1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wine Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by The_Walrus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I've read some threads here on pros/cons of wine refrigerators. But, I'm wondering if anyone is using one for beer, and if so, make/model and if you're happy with it?

I live on the 2nd floor of a loft building so I don't have a cellar. I keep my beer upright in a large vintage chest we refurbished; beer is in complete dark and away from heat. But, it's still not the optimal temperature and I don't have much control over temp variation. I live in an open warehouse-esque space, so I also can't just buy a cooler type fridge, dorm fridge, etc without enduring wrath from my girlfriend. Wondering if anyone else has gone this route? Thanks!
  2. I had a Transtherm but it died. It was brilliant though. I want to try and fix it. There are some nice Summit brand ones that can hold 170+ bottles for around $1000.
    The_Walrus likes this.
  3. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I have a Vinotemp 50ish bottle size. Keeps the beer at 54F, but it doesn't hold much and you need to fabricate shelves to stand beer up instead of laying everything on its side.

A full-sized fridge is a much better option. What if you found a cool-looking vintage refrigerator and just paired it with a temperature controller?
    The_Walrus likes this.
  4. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

I Have the same unit.

Jeffreysan, kell50 and The_Walrus like this.
  5. I've actually saved a few links to Summit brands; I found one for about $1100 which seems like an insane spend, but not really considering the investment I've been making in beer over the past few years. I also like the idea of a vintage fridge w/ temp control - hadn't even thought of getting creative. I sincerely appreciate the feedback...good stuff. Thanks all!
  6. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Last year I was browsing Amazon for Wine Fridges for S's and G's and found a 16 bottle wine cooler for $10.99. It said there was three available so, naturally, I bought all three. I even got free shipping because it was over $25. I was assuming that it was priced wrong and my order would get cancelled shortly. Next thing I know they send me the shipping confirmation and they showed up at my door. Best $33 dollars I ever spent. I can even take out the bottom three horizontal shelves and fit about 16 bomber/750s plus about another 5 twelve oz bottles.
    Eriktheipaman, 4kbrianb and JustXBeer like this.
  7. Danby also make some affordable options. Nothing will ever beat the above 10.99 deal, but that is crazy awesome!

No light ever touches my bottles, but I am considering buying a glass front fridge and applying some tint to it just in case. Maybe it would add to the cool factor also.
    The_Walrus likes this.
  8. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

I guess I'm small potatoes because I just have two Vinotemps I got from Costco for $199 each (one originally was for wine, but got taken over by the superior beverage of beer). For the price I really like this cooler, small enough to find a space for, it has tinted glass, holds the temperature well (I keep them at 54), and while technically 28 bottles you can cram 2 or 3 12 ouncers in there as well. I've read the whole argument about upright bottles but for what I'm doing it works for now.
    The_Walrus likes this.
  9. Still good to know. I've read a lot about wine refrigerators at this point and clearly Vinotemp is a well-respected brand. Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm mostly evaluating larger capacity units and the Vinotemp models at 75 - 100+ bottles become somewhat cost prohibitive.