1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Without a Cellar...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TastyAdventure, Feb 19, 2013.

1. I live in a condo... no cellar. I have a garage (winter is almost over here in Kentucky, and the weather is very inconsistent, 52 degrees F. one day and 28 the next), a bathroom, a fridge, a closet, and a pantry I could keep it in. Condo stays at a constant 71 F alllll the time.

Where should I keep ma beirs???

2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Can you get a cheap fridge off craigslist or something and throw it in the garage? Pair it with a temperature controller and you have a great cellar for not a whole lot of money.

3. biers*
    The second letter in an "ie" or "ei" combo is dominant in German.

...but keep your beer in the fridge. Why are you even asking this question? You start too many damn threads and never discuss the topic after starting.

4. ...I'm flattered that you follow me so closely.
    You know, I don't have any friends that enjoy fine beer, so I come here. And different beers have different cellaring temperatures, some different than the temp of a fridge. so that's why I ask. If you don't like my threads, don't waste your time reading them...

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

71 degrees will not hurt your beer, just keep it out of the light

rrryanc likes this.
  6. If you are worried about the Fridge being too cold... and you can't get your hands on a cheapy from craigslist, I reccomend the closet of the Pantry. I would go to the closet first because I am assuming it is furthest away from the Kitchen, and Kitchens give off a lot of heat. If I have something in the Oven my kitchen can be 5 degrees warmer. if yours is bigger, or laid out differently so that you don't run in to that problem then the far corner of a pantry is awesome also.

7. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

I have this issue too, except I live in an apartment so I don't even have a garage as an option. I store mine in my walk-in closet in the back corner. It stays nice and dark, against an exterior wall, and it is pretty far away from all of my vents so even when I'm blasting my heat in the dead of winter, it stays really cool in there. Stays pretty cool in the summer, too. Not the most optimal, but the best place I have available. Do you maybe have a trusty friend with a cellar that will store it for you?

8. Not so much, really. The difference is simple, beers that should be had fresh can be kept fresh by making them colder. You're looking at about forty degrees, because you don't want to age it quickly but rather might want to take a little bit off of it. Forty-five or fifty degrees will age a beer a little more rapidly and over a longer period of time will have larger effects. Anything about that will rapidly age a beer and should probably be had within a few months. If you want to find a medium, set your fridge to forty-five and call it a day. Everything fits nicely into that temperature and you shouldn't really age lighter beers anyway (Pilsens, IPAs, PAs, Lagers). The fridge works. Trust me.

9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I keep mine in old beer cases out of light. Buy a temp gauge. You will be fine just avoid light and temp fluctuations. I'm usually around 68 and 70. Works for me really well. Good luck.

10. Personally, I do the same thing. I like my beer aging quickly at about sixty-five degrees and out of light. Everybody says I age my beer nicely, which is funny, because when I do it I'm terrified. OP seems to have the desire to be particular, though. To each their own, I guess.

11. I think it will fade quicker though than a beer kept at 40, or 55 etc. . . there's some scientific study people link here now and then that concluded that something like american adjunct lagers aged for 3 years at room temp had cardboard like flavors. Thank you science. . .

With that said, I've cellared similar beers at room temp, cellar temp and fridge temp and nobody has picked which is which with 100% accuracy when sampled blindly. Same with storing them vertically v. horizontally.

Nonetheless, I still was ISO/bought a house in Nevada with a cellar (rarity!) , even though my aging beer experience hasn't necessarily proven it to be a necessity (cabernet sauvignon on the other hand. . . ).

Play it safe I guess, we know beer does well at lower temps.

12. You found a house in Nv with a cellar? talk about a score!

I live in So Cal wine country and nothing has a even a tiny closet sized cellar dug out.
    I know some of the ranch homes out in the hills do... but they either resemble texas chainsaw massacre, or are so far out of my price range I may cry.

Rizalini and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  13. I keep my cellared beers/wines in wine cases, which I keep in the back of my closet. It works fine.

14. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Most of my beer I try to age a year or so. I only have a few for long term, but yes I take the temp in account.

15. I opted for Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

4kbrianb likes this.
  16. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

It depends if you are on the cheap or not, but I have a couple wine fridges from Costco at $199 a piece. They are fairly small and hold about 30 bottles each and I just keep them at 54 degrees. I think constant temperature is really important plus these coolers have a tinted glass which will keep out more light. Definitely worth the investment if you are looking for some quality assurance.

17. out of curiosity, do you lay your bottles down in the fridge or did you make flat shelves to stand them up?

18. but you have a cellar and that is all that matters damnit! haha

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Dark closet is where I do my cellaring. As others have said huge temperature swings and light at the enemies of beer.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  20. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

It's really to bad that the vast majority of academic research into beer aging has gone into AALs. Oh well, they're where the money has been. Maybe we'll see more crop up now.
    That does not surprise me.

21. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Just do the best you can. Keep them out of light, if at all possible. If you feel like you can't keep the conditions within an acceptable range, then you have a great excuse to drink the beer. I like to keep a half dozen special bottles and a case of a dependable Imperial Stout or Porter that I know will be brewed every year (fun to compare batches over a few years). Everything else is fair game, and rotates through quickly.

22. Like Hanzo, in CA I had a dark closet and that worked ok but w/ no AC in my house that still sucked. I think temp fluctuation is as bad as light exposure. Just my experience.

23. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

Right now I'm laying (I know, I know) but was thinking about building flat shelves (I think because of the size I will lose a lot of capacity though).

24. haha you will get no crap from me good sir. I was just curious because I know the forum is 50/50 on this topic. or maybe 60/40... but split regardless!