1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wit Advice

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by HoppyPhillyPhan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. So, Im getting a galaxy dry hopped wit going this weekend.. My grain Bill for a 5gallon batch is as follows:
    • 4 Pounds 2-row
    • 3lbs Flaked Wheat
    • 2lbs German Wheat Malt
    • .5 lbs Quick oats
    • .15lbs Acidulated Malt
    • WY3711 a French Saison Yeast.
    Anybody ferment this yeast at 70 degrees and have luck with it? Im hoping the yeast brings out hop character and mandarin orange zest I add.
  2. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

3. I was looking for a second opinion before i invest in this recipe. It sounds like a great beer but has a few twists..
  4. I think the recipe looks good...

I may have over-done it with two ounces of Galaxy for the dry hop. Pre-carbonation their aromatics seemed to dominate the spices, and to a lesser extent the yeast. It's on gas now, hoping to have it ready to try for this weekend. Hopefully a week of cold conditioning will have cleaned things up, and the carbonation will make the other aromatics pop.
    mattsander likes this.
  5. I have 3.5 oz of leaf I was gona use. Did u use pellets? Did u ferment that yeast high?
  6. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Not to nit pick, just curious; what makes this a wit (and I'm mot saying its not, I'm not a wit expert)? No coriander, citrus peel, other herbs like camomile, or wit yeast... You can get the pepper, citrus, and phenolics from that yeast (and also fruit/citrus from the Galaxy). Is that what you were planning? Btw I love 3711 and the recipe.

I've used 3711 many times, but never higher than high 60's with a start in the low 60's, but you will def get citrus tartness and wit-like phenols from the yeast.
  7. I will def be adding coriander and zest from mandarin oranges. I even thought about letting it dry hop on some mardarin skins along with the galaxy hops. My concern is if the 3711 is gona leave the same creamy texture as a wit/fruits of the forest yeast? Im excited about getting this going this weekend!
  8. I used Galaxy pellets. Hop nose certainly calmed down now that it’s kegged and carbonated.

3711 is a big glycerin producer, but the body probably isn't as creamy as a classic wit. No reason not to use another strain. I had 3711 on hand, so I went with it. I fermented with an ambient in the mid-60s, didn't want the yeast character dominating.
  9. “My concern is if the 3711 is gona leave the same creamy texture as a wit”

I have only used 3711 for making Saison beers and that strain of yeast ‘eats’ all types of sugars resulting in an super dry beer. I can’t envision that strain ever resulting in a creamy texture. The classic Wit strain is WY3944/WLP400. I have absolutely no idea what yeast strain Affligem uses for their beer Fruits des Bois.

Cheers!
  10. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Pretty much agree. You could mitigate with high mash temps and/or grain selection, but ultimately I think it's a losing battle.
  11. I mashed at 158F, and the beer ended up at 1.009. ~82% AA, not too low, but a few points lower than the standard.
  12. Would you have used the verbiage of “creamy texture” in describing your beer?

Cheers!
  13. 158 Mash temp seems high.. I usually mash at 148-150 to get a better fermentable wort.
  14. “158 Mash temp seems high.. I usually mash at 148-150 to get a better fermentable wort.”

The rationale for mashing at 158°F is specifically to get a less fermentable wort. The resulting beer will have more body to it (and a higher Final Gravity). If you desire to have a “creamy texture” to your Wit, and you use 3711 as your yeast strain, then mashing at a higher temperature is a must.

OldSock reported that for his beer and mashing at 158°F he achieved a Final Gravity of 1.009. I personally would not associate a Final Gravity of 1.009 with the description of “creamy texture” but everybody has a different palate.

I would suggest that if you want a Wit with a “creamy texture” that you don’t use 3711 regardless of what temperature you decide to mash. I should provide a caveat by paraphrasing the Dude from the mover Big Lebowski: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Good luck with your Wit.

Cheers!
  15. Exactly! With a standard (148-152F) saccharification rest, 3711 would take a moderate gravity beer like this, that has no crystal malt, very close to 1.000. I wouldn’t mash that hot, for this recipe, if I had used a less attenuative strain. That said, between the glycerin from the yeast, and the proteins from the wheat, despite the dryish FG, the beer still has a decent amount of body to it. Creamy it is not though.

I also meant to mention earlier, that the acid malt addition was for pH correction with my water. if you have lower carbonate than my (San Diego mimicked) water, you may not need it.
  16. Good Stuff! Cant wait to brew tomorrow!