1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wisconsin Micro/Craft Brewers

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WRBeerFan, May 28, 2012.

?

Which Wisconsin Brewery do you like best?

1. Lakefront Brewery

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Sprecher Brewery

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Milwaukee Brewing Company

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. New Glarus Brewery

60 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. What is your favorite WI brewer or beer? My favorite so far is the Pipers Scotch style Ale from Sprecher, and that is only when I can't get my hands on Sprecher's Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale.

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Central Waters hands down. Then Tyranena, then New Glarus.

3. central waters.

4. new glarus then central waters but oh so close

BottleCaps80, evilgenius1917 and KAF like this.
  5. New Glarus' value and sessionability are hard to beat.

leezy, incutrav and psychotia like this.
  6. Why have I not heard of Central Waters! I just looked them up and already found a few beers I want to try. Guessing I can get them just about anywhere in Milwaukee. Love hearing about local favorites!! Thanks for the suggestion, and I apologize for the survey... my first time and I accidentially hit "enter". Couldn't figure out how to go back and fix it.

Any other gems out there?

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  7. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Capitol....Tyranena come to mind as big hitters..have not heard of Milwaukee Brewing is that the Ale House with Louie's Demise etc...

8. I would have to go with Central Waters as well. Out of the ones listed, NG obviously....

9. 1. Central Waters
    2. Tyranena
    New Glarus
    Furthermore
    Dave's BrewFarm

dbossman likes this.
  10. Ale Asylum is bad either.

I like New Glarus, but I feel like they are somewhat overrated...

11. KAF

KAF Advocate (600) Iowa Jun 22, 2007

Bottling Top 5
    New Glarus
    Central Waters
    Tyranena
    Capital
    Lakefront

Brewpub Top 5
    Grumpy Troll
    Ale Asylum (I know they bottle)
    Vintage
    Red Eye
    Titletown

WRBeerFan and Duff27 like this.
  12. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

CW 4 pk stuff is all good, but their six pack line is all pretty mediocre. New Glarus is tops for me, beers like Black Top, Dancin Man and Moon Man are tough to beat. Add in the 4pk/750's, and it really gets good.

hoeg0015 likes this.
  13. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I enjoy many Wisconsin breweries, but New Glarus is by far my favorite. :)

14. BottleMan

BottleMan Zealot (85) Wisconsin Mar 16, 2008

Gotta put Lucette's Easy Rider at the top of the list, closely followed by Ale Asylum's Hopalicious. Anything by Furthermore and New Glarus is also very flipping' good.

15. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

I agree completely. Sure, I enjoy a four-pack or two of theirs every year, but calling their regular lineup 'mediocre' is generous. There's a reason every Twin Cities liquor store has had a huge supply of them on super sale for the last couple months. I judge a brewery somewhat on their specialty lineup, but mostly on their everyday production. New Glarus far exceeds CW in this regard. As does Tyranena, though they've seemingly stalled in their innovations over the last couple years.

WRBeerFan likes this.
  16. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Wisconsin is good beer rich.

17. 1. Central Waters
    2. O'so
    3. Tyranena
    4. Potosi

Chilton Beer Fest was just a couple of weekends ago......30 Wisconsin microbreweries.....mmmmmm

18. The order is as follows as some of you are clearly mistaken.

1. Central Waters/New Glarus tie
    2. Ale Asylum
    3. Tyranena
    4. Lake Louie (for their scotch ales which are world class)

19. From a short visit that I paid to Milwaukee, I would go :

1. New Glarus
    2. Central Waters
    3. toss up between Ale Asylum and Tyranena

OnWisconsin likes this.
  20. I used to go to Hudson every couple of Months to pick up stuff we couldn't get here, particularly New Glarus. I don't think I've done that in a couple of years now. I need to get back over there and stock up!

21. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

I love New Glarus but there distribution policy makes me angry! So for now I brew my own spotted Cow with the help of Northern Brewer.

22. Agreed, that is why I grab some whenever I come up to Milwaukee from Chicago, particuarly from Mars' Cheese Castle (New Glarus Mix-A-Six anyone?)

But to answer the question, I would say Tyranena, followed by New Glarus

23. s_wit

s_wit Savant (395) Wisconsin Apr 26, 2012

Not many people are mentioning Lake Louie. Their scotch ales (normal and reserve) are my favorite scotch ales. I like Central Waters and Ale Asylum. New Glarus and Sprecher are decent but not my favorite.

WRBeerFan likes this.
  24. Sorry for replying a year later, but yes.. Milwaukee Ale House is their restaurant.

25. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

This poll is a blow out. CW is good, but overall I voted NG. Their sours are sooo good, although ive been hankering for CW Exodus ever since I drink the crap out of it at ABR. When is that usually released?

26. New Glarus fruit beers on a hot summer day can't be beat.

27. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (635) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Preference always goes to barrel aged beers, hence, Central Waters!

NG has unbeatable fruit beers though!

BottleCaps80 and lonewolfcry like this.
  28. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I have to go with others and say that Central Waters gets eliminated automatically because their yearly lineup is so mediocre. I only buy their special 4-pack offerings. Illumination and non-soured Peruvian Morning are two of my most favored beers. Otherwise, meh. My vote would go towards New Glarus. All their beers are good if only solid. Their most boring beer is their best seller. How can you go against that? Central Waters real needs to step up their year round and seasonal offerings beyond just updating the packaging. Tyranena seems to be another that is stuck in a rut. I like most of their beers but finding them, and finding them fresh, is an increasingly difficult expedition.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  29. If only CW could make barrel aged beers that weren't plagued with souring issues after a month or two I would agree

30. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Which of their BA'd beers other than PM have ever had infection issues? Their barrel program is among the best in the Midwest.

josephwa and s_wit like this.
  31. My cherry was a bit off by the time i got to the last 4 pack, similar to PM. The BA Barleywine was outstanding though. I can't with a straight face declare their ba program the best when the same issue repeats itself over 2 years. Maybe the most extensive...but not the best

32. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (400) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

New Glarus is EASILY the king. Central Waters is mediocre, at best, when it comes to anything not Barrel Aged.

33. Capital. Mostly because I just really enjoy their Supper Club.

34. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

The BB Cherry is great with 6 months on it. I hope to get a 4pk this year. I also can't wait to open the Space Ghost they just released. Early results are that it is rich and creamy, unlike their other stouts.

Once Karben4 starts bottling, Fantasy Factory will be my go to IPA.

35. I had 3 4 packs...yours was good at that point mine wasn't. Similar to peoples PMorning. Most of mine was good..some wasn't. I too am looking forward to Space Ghost. CW does alot of good things Barrel - wise but obviously have issues that need correcting.

36. 1. O'so
    2. Central Waters
    3. New Glarus

I really like what O'so is doing with sour's right now. New Glarus will probably move to first or second when they finish their addition and start making more sour beers.

37. CW also handled the infected peruvian Morning very well by offering refunds!

BottleCaps80 likes this.