1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Winter trading to/from a cold climate

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by HawkeyeNation, Dec 19, 2013.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have some Abrasive on order for Super Bowl from france44, I ordered them a week ago, no way I get them for the game.
  2. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

The way things are going in MN, you may not get them until April.
  3. nc41

I was hoping a hole would open up, but it doesn't look good. If I would have foreseen this I would have sat on those HT's instead of drinking all but 1 lonely can. It's 13 degrees here right now last sun it was 60+.
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Its a pretty shitty time of the year to ship right now. Arrrgh stupid polar vortex.
  5. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

It's not the best idea, but not impossible if you're smart about it. Be aware of your shipping times, where the box moves through and overnight lows. I just completed a trade this week with a tiny little window where temps climbed a bit for a couple days. Short shipping windows help, I wouldn't send anything that would be in the mail for more than 2 days, personally.
    nc41 likes this.
  6. nc41

Those inbound boxes I got would not have survived a 3 day ship. I have two ships pending, and there's no way in the world I'm shipping them until its in the mid 20's at the lowest.
    franklinn likes this.
  7. core42

core42 Savant (460) Michigan May 5, 2010

I just got 2 boxes in today, 1 from GA took 2 days & 1 from RI took 3 days. Both boxes arrived without any issues with the contents inside, bottles don't look frozen at all & cans aren't bulging, but I will say that I worked from home so that I could grab them literally 2 min after they were placed on the porch despite FedEx never knocking on my door when they deliver.
    It is currently 8 degrees and -13 with the wind chill. One of the keys is having someone at the house when that box is delivered so that it doesn't sit for a period of time out in the elements
    LiquidCourage and franklinn like this.
  8. I_BYE_MI_BEER

I_BYE_MI_BEER Savant (470) Michigan Jun 11, 2013

I'm only shipping to CA for the next two weeks or so - and I put notifications on all incomings. My neighbor is a stay at home mom and she can grab that box from my porch within minutes.

Have completed trades recently with WA and NY as well without issue. I also only ship on Monday typically, no risk of that box sitting somewhere over a weekend that way.

Cheers!
  9. core42

core42 Savant (460) Michigan May 5, 2010

I forgot to mention this & it's huge! I've had about 4 trades over the last month that I had the sender wait until the next Mon or Tue to ship instead of sending on a Wed or Thur hoping it gets to me in time. I also had a couple of CA traders send my box on Thur or Fri so that it sits over the weekend someplace warm & gets to me the next Wed or Thur.
    You want that beer as quick as possible to try but it's more important that it gets there in one piece
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. Even in nice weather, I only ship out on Monday or Tuesday. I am just not comfortable with the possibility of the beer sitting in a warehouse or on a truck in a lot until Monday. Bitter cold and snow only makes the potential for damage worse.
    Beeryurt likes this.
  11. delaced21

delaced21 Aficionado (210) Illinois Dec 20, 2013

So I live in Chicago and am looking to do a few trades but am worried about the deliveries getting frozen. I live in a greystone and was planning on having UPS leave the delivery in our vestibule. Any thoughts?
  12. I'm in Northeast Pa and I've got a couple of trades on hold right now due to the cold weather. I didn't want to risk it especially when they are higher end brews. Although mine would only be left on the outside porch, I was also worried about packages possibly sitting overnight on trucks and such but not sure exactly how that works. Whatever you decide best of luck...would hate to hear about a beer tragedy!
  13. I'm in MN and having a similar issue - one of my trade partners is waiting until warmer weather with a beer that will age just fine during that time, but I've got someone sending me some pliny and we're trying to time it so it arrives on a day my wife has off from work. Maybe you can have someone keep an eye out for you or have it delivered to a friends place?
  14. Ship FedEx and choose hold at FedEx location option. There is no extra charge for this service. Cannot have freezing weather get in the way of beer drinking enjoyment.
  15. My situation was that my fed-ex location is a 'fedex shipping center' inside an Office Max - they wouldn't hold my package for me.
  16. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (685) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

I have been handed a box of beer from the Fed Ex driver that had frozen bottles in it, so even if the person is going to be home, or the beer is just going to sit on their porch for an hour, I would highly, highly recommend holding off shipping until the high temps in the Midwest get above freezing again.

My wife works in the medical field and her company ships medical supplies including some liquids. UPS and Fedex both issued freeze warnings for liquids this week, even for business-to-business shipments.

Not worth risking. Next week should be better.
  17. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

18. The shipper can choose another FedEx location near you, not just the closest. In NYC, you cannot throw a rock in any direction without hitting another FedEx shipment center. Not sure it applies in Minnesota. Wonder how much colder you are than us. Today warmed up to melt a lttle snow (40). Tomorrow 20 and 10 at night. Anyway, hope this helps.
  19. danial

danial Zealot (90) California May 19, 2010

It looks like it should be warming up by the end of next week, which would be about the time it should get there.. I will keep an eye on the weather and make sure not to send in extreme cold
    Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  20. It would help if I were in a more urban area :/ thanks for the advice but I think the nearest fedex to me is about an hour drive. Maybe that's not so bad for Pliny :) And no, we just entered another Hellish cold snap. I got a reading of -18 on my drive to work this morning, and that's before wind-chill :eek:
  21. You continue to be the man.
  22. I would wait until Monday. I have 2 boxes going out but I am waiting for this to pass. It's not worth the worry of something happening if they sit over the weekend. Just let who you're trading with know, I'm sure they will understand.
  23. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Never send boxes that might sit in sub-freezing temps in the winter. Always ship on a Monday unless you know - know - it's going to be sitting someplace safe & warm on Saturday/Sunday.
    skinsfan likes this.
  24. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (525) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I just want to throw this out there in a couple trade forums about freezing. Just sent 2 boxes out to Florida on Monday Feb 10th one had the lie down shipping crates inbetween with bubble wrap around each bottle and one had the wine dividers (square deep cardboard seperators) each bottle bubble wrapped then box packed tight with bubble wrap to limit motion. 1st night picked up by UPS at 2ish p.m. it was 18 during the day -2 overnight according to Weather Channel. Went to Columbus Ohio second night it was 0 that night and high of 20 it only made it to 13 then next information was Weds the 12th they were in Jacksonville, FL at noon-2 p.m. Both packages arrived no leaks no damage. Hopefully this helps some people.

Beers mainly 7% WITH 4-5 being close to 10%. I think the Insanity might have been 11%.
    lowbit likes this.
  25. said this in another thread, but I've received 2 different boxes shipped through and to very cold climates this year. polar vortex, etc. all was fine.

I don't think the ABV matters much at all. I did read that Fedex does not store any materials outside at night, which does matter a whole lot. and I have been home to pick up packages, which matters a lot. packaging really doesn't matter unless you are using legit insulating materials.

even still, I got a package delivered the other night, when presumably it had been in the back of the fedex truck all day, and the high locally was only mid 20's. the bottles were cold, but not even slushy.
  26. Just sent a 30 pounder to Chicago... admit I'm nervous but... what can you do, eh? Maybe that pipe-insulating foam that people put around faucets outside would help?
  27. I've just been in a holding pattern on a couple trades. Rare beer that can't be replaced if frozen during shipping is a must wait in my book. I have no problem waiting as long as my trading partner doesn't either. Better safe and here in April, then rushing something just to have it and only getting half of it at best because it froze and busted during shipping. If it's something I can run to the store and grab again next week maybe, but why pay shipping twice to make up for impatience.
  28. nc41

Unreplacsble beers just have to sit until it's safe to ship, really no other choice. I know it gets dicey with IPAs and non age worthy brews. Lucky any trade worthy IPAs I can get fresh daily.
  29. I just spent a weekend hiking in -10 to -39 degree weather, 5 mile hike pulling a sled with beers packed pretty much like was shipping them. Everything under 7% was slush after 3 hrs, the higher ones made it fine but for testing left one outside the yurt for 4 hrs, it was a Samichlaus at 14%, it was slush to almost froze after 3 1/2 hrs. So by the power of science let's as a group just say in the winter if it gets below 10 don't ship beer.