1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wine Enthusiast Top 25 Beers of 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thebigredone, Nov 29, 2012.

1. thebigredone

thebigredone Member

2. alexipa

alexipa Member

Props to any list recognizing Polestar. Unless it's some sort of worst beers list... then no props.
    BillieWest likes this.
  3. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

Pretty nice list.

They included V-I-T-U-S!!!!!!!! Im happy with that.

Cheers!
  4. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

odd collection...
    Horbar and bstyle like this.
  5. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Member

Not a bad list but I can't agree with Stone 10th anniverary being on there, Enjoy By is a much better beer imo.
    hilgart1 and claspada like this.
  6. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

they run the gamut on styles, I like that.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  7. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

They always seem to be with these types of lists, but this one does seem particularly odd.
    Centennial likes this.
  8. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Member

Worth noting is this response Lauren Buzzeo (great last name, btw) gave in the comments on WE website concerning some beer exclusions -

"Thanks for the feedback, everyone! While I have to agree that FW makes some amazing stuff, certainly including Parabola and Sucaba, unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to formally review those beers in 2012. Per the article's intro, the list is culled from all beers submitted and reviewed throughout the editorial year, and unfortunately, FW wasn't included in those. I have been in contact with them recently, however, so I'm sure we'll see some reviews for their beers in 2013 and, possibly, included in next year's list! Cheers!"
  9. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

It's Wine Enthusiast.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
    tut2528, C2H5, Horbar and 3 others like this.
  10. seplo

seplo Member

So siked to see Smuttynose on there, im bias but i can drink damn near everything they make
    smutty33 likes this.
  11. SteelersX

SteelersX Member

I'm shocked Bolt Cutter made the list.
    I thought it was terrible.

DuClaw is a great choice.
    hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  12. IamMe90

IamMe90 Member

Happy to see saison rue at no. 1 since it very well may be there on my list too
    checktherhyme likes this.
  13. Revenant

Revenant Member

I don't know enough about wine to comment on this beer list.
    Horbar, jrnyc, jRocco2021 and 2 others like this.
  14. patkorn

patkorn Member

Agree. While it is a fine list its still pretty subjective. This time of year you get all the 'best of insert year here' lists in everything. Picking the best beer of an ENTIRE year is like picking the greatest pitcher of all time or the greatest actor. Totally subjective to you tastes. The best beer I had all year was the one in my hand I was drinking.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

I had a snifter of Bolt Cutter this past weekend. I also thought it was not good. Maybe it would get ‘better’ with age?

Cheers!
  16. smokeypeat

smokeypeat Member

Ehh...while I don't subscribe too much to top lists for something as subjective as beer, I at least like that they made some effort and found beers that don't fall under the "hype" banner. Port City Wit being a strong example. I don't know many people even in the MD/VA/DC area that have heard of that brewery and they make strong examples of classic styles.
  17. Cool seeing Traquair House at number 2 as it really is a pretty amazing beer
    keithmurray and Zimbo like this.
  18. gtermi

gtermi Member

Um where is Rogue Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon???? Geesh
    Horbar likes this.
  19. LSUPT

LSUPT Member

Saison Rue #1?! Gross
  20. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

I'm not sure that wine snobbery transitions to beer snobbery very well.
    Horbar and claspada like this.
  21. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Completely agree. I've drunk an awful lot of it over the years and at the moment in terms of structure, core strength and complexity its probably never been better. At a recent home tasting it blew away Old Chubb, Scotty Karate and Skullsplitter (three beers I really do like) like Bruce Lee whooping the Power Rangers.
    canucklehead, champ103 and pixieskid like this.
  22. 30-06pack

30-06pack Member

I could see a wine enthusiast really going for Weyerbacher Insanity - their bourbon barrel-aged barley wine.
    jlenik and fujindemon74 like this.
  23. BrownNut

BrownNut Member

To all of those writing off this list because it's from Wine Enthusiast, be aware that they review wine, beer, and spirits. It's not like all they know about is wine but once a year just hamfistedly stumble into a beer store and try random stuff. The lady who made this list reviews beers in addition to wine.
    drtth likes this.
  24. hardy008

hardy008 Member

I'm not a fan of NG Two Women Lager. Not very good IMO.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  25. Revenant

Revenant Member

Tongue and cheek mostly on my part. On a more serious note that list looks like she was trying a little too hard not to be cool, yet still came off a bit too cool for school.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. Hop Trip was pretty good but top 5 is a bit of a stretch. Top 5 wet hopped beers of the year, still a bit of a stretch.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  27. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Member

Amazes me that Bolt Cutter makes the list when it has only been out for a matter of a month or so. Their wine-ratings are half-rate as well.
  28. finado

finado Member

If new glarus 2 women and left hand polestar made the list then they only tasted 27
  29. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

How DARE a wine magazine venture into our turf.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  30. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

What surprised me was that they listed some beers pretty high up on the list that I hadn't even heard of, plus getting into geeky territory with Bolt Cutter and then throwing in Utopias (nothing new and so expensive) towards the very top and right next to polestar pils (not that great of a pils)...
  31. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Member

Glad Ruination Tenth made the list over Enjoy By...the former wipes the floor with the ladder.
    Horbar likes this.
  32. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

My aunt did at the Thanksgiving table.
  33. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

I understand this...and continue to ignore it.
  34. buddha5050

buddha5050 Member

Wow! two Michigan beers on the list! Congrats Jolly Pumpkin and Founders. I know alot of people here in Michigan who take great beer for granted, I just think we are lucky to have so many excellent breweries in our state...
  35. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

Pretty diverse list, but without a single Russian River beer on there makes it hard to take seriously. Both Row 2 Hill 56 and Framboise for a cure should be on there.
  36. Higy

Higy Member

A good list of some beers with which I'm not familar. I take it with a grain of salt since it is a list developed by WE for wine snobs (not derogitory). Trying to help snobs venture out but ultimately wanting beer geeks to visit their website & read their mag.
  37. bound4er

bound4er Member

Hometown Blonde would have been a better choice over Two Women.
    stayclean and onemanswarm like this.
  38. onemanswarm

onemanswarm Member

Concur!
  39. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this list, it's just one person's opinion. But, it does strike me as trying a little too hard to be edgy without having the knowledge to do so successfully. i.e. he probably tried 50 new beers this year and picked 25 of them.
  40. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

Another list of beers? Oh, snap! Let me get my ticker notebook out...

Yawn.