1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

With better beer in Aus - has that affected your drinking???

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Folks,

Interesting one popped up after reading this

http://beerisyourfriend.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/riding-the-weekday-wagon/#comments

Now that we all seem to be in a better place - as opposed to say this time last year - with much better beer floating round in Aus, what effect has this had on your drinking habits?

I always used to drink only Fri night to Sun night - and yes sometimes and oftentimes too much - but these days I find myself opening up a beer (or two) one or two weeknights as well.

How have your drinking habits changed over say the last year - think that is the last time we discussed this. I play football once a week, and run for about an hour twice a week, as well.
    I am also interested in your exercise to offset the beer.

Cheers,

2. foles

foles Savant (430) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Yes its affected my drinking habits. I drink less, more often. I think thats a healthier approach than drinking only on the weekend, but bingeing.

3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (630) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I generally allow a night early during the week for tastings with fellow BA's or opening a few smaller bottles at home. Don't have a lot of time later during the week for drinking. Will drink some things on the weekend. No real change there from 12 months ago.

The big change is pub visits. I have definitely been out to the pub a lot less. Combination of less time as a result of various things and not a lot of beers on tap there to tempt me out versus beers i could drink at home. I don't really see the point of drinking bottled beer at most pubs in Sydney given the markups . As much as i love Cantillon Gueuze i don't really like dropping $35 on a bottle, likewise Wild Thing at $18.

Exercise is based around my sport: rowing. Typical program is something along the lines of training on the water on 2-3 weekday mornings and coaching another. Try to get out on the water on at least one or hopefully both weekend mornings. Do 2 weights/core sessions a week, 1 circuits, 1 rowing machine and 1-2 runs/rides a week.

Generally try and work the rowing mornings midweek around a tasting, so try and have that the night before coaching, or the night before a sleep in.

4. spicelab

spicelab Savant (440) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I wouldn't say that my drinking habits have been influenced in a way that I could sheet home to the upsurge in awesome Australian beers, but the need to balance consumption with exercise/activity is something I've always been mindful of. That said, it's a constant struggle and my ability to keep things in check fluctuates wildly (like currently - cheers Sydney Craft Beer Week).

My problem is I loathe asceticism and moderation. I'd rather go without beer than know I only had the option of one or two (although there are times when that is genuinely all I feel like) , just as I'd rather go without chocolate than eat the hair-shirt wearing nutritionist prescribed "2 squares" after dinner.

So basically, I'm constantly conflicted. But I know many people are in the same boat.

Being into rockclimbing also brings the situation into focus, because it's all about strength-to-weight ratio. I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been and pissed with myself for letting it happen. I'm having November off beer altogether and will be training like a demon to get back to form. Just in time for the Christmas Party season..

5. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I would just quit rockclimbing and take up more beer drinking, personally ;)

jbowers56 likes this.
  6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (540) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I now find I have almost more beers than I can drink. I too find drinking in moderation lame and would much rather go without.

7. I excercise the elbow as often as possible although do try to limit week day beers to one or two.

8. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Sound like a lot of us are in the same boat (well, aside from Lukie of course). Happy with the extra quality options but still trying to manage some sort of balance in life. Basically we have just learned what sucks so much about being an adult!

On a more positive note, Ill be doing my best to upset that balance in a couple of weeks when I head out to California.

9. Lukie

I balance my drinking by not binge drinking, and eating healthy.

I also intake plenty of good bacteria into my digestive system, in the form of lambic.

:D

10. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Disciple (65) Australia May 31, 2012

You can't beat a good lambic Lukie! Especially 3 Fonteinen, which I am still awaiting delivery of.

Personally, I don't believe in moderation. I have nine taps at home, 6 are mine and 3 belong to my flatmate and it's help yourself. It's great having a wide selection draught beer but one thing it's not good for is fitting into your clothes, especially expensive suits.

11. Lukie

When Tilquin kegs arrive, I am buying a kegerator for home!

12. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Disciple (65) Australia May 31, 2012

I'll buy a few kegs of Tilquin. When do they arrive?

13. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

All the influx of quality beer has done has given me an excuse to describe my binge drinking as 'for work'.

'Tastings' are, in essence, an excuse to drink/share 15 high ABV beers with friends and try and justify it as research, when by rights, by beer 8 all the stouts have started to taste the same, or, all the hops have seemingly formed intelligence, and a community, and combined to pack rape my taste buds. Regular drinking has now turned into 'what craft beer can I drink so that Mistress Mordecia doesn't become suspicious that I'm just trying to get drunk' to kill the hang-over that I got from the 'tasting' the night before. Beers with friends are now 'who can find the tastiest and highest ABV beer' as a seemingly never ending 'pissing competition'.

Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

14. Lukie

Bottles before Christmas. Kegs not for a while :(