1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Winterfest 2014

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by hamham, Dec 16, 2013.

1. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Probably somewhere near "too many."
  2. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (265) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

I was looking to get a hotel in St. Paul so I don't have to worry about driving especially following the after parties. Any other BA's have a place they are staying?
  3. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

If anybody needs a pair of tickets, hit me up.
  4. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I got an extra pair too. My plans got changed (for me) :(
  5. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

please nobody sell them to my parents, who are supposed to babysit my kids that night.
    Hopsiam14 and Douggo like this.
  6. hamham

any idea when we'll see the program?
  7. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Usually the week of the event, Tuesday/Wednesday I believe.
  8. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap I just realized I probably can't go to Winterfest. My buddy who bought the ticket is looking and I am too for a taker for it. Just 1 and I should know by this weekend, likely sooner if I can't make it. Just looking for face value and ticket fee. BM me

Edit: I am selling only 1 ticket.
  9. hamham

who won? i couldn't hear when they announced it.
  10. Barley Johns won best beer with Rosie ( their 18% old ale) and Town Hall won best brewery.
  11. What were everyone's favorite beers at the event?
  12. celtic33

celtic33 Disciple (70) Minnesota Oct 22, 2012

Tea bagged Abrasive and vanilla infused Cold Press Black from Bent Paddle were two of my favorites.
  13. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

On first sip, I thought that should win, favorite beer of the night.
  14. igor

igor Aficionado (190) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

My favorites were Fitger's, USA 25/25 IPA, Dangerous Man IIPA, Lift Bridge, Batch 500 Double IPA and Bent Paddle Nitro 14 ESB. So many interesting things to try last night and some things I missed. I thought everyone in attendance was friendly and courteous.
  15. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Jack Frost... Soooo good!
  16. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Rosie's and Raspberry Coconut Jack Frost were my two faves. Project 3106 was absolutely delicious, also!
  17. Yeah the Rosie's Old Ale was pretty amazing. I was so impressed with it that I had to drive over to Barley Johns today and get a few more. $9 for a 5 oz pour. I thought that was kinda steep and then I made the mistake of asking how much a growler cost... Well worth it though.
    Ungertaker likes this.
  18. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Missed Rosie's, but didn't really need another 18% beer in my system. My favorites: Fitger's Slippery Slope (cacao coconut milk stout), Northbound Snownami (raspberry chocoloate; liked it better than TH's raspberry coconut jack frost...), Great Waters Invidia Barleywine, Schell's Marzen Weisse
    Ungertaker likes this.
  19. I had three beers from Fitgers, both 25/25's and the slippery slope and they were outstanding. I can't wait for Monday when I will hopefully be getting some bottles of the 25/25's. Everything from town hall was amazing, And Surly of course. I really liked the 2010 Smoke.
  20. Ungertaker

How much does a growler cost?
  21. $100! I had to talk myself out of it for that price. It was hard because it's so damn good.
  22. Ungertaker

I probably would have done it. I might have regretted it later, but it is that good!
  23. Is Barley John's still going to have Rosie's available on tap for a while? Why are their growlers always so expensive? Even Town Halls barrel-aged offerings are far less expensive.
  24. Happy for Barley John's to win again, extra glad to see they won with something that wasn't tied to Dark Knight. Hopefully this is the next step to get them on the map a bit more like Town Hall.

My 2 cents: Surly's 2010 Darkness & Abrasive out of the citrus firkin aged barrel. Also was a fan of the Peaches & Cream variant of Lift Bridge's Farm Girl. I'm always a sucker for Bent Paddle's Black Ale with too many adjectives (had it once in the tap room before this) and also partial to TH's Jack Frost. I admire Indeed swinging for the fences. Can't say I'm a fan of many of thier beers but the fact that they're willing to try things that put them out there further than their competitors will always get a tip of the hat from me. 612 had a nice gimmick with the donuts early on but still not gonna sway me.

Totally non-beer related side note, does anyone know what those non-brownie dessert bars were? I probably demolished about a half a tray of those suckers before leaving and would love to get my hands on those again.
  25. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

Some of my favorites: Tea bagged Abrasive, Jack Frost, Rum King & BA Silhouette. I didn't care that much for USA 25/25 but my palate could have been shot. I didn't have Rosie but I hope Barley John's wasn't stuffing the ballot box again this year. Great time!
  26. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I don't know enough about the business to answer this, but I share your thoughts. They seem just ridiculously high priced. Maybe they charge that much because (some people) will pay it. Seems (waaaay) out of line with what other places charge.
  27. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (105) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming they did again this year. Rosie is a good beer but IMO it didnt deserve the best beer award.

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody is talking about the fact that Barely John's is opening a brewery in New Richmond, WI.
  28. theCoder

Technically Rosie's is tied to Dark Knight... Rosie's comes around every 3 years. Year 1 is Dark Knight, Year 2 is Dark Knight Returns which is basically Dark Knight aged in the barrels the prior year's Dark Knight was and Year 3 is Rosie's which is aged in the Dark Knight Returns barrels.

But that's just me being "that guy". I hope to go to BJ tomorrow to throw down some Rosies, I tried it unbarreled and it was amazing then, I haven't tried the BA version yet.
  29. All true.
    Thanks for the post.

Rosie's is an amazing beer.
    $9 for a 5 oz pour at the pub.
    They made 200 + gallons.
    You can get a growler for $105, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had some that spent about a month the bottle, and it just isn't the same.

Do yourself a favor; bite the bullet - and get a pour.
    Just don't be clumsy like me and spill the last ounce...lol
  30. theCoder

Haha, oh I have no problems with the price. Unbarreled I thought was worth $9 a pour so barreled it seems like a steal :p
  31. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

32. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

33. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Damn, it might be just me, but what exactly are you advocating 'buying' here? :D
    McRyan, Ungertaker and Pug like this.
  34. So I went to Barley John's today and tried Rosie, and I'm embarrassed to say that I've been having an internal debate about buying a growler since I left. I'm having a very hard time justifying to myself (let alone my wife) spending that kind of money on a growler of beer, but it's actually that damn good. I liked it far better than The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises, and is instantly in my top 5, if not higher.

It's amazing that it wasn't that long ago that I picked up a single bottle of Surly Four thinking how outrageous it was to spend $15 on a single bottle of beer. Now I would give almost anything to go back in time and buy more of Four, and am actually considering (probably still won't do it) spending over $100 on a single beer. Times have definitely changed perception.
  35. Ha don't be embarrassed! I had that exact same debate with myself. If I wasn't going on vacation this Thursday I would definitely have walked out of there with a $100 growler.
    Sinatra716 likes this.
  36. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Ya know, if it is that good and you can preserve that growler once opened (like, by putting pitch around the mouth and cap) go for it man. Seriously. Look at the money we spend at bars. Today, buying rounds for a buddy and myself, I've paid, with tips, around $40 for a couple of each; Galacticas, Snowstorms, and Enjoy Bys. At a store I could buy TWO 12ers of Snowstorms, TWO 4s of Galactia, and TWO 22 oz of Enjoy By for about ten bucks more.

Look at me rambling again...
    Ungertaker and Sinatra716 like this.
  37. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Well you're just flat out being logical!
  38. I'm not going to lie, I'm actually starting to lean towards getting it now. If nothing else I can tell myself it will be the last time I can get it for 3 years. Can you elaborate on how to keep the growler sealed once it's been opened?