1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WLP510 question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by atomeyes, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I did a split brew on the weekend. made a pilsner wort (OG around 1.055) and divided it in half.

3 gallons were fermented with WLP530 and some orange peel, and 3 gallons fermented with WLP510.

I have the 510 in my basement, where its probably 68-70 F. it started fermenting in 24 hr. last night, i checked on it - day 3 - and fermentation looks like it stopped.

this morning, i gave it a gentle swirl to see if i could get any airlock activity. but i'm wondering what one would expect with 510. i don't expect fermentation (and krausen) to peter out in 3 days.

and the 530 started fermenting after 40 hours and is still fermenting nicely (at 72 F)

thoughts?

2. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

It's probably still fermenting. Take gravity readings, don't go by krausen and airlock activity as its not necessarily indicative of fermentation. Relax, don't worry, have a hombrew.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Swirling is a pretty good way to get airlock activity, because CO2 will come out of solution, but that doesn't tell you if it's still fermenting. Be patient, then take a gravity reading. (I never take a gravity reading before 2 weeks, unless I'm making a hefe or other particularly 'fast' beer.) If the reading is within range of what you expected, take another one in three days. If it's the same, it's done. Then leave it for a few more days (according to your preference) to allow the yeast to finish cleaning up their byproducts.

4. heh...except we forgot to take the OG. whoops.

5. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

This is fine, when you think its done, take gravity reading over three consecutive days. If the readings are the same, you're done!

6. VikeMan

I skip the in-between readings, i.e. just take the first and last (3 days later) readings. At the end of the three days, you'll have exactly the same amount of useful info, with less work and less poking around in the wort/beer.

7. guessing i should be patient and give it 2-3 weeks (minimum) for fermenting, eh? as we finished pouring the beer into the carboys, i realized that we didn't take the gravity.

oh well.

i was hoping that it didnt stall out or that my wort calculations weren't FUBAR and i'm making an O'Doul's

8. VikeMan

Even though you didn't take an OG reading, you can still take a reading after a couple weeks, then again 3 days later to see if it's stable and somewhere in the neighborhood of what you expected. Lack of an OG reading does not mean that everything else is guesswork from then on.