1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

will MN see any CW BA barley wine and/or Peruvian morning?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by elliott1184, Jan 29, 2013.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

anyone hear anything about these two? they were in stores in Madison WI last week..

2. I was told that they would both be coming in, however the local company that distributes Central Waters has gone through a lot of internal changes & restructure over the past month, I'll be meeting with my new rep sometime this week, I'll try and get more info and share it with you.

3. elliott1184

Hey, thanks. I've called a couple of places but haven't really gotten any definitive info, so anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

4. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

i sure hope peruvian morning is coming, considering i'm due a sixer after last year's debacle.

5. Any info on how you got that figured out would be awesome. My 4 pk was soured

6. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Contact them- they are mailing out checks for last years infected batches. Not sure how else they could handle it, or if they have a cap on the number of 4pks you can claim? They have zero way to research if you actually bought the product. You could tell fifty of your friends to contact them about it and in theory they would all get a check.

7. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Well they did have me submit a photo of remaining four packs. So I couldn't have just said I had 8 when I only had 3. But you know, trying to defraud a company that is doing the right thing is cool too I guess. Also, I think the time period to notify them has passed. Not 100% certain on that though.

jegross2 and minnesotaryan like this.
  8. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

do you know for a fact that it's checks? because the email they sent me in may said it would be "A coupon for next years Peruvian Morning, redeemable at a store in your area chosen by us."

i emailed them after seeing this thread to ask what's going on with that whole deal.

9. I contacted them and never got an email back. Maybe its my fault for not drinking the beer sooner?

10. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Same here, I heard about it and when I did I forgot to check mine to see if it had soured. About 2 months ago I remembered this and tried one, yup soured. Oh well I had one excellent bottle of the 4... I'll just skip it this year, plus I've slashed my beer budget anyways as we're trying to plan a trip hitting multiple beer spots in Belgium this summer.

11. I wish I was going to Belgium! Sounds like a great trip already! One of these summers I will get over there!

but yeah, sucks about the PM. I left mine for awhile before opening and each one was bad. Kind of sucks as they gave some coupons out to some people and they didn't even reply to others.

12. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Sad to hear about all the bad PM last year. And I hope hope hope that we get as much of it in MN as we did last year. All the bottles I had were amazing.

13. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I had both good bottles, and bad bottles from last year. When it was fresh, it was fantastic. Had a bottle about a month ago, just for the hell of it, and yep, it was an infected one. Ohhwell, no big deal I guess....took a gamble regardless. Still will buy a 3-4 packs of this if it tastes anything like it was fresh.

Nothing has shown up in Rochester, MN yet. We do have y2k and BBS though. Both are the bee's knees.

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  14. just drink the PM right away, problem solved.

jegross2 likes this.
  15. incutrav

email below:

As we speak, we are issuing checks for this, as the beer is set to deliver over the next two weeks. It became too difficult to find stores to offer exchanges, so we found a way to send out a check to everyone based on our average price of Peruvian morning last year ($12 per four pack).

16. donno005

donno005 Zealot (90) Minnesota Dec 2, 2012

I beg to differ good sir. I was fortunate enough to find both and thought them to be the cat's meow.

adamcarlson28 and bigdaddypolite like this.
  17. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I'm not sure how your opinion differs from mine? Are you meaning you only had good bottles of Peruvian Morning from last year, and never tasted an infected bottle? I said both y2k and BBS to be "The Bee's Knees" meaning they are awesome, which reflect your sentiments.

18. will1256

will1256 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I think he was simply engaging in some good old-fashioned coloquialism humor...

adamcarlson28, Bond111 and dc55110 like this.
  19. I declare this to be the most whimsical post of the season!

adamcarlson28, Ungertaker and Bond111 like this.
  20. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Which disto is going to carry CW. Ive tried mine and no response.

21. Wirtz Beverage currently distributes CW in Minneapolis

22. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

TY I'll have to call my wirtz rep today.

23. For once, I'm happy my son-in-law lives in Wisconsin... i have a 4 pack of Barrel aged BW, Cherry, and Peruvian waiting for me!

24. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Anyone know if Nova has these in yet?

25. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

They didn't on Wednesday.

Ish1 likes this.
  26. accordselux

accordselux Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

Not a bad trade in return for a happy daughter! My father in law said "you make her cry, I make you die!" BBBW and PM sounds good to me!

27. will let you know in the morning, going there for a growler fill.

Ish1 likes this.
  28. Negative on the cw stuff.

Ish1 likes this.
  29. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

i love twitter...the stores are great at letting me know via what ever electronic media the happen to use. i no longer have to wait on others to tell me if somewhere has it. or i could us my phone. or i could have a great relationship with the store.

twitter.com people, twitter.com...or facebook

minnesotaryan likes this.
  30. elliott1184

Sadly, the trend seems to be going away from stores posting the extremely limited releases on twitter; see: Ale Jail, Zipp's, Firkins..

31. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I do recall almost all of them posting the Black Note, with a2 bottle limit. That was 1 case per store, uber limited.

These beers will be nowhere as limited. Watch the Wisconsin stores to see when they get it, they should have lots. As for the cities, I remember when we only saw the BA stout. Whith as much driving around as some people do, Hudson is not that far. And they are open on Sunday. With Growlers.

32. elliott1184

Some stores did tweet when black note came out, but Firkins, ale jail, and zipp's did not.

WI liquor stores are open on Sundays?!!? With Growlers?!?!??!!! What a game changer! ;)

33. He's a good man!! And my daughter delivered the goods today! Haven't tried the BBBW yet....but PM was very good, and the cherry took me by surprise...not a huge barrel taste ..almost wine like...tart ..but delicious and extremely drinkable..I'll try a BBBW tomorrow..I'm sure it will be equally impressive

34. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (595) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I can't believe all the hype for PV. Overwhelming vanilla wipes that beer out. Name another beer where the vanilla carries through the mouth that far? I have 3 bottles I want to move

35. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Yeah - it's crazy people have a different palette than you :p I'll gladly take the PM's off your hands (assuming they're this years).

mnphish and maximum12 like this.
  36. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

This was one of my favorite beers from last year. Thanks for sharing doc!

DoctorRock likes this.
  37. incutrav

I did receive a hand written check in the mail from them on Monday. Thats solid customer service right 'der.

josephwa and Ungertaker like this.
  38. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I ended up getting bottles of Fifteen for mine. They tried hard to get everyone taken care of!

Another brewery with awesome (even better than CW) customer service is Midnight Sun. I had an infected bottle from them a couple months ago. I emailed the brewery on a Saturday night, got a response on Sunday Morning, and had a free t-shirt in my mailbox on that Thursday. It is great to see breweries take care of their customers!

39. incutrav

Nice. Pretty much the opposite of what I got from Great River in Iowa. There was another thread that me and a couple others noted the Coffee Stout of theirs was very sour on occasion. I was told to call the brewery after posting on FB about it. Basically was told that its the distributors issue, not theirs. And HOW is that exactly? I do not touch their product anymore.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  40. Chicone's in Hudson informed me that they are expecting Peruvian Morning and BBBW tomorrow.

Ungertaker likes this.