Will TX see Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by wagenvolks, Apr 22, 2012.

1. r0nburgundy69

r0nburgundy69 Savant (255) Texas Jan 27, 2012

just picked up 2 from specs RR, looks like they had a good number left

2. mattchow

mattchow Savant (390) Texas Jun 24, 2012

gf picked up 4x Avery Uncle Jacob and 4x Stone ruination for me this morning at specs downtown. I passed by after work at 730 and saw a healthy supply on the shelf. My friends and I bought the rest of the available blvd love child.

3. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

You sir just made my morning sad, I was ready to jump in my car and head out to get LC#2. :p

4. champ103

champ103 Champion (920) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I have been shopping at Specs for over 5 years now. From SpecsBEERMAN, TheGentleman, Onslow when they still worked there, and now Lindsy I have always had great service. I have never asked for special treatment, but still get it, and I have never seen them play favorites. Along with always letting us know when fresh stuff is hitting the shelves. That is why I have going there so long, I guess people can play the big bad store screwing the customer, and little guys if they want:rolleyes: That has never been my experience though.

Show likes this.
  5. lindsey624

lindsey624 Aficionado (135) Texas Feb 14, 2009

You haven't missed out. I still have plenty of the Love Child

6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (635) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

Wish there was still some Love Child available in Austin - I seem to have missed the boat on that one.

Picked up these at Specs Round Rock this morning, though. Only about 3 of the Uncle Jacobs left there.

[​IMG]

7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (530) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Any sightings on the northside of Houston?

8. ehsteve

ehsteve Savant (260) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Hyde Park Market still has it, but only if you're prepared to pay about a $7 markup.

9. kmello69

Ugh. Guess I won't.

10. randomtim

randomtim Aspirant (35) Apr 18, 2012

Bought 4 bottles of Uncle Jacobs at specs in Round Rock today, plus 10th ruination...

11. LadyOfMuchBeer

If you have never seen them play favorites, then you must BE a favorite. I will say this, since it has really been brought to attention publicly, service there has been MUCH better, so kudos to them for trying to fix a problem of rudeness. However, all locations seem to be guilty sometimes of lying about shipments and quantities of limited releases. When people refer to SPECS as being shady and how they strongarm...it is done at the second tier level, a level higher than customer relations. The beer game is so frustrating in TX, especially Houston from my standing point.

12. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

Beer, just like any other industry in America (and really the world), is susceptible to the forces of money and politics. This should really come as no surprise to anyone. Is it frustrating? Yes, but beer isn't a game, it's a business like any other. One thing that will never change are the forces that move business, one of which is money. Specs has a lot of it, and thus they have a lot of power in this industry. If you think they don't, you're only fooling yourself (I'm not pointing at you, I'm pointing at others who think Specs doesn't get any advantages in the beer market).

At any rate, I like Specs and have had good experiences with their store so far, but I do not get the same type of service at their store as I do with places like Lonestar Beverages or S&K or Perry's Liquor, or any other small family-owned business so I will continue to support those places as often as I can.

Cheers,
    Chad

GregSVT likes this.
  13. mattchow

Passed by downtown specs again, more love child #2, more coney island bba blockhead, but no more Avery uncle Jacobs stout and no stone ruination left.

14. LadyOfMuchBeer

From my POV it is a game. It is a "am I going to drive an hour to get downtown to get this beer and hope I do not miss out" game. Politics is a game of strategy in any platform, beer hunting isn't any different. Craft beer is also recreational...from the consumers end. I am not talking about the business end.

15. thirdeye11

And by the same token, the NFL is a game too, but it isn't run like one. Neither is craft beer unfortunately.

16. LadyOfMuchBeer

Isn't that the truth. Nothing is sacred from today's political business tactics it seems. There are many hands on, caring brewery owners out there though. They make it easier to support the other tiers of the beer business. I have no problem supporting craft brewers in any form.

17. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Advocate (510) Texas Mar 12, 2012 Verified

Keeping hope alive in Fort Worth this drops this week. I saw Samael's at CM yesterday...no price up but assuming 10+

On the Spec's chord I seem to have helped strike. I only want a store in Fort Worth because they seem to have an amazing relationship with distributors of some of the harder to find releases. It seems like they get them quicker and have more (from an outsiders perspective). Often these releases do not make it closer to my neck of the woods than Hall's, unless I want to pay the ridiculous mark up at the Saucer. Really it's all about the beer for me and I figure I can generally be a nice guy and garner some favor when it does open up.

All that said, if I had a better locally owned option I would take my business there in a heart beat, unfortunately it doesn't exist.

18. Barreled

Barreled Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012

Texas got some BA Blockhead? I have really been wanting to try this one!

I knew Texas started getting Coney Island, and I have seen the regular Blockhead around, but I havnt seen any of the BA Blockhead. Anyone know any place in DFW that has any BA Blockhead left?

19. GregSVT

GregSVT Advocate (520) Texas Jul 1, 2009 Verified

Lonestar in Carrollton had some as of Saturday...I got one there.

Barreled likes this.
  20. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

Halls got some Uncle Jacobs in for you Tarrant County guys...I just grabbed one at lunch - $11.99.

H0rnedFr0gs, Barreled and Krumb like this.
  21. H0rnedFr0gs

Heading there after work. UGH the drive, but 2 bourbon barrel offerings will be worth it.

22. Erik

Erik Aficionado (110) Texas Mar 5, 2012

Downtown Spec's in Houston had about 10 left yesterday. Also snagged the last two bottles of Love Child #2.

23. soultrain19

soultrain19 Savant (280) Texas Feb 28, 2008

Petrol Station had some bottles of Uncle Jacob's as of yesterday.

24. pushstartnow13

pushstartnow13 Savant (255) Texas Nov 28, 2011

halls should be getting it this week. Whip in flower mound had 2 bottles this morning. Bottleshop on Greenville might have some left. Specs should get some soon, issues with it scanning. it wil be available on draft at some point at the moth, Strangeways , the common table, and goodfriend. Good luck and look for the shmaltz/terrepin collab soon!

25. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (530) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Checked from a Northside specs and had the employee call to confirm that Specs downtown had 8 cases as of yesterday. $9.99 cash. Went and picked up 2, along with some Fat tire 4pk tall boy cans for $4.99 cash.

26. JayAre46

JayAre46 Savant (250) Texas Sep 27, 2010

Specs on smith street

I just bought one to see how it is and have already had it. It's stupid good, obviously a sipper and having it alone it took me at least 1.5 hours to finish but it reminds me of older viscosity with strong vanilla and bourbon notes but much hotter at 17.42%. I was skeptical of Avery because I thought rumpkin was a mess as well as several of their high abv brews but uncle Jacobs is top notch. It's solid fresh but in 3 years plus it will be ridiculously good. Must have houstonians!

27. JayAre46

JayAre46 Savant (250) Texas Sep 27, 2010

$11 a 12...

28. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Just got back from Specs Downtown. Had both Uncle Jacob's and Boulevard Love Child, although both were in the back and thus I had to ask for them. They had sold out of Stone Ruination 10th Anniv.

29. mattchow

we need to start a new houston thread on new release beers so we can all help each other out. i know ill be going sorta nuts when the new jester king stuff comes out next week.

30. H0rnedFr0gs

I had one of my bottles last night and I have to say the BB treatment is not my favorite on these big beers and why I've avoided the more insanely coveted BBIRS's out there. They are just so damn sweet I cannot pick up many individual favors well.

Bottle #2 will go under ground until my palate evolves.

31. kmello69

This is the conundrum I'm having as well - do I drink 1 now, when it's young, or just stash both of the bottles I have and wait for them to get some age on them, since I'm not planning on buying any more. Tough problem to have, I guess. ;)

32. Barreled

Barreled Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012

Rule of thumb, if you have never had a certain beer before, always try it fresh first, and then age a second bottle to see how it taste on down the road to compare. (most barrel aged beers are meant to be drank "fresh")

That being said I drank a bottle of Uncle Jacobs last night, and I have to say for 17% abv it drinks really well, and was really good. Probably the best Avery beer I have had yet...

wagenvolks likes this.
  33. thirdeye11

I'll second everything you said.

Cheers,
    Chad

34. H0rnedFr0gs

I couldn't agree more about hiding the abv. I drank the bottle in 45 minutes or so and really never noticed booziness. It just wouldn't let me past it's sticky sweetness up front.

As for their best...Seventeen. I never had super fresh, but I found a bottle hidden in a beer cooler about 6 months ago and it was still very very tasty.

35. kmello69

That was my thinking, too. Probably have one this weekend, and age the other. Plus I can't afford the fridge space - I'm going to San Diego next week, and plan on buying a LOT of beer while out there. :cool:

36. averydylan

averydylan Aficionado (175) Texas Jun 22, 2012 Verified

37. thirdeye11

Actually they have had it for over a week, they just haven't advertised it. You can order it anytime. I don't know how many are left, but there were at least a dozen as of a few days ago.

38. SpecsBEERMAN

SpecsBEERMAN Aficionado (180) Texas Jun 25, 2007

Spec's in San Antonio (Live Oak) has a good bit left. $9.99. That location is sending some to the new Spec's on De Zavala as well, but that could take a few days.

39. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (240) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Justed picked up my bottle about an hour ago as it arrived at Specs DeZavala. :)

40. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (610) Texas May 30, 2009

What this guy said! ;)