1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Will this happen to beer???

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Jun 7, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Member

Went into the liquor store and got my beer. Then I hought I'm going to a wedding this weekend where I will see my Nephew who likes wine. I haven't had wine much in awhile but thought I'd bring some. I like liebfraumilch (a sweet German white wine) and inquired about some. The wine guy there said they didn't have any. I was quite surprised. I thought it was a somewhat popular wine.
    So my question is is this going to (or has this happened already) happen to beer where some style(s) of beer may be phased out. You know of any style(s) that this has happened to or think of one that might lose it's popularity and not be sold in stores anymore?
  2. dianimal

dianimal Member

calm down, have a sit, drink a beer. Jeez.
    palmdalethriller and KhakCane like this.
  3. JISurfer

JISurfer Member

4. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Member

Just look at all of the styles of beer listed on this site or in the BJCP style guides.....there are a lot of beer styles that you could call phased out certainly not produced by many. Quite a few of these styles tend to be some of more original and authentic styles. Sort of a shame but makes some sense as the ability to do new things with beer has developed over time which has led to more flavorful brews etc.
    19etz55 likes this.
  5. BennyBeer04

BennyBeer04 Member

There are definitely styles that do not (this is a general statement) usually sell overly well. It is completely up to the establishment to educate their customers on certain styles if they want to continue to sell them. A few styles that I find don't fly off of shelves- Kolsch, Helles, Black IPA, E.S.B., Amber/Red.. again, this is general, but for whatever reason these styles don't seem to be extremely popular. Interesting to see if these are very different regionally as well..
    jahbulon, Mothergoose03 and 19etz55 like this.
  6. Rback

Rback Member

Bring your own to a wedding ? Wish I would have thought of that when my daughters got married.
  7. Providence

Providence Member

Yeah. I'd say every craft style besides IPA/DIPA and RIS is losing shelf space at my local stores. When I buy beer I have my choice of 17 different DIPA's and one Maibock. That bums me out.
  8. Lledd

Lledd Member

ICE, except homemade in dorms.
  9. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

Depending on the kind of wine store you were in, It's not that surprising they didn't have any Liebfraumilch. Its generally a inexpensive (though not bad) and mass produced table wine hurt by labels like "Blue Nun."
    mjtiernan likes this.
  10. Jaycase

Jaycase Member

one store not carrying a particular wine style does not equal the wine style is no longer being made. I think everything will be fine.
    TMoney2591 and 4balance like this.
  11. immobilisme

immobilisme Member

More and more breweries are bringing back endangered or extinct beer styles from the grave. I wouldn't worry.
  12. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

True, its pretty readily available in grocery stores and large liquor stores around here. Buy a big bottle, use half of it to braise some pork products, and drink the other half
  13. draheim

draheim Member

Actually there's a beer board of directors that decides which styles to introduce and/or phase out, every year I think they meet in mid-March in Davos. Might have moved it to Dubai, not sure. Standard triumvirate voting structure as I understand it. Chile beer and gose are on the chopping block for 2014, tripel black IPA is on deck for introduction.
  14. Jake1605

Jake1605 Member

Brew your own beer homie.
  15. DrunkenMonk

DrunkenMonk Member

Same here in Cali.
  16. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Member

There was that period after the early 90s where a lot of the breweries that had crazy beers disappeared and I thought it was all over. Then it started all over again. Like all drugs, it comes in waves, man.
  17. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Member

When have you ever had more than one maibock on the shelf? I dont remember those days.

Im seeing more craft space and maybe pushing out imports, but I dont remember anyone importing their maibock anyway.
  18. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

For as popular as what the Amber used to be (I think every brewery brewed one 'back in the day'), that one is a major disappearance. I never put this style into the same category as a Red, but the defining line between those two can be fuzzy. I'm not crazy about ambers nowadays, but I still love most red ales.
  19. FiddlersBrew

FiddlersBrew Member

So I walk into my local bar and ask for a gose. The guy tells me they don't have any. What gives?
    afrokaze likes this.
  20. 19etz55

19etz55 Member

I think so too. But I'd think they'd carry at least one kind?
  21. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Member

Any of the Big 3 swill, to any craft brewer/drinker :D
  22. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Member

I'm not sure why you thought liebfraumilch was a popular wine. I bet if it was popular the store would sell it. My wife and her friends drink wine like no business and I can't say that I've ever heard of one of them offering or having liebfraumilch and I've never heard one of them say "Oh damn there's no liebraumilch" when it's not on a menu at a restaurant. Plenty of stores don't carry some styles. That doesn't mean they are being 'phased out'. It just means that particular store probably doesn't think they will sell much. My local grocer sells craft beer but there aren't any imperial stouts there. Do I ponder about the style selection or do I just go to the beer store down the road that has some.....

23. If you had raised them right you would not need to bring your own. ;)
  24. Rback

Rback Member

I don't get it ?
  25. RaphaelSC

RaphaelSC Member

The natural cicle of things is equal the cicle of life.

One born, grown up and then dies, the same could be said about everything, incluiding beer!
  26. Kreko7

Kreko7 Member

I think it all happens in trends. Stuff comes and goes in popularity
    19etz55 likes this.
  27. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Member

NO not Gose...damn them
  28. Providence

Providence Member

You're right. I haven't seen multiple maibocks, save for in my dreams. I guess that's a lousy example. My point is that the craft beer section in liquor stores is soon going to be renamed the "RIS/DIPA" section. Would like to see more variety.
  29. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Member

In terms of wine the trends are strong. I can say I work at a store and I've never heard of that grape. Based on how you described it. It sounds like you may also enjoy a sweet version of: Spätlese, Riesling, Gruner, or a niceGewürztraminer. You may also want to look into some Eiswein, and Sauternes. Even a sweet Pino Gris. The Vinyards have to appease the trends to an extent. If demand for Riesling is through the roof and your sitting on acres of Gewürztraminer your stuck until harvest and even after that, you have to move that Gewürz so you can pay the bills. Not only that but you cant just rip up vines and throw down some new ones. Older vines produce more consistant flavors and better yields, so even after your Riesling vines are in... you may potentially have to make 4 vintages of shitty Riesling. and by the then well... Everyone knows 2017 is gonna be Alsace's year:)
    In terms of beer, I think there are strong trends as well there are just more persistent ones, Hop forward IBU centric, and barrel aged beers being some of them. Anyone else notice how hard it was to find four and six packs of Saison/Farmhouse styles two years ago? And now styles like Kolsch and Saison are big on the market. Helles and Vienna Lagers also seem to be making a come back. These are all great styles and hopefully styles like these will experience a huge serge in the coming years. Its cool to see people as passionate about yeast as others are about hops. I don't understand why but hops seem to be very polarizing.

From a retailers point of view especially in small business. You can only sell what people buy, especially wine. At one point South Africa was supposed to be "the new Cotes du Rhone" a few years back. We don't move hardly any South African wine, it just sits there. Every Pinotage that has been presented to me has been descent at best in my humblest of opinions. Wine is where the huge margins are so if you have a whole section of Pinotage sitting even if its cheap which it normally is, its TWO or THREE 6packs worth of profit a bottle. I can honestly say I've never heard of that grape, and thats because I've never had one pitched to me. Wine reps are only trying to sell us what they think we can sell. For the most part importers are mostly bringing over whats trending. I don't have near as much insight on that industry but I assume there is a GABF of wine somewhere and that along with knowing about harvests and how the weather in certain regions is.

Sites like these and Draft are normally going to favor the trends that A: are most universal (Styles that do well near and far.) and B: Limited Brews (more pertaining to the internet community.) These Brews are coveted for many reasons. They are often treated and or marketed as a brewery's "Grand Cru" if you will. Theses beers Command attention, they are often very sought after and talked about. Threads and Articles are going to touch on price, availability, quality, and Trade value...multiple times. Sometimes these beers are game changers Stillwater I think played a large part in jumpstarting the "Farmhouse movement". The Bruery has also been doing their fair share for a few years, but I think their choice of packaging limits exposure, and some of there other limited releases may be a bit polarizing.

Cheers
  30. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Member

Trends change. Remember how ambers were popular years ago? These days you can rarely find one unless it's hopped up like an IPA. Liebfraumilch is not so popular anymore, but you're seeing a small resurgence of Soave and Lambrusco. Pinot Gris is getting hot as well.

With beer, IPAs are it right now, but I can see some other style taking the throne in a few years. All styles will continue to be produced. No worries.
    19etz55 likes this.
  31. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Member

I saw a lady buy a bottle of Mateus wine at my local store yesterday, so it may also be making a comeback. The squat shape of that bottle brings back some old memories. :)
    19etz55 likes this.
  32. lester619

lester619 Member

I would like to see some examples of the open fermented Zwikel type beers like Yokel from NG. Yokel was one of my favorite New Glarus beers. They stopped making it and I haven't really seen anything like it since.