1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

winter warmer/strong ale. barrel aging?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ford0626, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ford0626

ford0626 Member

My 3 bros are coming in for christmas, so I decided to make^^^
    Kind of a last minute call. It was in primary for 3 weeks came down to 1. 016 around 11%
    I tranfered into secondary adding bourbon chips that soaked in makers for 3 months.
    I have to carbonate friday but it will have only been in secondary and oak aging for 2 weeks + no time to mellow. It tasted good on the way to secondary. I just don't know if this is enough time for it to be great.
    Or has anyone ever done the same thing and had it turn out amazing?
    Thoughts?
  2. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

Are you kegging or bottling? 11% is a really big beer to try and push out pretty quickly. How long ago did you brew it? What type of oak are you using and how much? There are many factors that could be involved in your aging process, but it really comes down to how it tastes to you right now. If you think it's ready to drink, then by all means, drink it. How many gallons did you brew? If you put half or so aside, you'll most likely be much more pleased with the results much later on, like, 6+ months from when you brewed it.
  3. ford0626

ford0626 Member

I brewed 6 1/2 gallons almost 6 weeks ago. oak chips and half an oak spiral. Kegging five gallons, but have a bottle gun so I was going to drink this holiday, then bottle condition untill next fall.
  4. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

I don't know what your recipe was, but I've noticed that dry hopping can help take the edge off of some heavier beers. It'll die down by next fall anyway.