1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WLP670 Sacc/Brett Balance?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jun 19, 2013.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Paging all you guys with funky blogs...

I'm thinking about doing a Saison with WLP670. Here is my dilemma... I assume White Labs has determined some best mix (percentage wise) of the Sacc and Brett strains in 670. If I make a starter with 670, I assume the Sacch yeast will propagate at a faster rate than the Brett, thus throwing that balance out of whack. True? If true, I guess the same thing would happen in the beer wort anyway, but the idea of pitching already out of balance (thus exacerbating the effect) has me pondering. Important? Inconsequential? TIA.
  2. No funky blog here but my thoughts here are that the only way to control the pitching rate is to grow the Sacch and Brett strains separately (obvious... I know).

From my experience, the rate ratio isnt super important and even under pitching the Brett in a mixed fermentation is not a terrible thing. The Brett character will increase over time as it goes to work on whatever is available to it as the Sacch strain can only work on so much - and even then the Brett can feed on the by products of autolsysing yeast. This gives you the advantage of packaging the beer when you feel the character is where you want it. It will still change over time once packaged but you can drink it or let it age further to see what happens.
  3. Agreed, pitching ratio isn't that big of a deal. Less Brett just means the Brett character will take longer to develop than if you pitched more.