74th street alehouse for what I consider the quintessential Seattle Alehouse experience. Located in the Aurora/Greenlake area, it's probably no more than a 5 minute drive from the Uber. The alehouse has been around for some time, located in an old neighborhood house structure (I would guess), serving good food and a solid selection of craft beer and imports. Granted, their beer selection is fairly mundane by Uber, Duck Island and Collins Pub standards, but they serve quality comfort food in a warm, neighborhood setting. They always seem to have a solid selection of local craft beers as well; expect to see beers from Hales, Maritime, Diamond Knot and boundary bay on tap there. 20 years ago the draft selection at 74th street alehouse was considered shockingly good... now it's pretty standard for the area. I still go whenever I'm in town, as I just love the combination of neighborhood ambiance, good food and solid beer selection in a rural neighborhood. Their gumbo's the best I've had outside of alabama/louisiana. http://www.seattlealehouses.com/74th/index.asp
    draheim likes this.
  5. draheim

Good call on 74th Street, which I pass almost every day. I'd go there a lot more often if they'd let us bring our 5-year-old daughter inside. Stupidest law in the state.
    jpbebeau likes this.
  6. GNWBC

GNWBC Aficionado (125) Washington Nov 28, 2011

If you make it to the east side, specifically Redmond, go check out the Black Raven Brew Pub, super scandalous PA's and for sure have to check out the Scotch Ale.
  7. Thanks so much for all the recommendations! Ill be checking out as many of these places as possible !
  8. Often overlooked in the North Seattle area of bars besides the aforementioned Brouwer's, Uber, Duck Island, Naked City, and 74th Street Ale House are Cooper's Alehouse and Hudson Public House. The former serves all of their beers in pint glasses regardless of the beer, which means you get 14 pours on Pliny the Elder, The Abyss, Firestone Walker Double Jack, etc. when they are on tap. The latter has great food and a more-than-decent tap list. Also, The Last Drop bottle shop is next door to Hudson. Cooper's, Hudson, and Last Drop are essentially on the same block.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, since draheim has stolen my thunder :), I'll just run down my basic "Visiting Seattle" list:

Breweries to visit: Big Time, Naked City, Fremont, Black Raven, Maritime Pacific, Hales, Big Al and Pike.

Breweries to look for when at bars (in addition to those above): American, Anacortes, Hilliards, Chuckanut, North Sound, Odin, Sound Brewing, Schooner Exact, Elliot Bay, Boundary Bay, Flyers, Skookum, Diamond Knot, Elysian, Walking Man, Dick's, Everybody's, Lazy Boy, Harmon, Georgetown, Port Townsend, Old Schoolhouse, Snoqualmie Falls, Scuttlebutt, Skagit, Silver City, Two Beers and perhaps the brand new Puyallup River Brewing will have their brews ready by then.

Bars: Beveridge Place Pub, Collins Pub, Brouwers is a must hit (obligatory Hipster bartender warning), Duck Island, Uber, The Dray, Yards, The Noble Fir and the places mentioned in the other posts. Basically, you'll be able to walk into any random bar and see local brews you haven't had before. Often you'll be surprised by the quality of brews at seeming dives that in other places would only have BMC. Same applies for stores, you'll want to hit the specialty shops, 99 Bottles, Full Throttle, Malt and Vine and Bottleworks, but you'll love the selection at mini-marts and grocery stores too. Enjoy your visit!
    sharpski and draheim like this.

10. Thanks so much for the in depth places to visit list. love it.
  11. John_M

"Often you'll be surprised by the quality of brews at seeming dives that in other places would only have BMC"

True dat... reminds me that it's been entirely too long since I last stopped by the Mecca. Except I wouldn't call the Mecca a seeming dive... it's clearly the genuine article! http://mecca-cafe.com/
    beertunes likes this.
  12. draheim

13. beertunes

I've never even heard of that place. I'll have to check it out. Thanks John!
  14. John_M

:) First time I went, I stopped by with a girl friend, who loved the cheap martinis and the, ahem, "local color" there. Given the looks of the crowd inside (bums, derelicts, weirdos, etc.), I wasn't all that enthused about stepping inside with her. However, when I got in, damn if they didn't have a sizeable craft selection, and damn if that selection didn't include the Boundary Bay and Maritime Imperial IPA's. I've been a big fan ever since!
  15. Ha, ha. I haven't been to the Mecca in a few years. Last time I was there about half the place was smoking, and that was after the statewide smoking ban was in effect. Great place. But let's be clear - you go to the Mecca for stiff drinks.
    ScreamForMe likes this.
  16. draheim

Definitely a Queen Anne landmark. Love the slogan.
  17. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Absolutely. Even on University Ave, they at least carry Mac and Jack or Fremont at the bare minimum. Was really surprised to see some new stuff from Bridgeport at Rat and Raven a couple months ago.
  18. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (530) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Haha, before the smoking ban, I believe they prided themselves on being the smokiest bar in Seattle. Don't touch the walls for fear of a contact nicotine overdose.
  19. beertunes

20. draheim

Thanks but looks like access is restricted? I don't know anything about posting/sharing Google docs (maybe some other intrepid BA can help), but I can't access this.
  21. John_M

"I believe they prided themselves on being the smokiest bar in Seattle"

Yep, that was the OTHER reason my friend liked it so much. :)
  22. beertunes

It pops right up for me, but that's probably because the googles recognizes my computer. If someone could tell me how to get that to open, I'd appreciate it. Plus, I'd save myself a to of time in future threads.
  23. draheim

There was a button on the page that said something like "request access," which I did. It said it sent an email to the owner (you)... no idea if that is true.

I know that in the past somebody posted an open link to a Google doc on a BA forum and within minutes some douchebag went in and deleted all the content. I'm sure no one in the NW forum would do such a thing (we're far too polite out here), but it's food for thought...
  24. beertunes

Sent you an email. Maybe folks can just cut-n-paste from this thread into future ones. But that would require them to look up this thread, which would eliminate the need for another thread. Oh well, I tried.
  25. kennyo

kennyo Savant (415) New York Jan 30, 2003

i will be out there the 3/30 to 4/3, staying downtown?? around 4th and Spring. I know about Collins Pub?? Elysian Fields, Pike Place. Couple of questions, i dont know if i will have car but is it easy thru public transportation to get to the area where Brouwers is? or the Ballard neighborhood? if so, where to hit.

Also, what beers should i be on the look out for? So much WA beer that i never had, too little time to try them all.
  26. You should take the #5 bus north. Your hotel concierge will be able to give you bus information. Along the #5 bus route, you will be within walking distance of Brouwer's, Uber Tavern, Duck Island, 74th Street Ale House, and Naked City. If you time your travel to hit 74th Street Ale House for lunch or dinner, be sure to have the red cabbage Reuben.
  27. Do my neighborhood circuit.

Breweries: Bigtime, Fremont, Elysian Tangletown.
    Bars: Latona Pub, Uber, Hudson, Publican.
    Bottle Shops: Last Drop, Bottleworks, U-District QFC.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  28. Definitely hit Fremont Brewing and Elysian. If you're around at the right time, Epic Ales in sodo is also a fantastic place to visit. Not only do they have delicious and strange beer, but they often have some great beer-inspired foods to go along with it.
  29. Epic is a lot of fun. Cody is a great host. He works the cheese counter at my neighborhood Whole Foods.
  30. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet (sorry, feeling too lazy to read all the posts) but the beveridge place in west seattle is awesome, and if you're feeling like driving across the lake to the east side be sure to check out black raven brewing. The publican in green lake is also very good (owned by the same great folks that brought us brouwers)
  31. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Also super deli mart in west seattle is so awesome.
  32. What makes Super Deli Mart worthwhile is the $10 growler fills. I would not recommend heading over there from downtown for the bottle selection. Don't get me wrong. His bottle selection is good, but not any better than places that are closer to downtown.
  33. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Disagree. To my knowledge, he still has BBXIII, this is the only place I can find RR Salvation, bunch of Goose Island, 09 Pike Old Bawdy, and any rare bottles that come around get there too.
  34. It appears you've had better luck there than I have. Glad you corrected me. With that said, I wouldn't walk to my corner store to buy Budweiser, oops, I mean Goose Island.