WLP 008

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by alanforbeer, Feb 10, 2013.

1. A quick search of old BA threads yielded little info on this yeast. I picked some up on a whim a few weeks ago and made an APA that has been in primary for about a week (O.G. 1.056, Centennial and Galaxy hops, fermenting at a constant 64).

Seems to have a reputation for refusing to flocculate, and it hasn't received much praise over on the other forums. What are your experiences with this yeast? Like it/ hate it?

2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (460) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

I've used it once...Sam Adams ALE yeast (not to be confused with their lager yeast). I brewed a side-by-side batch with Chico and it seemed very similar, but with less fruitiness. It didn't seem to floc any worse than US-05.

3. Yeah, I saw that thread about the side-by-side comparison with US-05. You must not have been very impressed with the WLP 008 version, though: "I've used it once...".

4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (740) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005 Verified

You are right that this strain does not seem to get a lot of airplay among internet forum users. I've never used it but have been curious. Let us know about it...

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (460) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

Don't get me wrong, it was good...but I haven't reused it for the same reason I don't use a lot of other liquid yeasts...it was not head and shoulders above a similar dry yeast I could get for less than half the price.