1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WLP 008

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by alanforbeer, Feb 10, 2013.

1. A quick search of old BA threads yielded little info on this yeast. I picked some up on a whim a few weeks ago and made an APA that has been in primary for about a week (O.G. 1.056, Centennial and Galaxy hops, fermenting at a constant 64).

Seems to have a reputation for refusing to flocculate, and it hasn't received much praise over on the other forums. What are your experiences with this yeast? Like it/ hate it?

2. I've used it once...Sam Adams ALE yeast (not to be confused with their lager yeast). I brewed a side-by-side batch with Chico and it seemed very similar, but with less fruitiness. It didn't seem to floc any worse than US-05.

3. Yeah, I saw that thread about the side-by-side comparison with US-05. You must not have been very impressed with the WLP 008 version, though: "I've used it once...".

4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

You are right that this strain does not seem to get a lot of airplay among internet forum users. I've never used it but have been curious. Let us know about it...

5. Don't get me wrong, it was good...but I haven't reused it for the same reason I don't use a lot of other liquid yeasts...it was not head and shoulders above a similar dry yeast I could get for less than half the price.