Winterfest 2013

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by dougofthefuture, Nov 21, 2012.

1. brydeen

brydeen Savant (275) Minnesota Dec 18, 2009

I vote for a winter Dougfest

2. Mista

Mista Aficionado (215) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

I second Dougfest!

3. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

4. Seriously - might not be a bad idea. Anyone know where we can rent a BYOB banquet hall or something? I'm always up for a pseudo-protest/cellar-depleting event, but depending on the scale, I'm not sure I have a space big enough to host it in the dead of winter.

5. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

YES TO DOUGFEST. I owe you your recycling bins, but your candle is on layaway. I'm sure someone lives in or has access to an apartment complex with a community room we could book. OR...see if one of the upstart breweries/pubs/taprooms would think about hosting a bunch of us??? We'd spend a bunch of dough, share some bottles with them--maybe it's a pipe dream, but it sounds awesome.

6. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

How bout the Rathskeller at the Old Schmidt Brewery. That would b a rad place for a beer tasting.

7. man those prices are harsh.

pearceweb likes this.
  8. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Dominium Development of Plymouth is willing to talk if you've got the Benjamins $$$$$ :D

9. Whoa. I think that might make it the most expensive beer tasting event of its kind in the state. (I consider this event to be different from, say, a beer dinner.) Except maybe for the VIP tickets to that CityPages beer abomination... (sorry, I don't have strong feelings at all about that, as you can tell.)

10. caskstrength

caskstrength Savant (320) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

(winter)DOUGFEST>>>>winterfest.

dandykins and minnesotaryan like this.
  11. I have a few things that would be good fun for winter Dougfest

12. From their perspective, since it sells out immediately, why not give a bump to the prices as demand is there? I overheard Omar say Surly lost money at All Pints North. Having said that though, last year I skipped out on Winterfest because of the price so that I could do APN and ABR.

13. Of course they lose money. It's a marketing opportunity. I think the high prices are an attempt to minimize the riff-raff (whoever those guys are!).

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Was thinking about going this year, but $75 dollars? Even FoBAB was only 45, and no offense to MN brewers, but come on...

15. Sucks the beer dabbler winter carnival is not as awesome

16. I could probably swing a spot, will find out by monday.

minnesotaryan likes this.
  17. Wow! That means to get first stab at a ticket you will have to get 2 of each. Ticket to ABR last year was $40 and All Pints North was $30. If the prices keep in step the way they have the last few years that means that it will be
    2 X 35 All Pints North
    2 X 45 ABR
    2 X 75 Winterfest

$310!!!!

Thats a hard pill to swallow in one sale. They say that there is going to be perks to the purchase at each event. It better involve some type of free food because biglobo is going to have to dip into his snack money at these prices and theres nothing worse then a hungry biglobo thats had lots to drink.

18. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

I might argue that a hungry biglobo who's had nothing to drink would be worse.

biglobo8971 likes this.
  19. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

I don't understand this approach - it's not like they have trouble selling tickets to any of these events? Why bundle them at all? Why force pairs of tickets?

Not a fan...

20. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

They aren't forcing pairs. They are giving those people who want to go to all of them (and I don't believe all pints north sold out) to get tickets to all of them without worrying.

That being said, 300 bones for some beer fest tickets all at once is a lot.

21. Shag

Shag Savant (250) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007

According to the site, the 12/1 sales will be pairs only:

22. I overheard Omar say Surly lost money at All Pints North. Having said that though, last year I skipped out on Winterfest because of the price so that I could do APN and ABR.[/quote]

None of the MN breweries make money on the beer events the Guild puts on. All the comes from and goes back to the Guild. That being said, All Pints North did finish in the red for its inaugural festival.

23. Rumor was 1,000 tickets went unsold for APN. It was a great event though and I plan on going back in 2013.

24. None of the MN breweries make money on the beer events the Guild puts on. All the comes from and goes back to the Guild. That being said, All Pints North did finish in the red for its inaugural festival.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, when he say "they" lost money it must have been in reference to the Guild versus Surly specific.

25. $290 for the six pack of tix. Just thought Id let you all know.

26. But it is a great event, I must say last year at the new venue was a big step up. Matt works hard on these events. I do love Winterfest and have been twice but the price is pretty high especially when I add a 2nd ticket for the wife, a babysitter and a cab ride. Luckily there is good food there and even better beer.

27. I am not hating on the Beer Dabbler, just bummed that no one will bring the A game they bring to Winterfest.

28. Valid point Ryan! I know some people brought some great beers to Winter Dabbler last year but yeah it still never rivals a Brewers Guild Event when it comes to one off or rare beers. Even ABR was lacking in that area when there were two sessions. Just not enough to go around.

29. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Last year was my only Guild fest I've been to when I managed 4 tickets to Winterfest. Every year I'm busy on the day of ABR but this year I am actually not going to be in Duluth, and I was busy last year for APN but was free this year so I tried for the 6 pack and got one. My buddies I attended Winterfest with last year feel $75 is still decent given there's food and the quality of beer and serious lack of people compared to St Paul Summer Beerfest. So some of them will be trying for a ticket or 2 on the 10th to Winterfest (I may try too in case they fail then they can buy mine). I'm interested in these "6 pack perks" they talked about though.

30. igor

igor Aficionado (220) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

I managed to get two at noon.

31. There are tickets on C-list at face value if you missed out.

32. I don't understand this sort of thing. If you were going to buy them to just put on C-list, why make it the face value? If you had a last second cancel and you can't go, it's only been almost 2 hours since they were on sale. I suppose things could change that quickly... but seems odd.

33. They are not my tickets. I was just letting anyone that wanted tickets know some were available. The post just mentioned two people got through and they ended up with extras. That's all.

34. Sorry, I was assuming that. :) Meant it as an open thought. I hadn't thought about getting 4, only using 2 and then putting them up. I'm an idiot sometimes.

35. No worries. I just thought it was solid they were selling at face value. Now there are more listed for $100 each.

36. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

That is solid that they were being sold at face value. Someone please find out who that person is so I can buy them a beer!

stinsonwbs and minnesotaryan like this.
  37. So is winter session of Dougfest happening?

38. I hope so.

39. Dougfest! Dougfest! Dougfest!