1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Windsor Yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by meatballj626j, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I just brewed northern brewer's emma's ale (english brown not sure if north or south) in which I used Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. I am trying to think of other styles to use this yeast with. I had thought of trying to do a 3 gallon enlgish barleywine and pitch directly on the yeast cake, but I wasn't sure of the yeast tolerance. I know this yeast is a medium attentuator and that may not go well with a barleywine. Any other suggestions other than a brown ale?
  2. I have used Danstar Windsor many, many time to brew my Bitter Ale. I really like the fruity esters that this yeast strain produces. As you mentioned this yeast is indeed a medium attenuator (which I think is a plus for Bitter Ales) so I agree that using it for a Barleywine would not be appropriate.

Below is what Danstar mentions on this yeast’s data sheet:

“The aroma is estery to both palate and nose, and is usually described as a full-bodied, fruity British ale. Does not display malodours when properly handled. Windsor yeast has found great acceptance in producing strong-tasting bitter beer, stout, weizen and hefe weizen.”

I have never used Windsor to brew a stout but I think it might make a good non-dry stout (e.g., an Oatmeal Stout, a Milk Stout, etc.).

Cheers!
  3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Ditto.
  4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I've used a mix of Windsor and Nottingham (kind of by mistake; it's a long story and not relevant) to make a citra-centennial American IPA. It was very good. I also used it in a blue-ribbon winning brown ale.
  5. Thanks for the help.
  6. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

7. Yea I had thought of that too, but I've been meaning to brew a chocolate stout recipe that I've had for a while.