1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Winterfest 2013 What'd You Think

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by igor, Feb 3, 2013.

1. igor

igor Aficionado (190) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

This was my third time and I thought it was the best yet. I really liked the glassware and the food was the best yet. Everyone was polite and no real wait to get a drink. My favorite beer was the Indeed/Northbound Hot Box. I really liked the Matchbox Coffee Porter and American Rye Pale Ale from Dangerous Man. Fulton's Double IPA was tasty. Northgate's Maggie's Leap was yummy. Too many interesting beers to mention really. I finally got to try Fiery Hell from Surly. Wow that has bite. Anyway, great evening, well run and worth the $75 plus fees IMHO.
  2. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Anyone with an extra glass? I can trade last years for one...?

Thanks!
  3. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Andy, you really do need to get this glass obsession checked out! ;-)
    DoctorRock likes this.
  4. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

Manhattan Barrel. That is all
    Hopsiam14, theCoder and mnbearsfan like this.
  5. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

This.
    And the Commander that had been aged for 18 months - Holy Mother Of Pearl.
    And yes, the Fulton Mosaic/Nelson DIPA. All 3 were bliss-inducing.
    laymansbeerfan and Penguin3200 like this.
  6. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I got one for your Crooked Stave Glass...
  7. First year going and it was awesome. Finally got to try BA Edmund and was not disappointed. Acerbity with the syrup was shockingly good. Vanilla BA Darkness, Dawn Juan, Manhattan Twisted, sour from Bemidji and the BA beer from Castle Danger were also highlights.
  8. celtic33

celtic33 Disciple (70) Minnesota Oct 22, 2012

Mon Cherie from Borialis and Spanish fly from Fitgers were two of my personal favorites
  9. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

My favorite new beers at the event had to be Indeed Hot Box, Surly Darkness (BA), Town Hall Manhattan Barrel, Town Hall Twisted Trace, Fulton DIPA and the Flat Earth Kona Porter.
  10. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Dawn Juan was absolutely unbelievable, my fav was probably that sour from Bemidji though and only because it was on par with a number of the Belgian brewed sours I have enjoyed so much. Considering that sour only sat in barrels for 1.5 months too was impressive, it was apparently a blend of the same beer but it was 3 different batches, all on Brett but one was 6 months, one a year and one a year and a half.

Other faves Manhattan Twisted, BA Edmund Fitz, Vanilla BA Darkness, Indeed Hot Box, Kona Porter and the BA Libertine.

I'm sure there's others but those all stand out and I still remember them. Only one I bothered to get twice was the Bemidji Sour, so damn good.

I talked with the caterer and they got a new Head Chef this past year and he was working to make a great dining and beer experience and I agree. I went last and this year, glasses and food a HUGE upgrade (although I'll be honest I poured half of almost every beer I got or I wouldn't have made it out of there without a trip to Regions for a stomach pumping).
  11. Anybody know who won the awards this year? I was in a drunken stupor so didn't hear if they announced it.
  12. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Barley John's won again for Dark Knight Returns.
  13. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Favorites-- the list is long but enjoyed the dark knight returns, fulton DIPA and Barrel aged Libertine, fitgers 1100, lift bridge Silhouette.

Talk to the fulton brewer on saturday and they are looking forward to making a large batch of the DIPA if they can aquire the needed hops.
    evilgenius1917 likes this.
  14. hopazoid

hopazoid Aficionado (220) Minnesota Apr 13, 2012

This was the best one out of the four that I've attended. The beers have always been great. But this years were fabulous.
    Sure would like to get a growler of the 1100.
  15. Take it for what its worth, but my group just happened to walk by a crowd of BJ workers at a table near their booth feverishly writing stuff down. They were filling out ballots for Dark Knight is what one of the workers said. Looked like about a dozen ballots filled out, not sure that would have much impact on the voting, but seemed a bit shady regardless. Maybe workers are allowed to do that though.

For the record, I am a big fan of Dark Knight, think John is a great guy and did not see (nor had any indication) John involved with the ballot situation.
  16. theCoder

OH yea totally forgot about the BA 1100 that thing floored me with how good it was. It was one of the last beers I had of the night too so it was worth it.
  17. It's sounds like by going to the beer dabbler winter carnival I picked the wrong event...anybody go to both?
  18. theCoder

Me, Winterfest crushes nuff said. There was a couple things at Dabbler that wasn't at Winterfest such as that Great Waters and Fulton team up (or at least I didn't see it there, there was a lot more breweries there this year). However non-minnesota breweries at Dabbler had some great limited offerings.

I like Winterfest more because there's fewer people, all local breweries so it gives you a chance to see what may be in your backyard, as well as some fantastic usually hard to find/get or one offs that just make it a special experience. OH right and food and this year awesome food. However note its far more expensive and sells out in microseconds so wanting to go can often lead you to the various forums of people complaining how fast it sold out, it makes it that much more special if you get in :)