1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WLP727 with a Nelson and Gewürztraminer Wheatwine

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tylermains, Sep 10, 2012.

1. tylermains

tylermains Savant (305) Kentucky Apr 6, 2010

I've been working on a recipe for a wheatwine that I'm hoping will be very wine-like. I'm considering using this strain and was wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge using WLP727 Steinberg-Geisenheim in wort. I chose this strain because of its suitability for Gewurztraminer. I'll be adding some Alexander's Gewurztraminer to the wort at high krausen.

Grainbill:
    11# Rahr Pale (47.8%)
    7# Rahr White Wheat (30.4%)
    3# Rahr Red Wheat (13%)
    1# Honey Malt (4.3%)
    1# Torrified Wheat (4.3%)

Hops:
    .5 oz Pacific Gem @60 min
    1 oz Nelson Sauvin @20min
    .5 oz Pacific Gem @5min
    1 oz Nelson Sauvin @5min

OG: 1.123
    13.51 SRM
    12.42% ABV without the concentrate
    IBU: 73.5

Ferment primarily with WLP727 and at high krausen add the concentrate (how much? not sure). But I'm concerned 727 won't be able to eat all the sugars ale yeast would. So, pitch WLP565 (to match the fruitiness) at high krausen. But won't the 727 kill the 565? I don't want it to have too much saison character so I don't want to pitch 565 primarily. Maybe I can just ferment 100% 727?
    There's also the option to use Convertase AG-300 to convert the maltotriose into sucrose/glucose that the 727 otherwise would not eat.

I'm thinking 1/2 pound of the Gewurztraminer. It is 68 Brix.

Shoot your thoughts at me.

-Tyler

2. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I recently did a 12.5% wheatwine using Nottingham yeast and 1 cup of Gerwurtzaminer (Alexander's) concentrate added at whirlpool and it worked out just fine.

I think a saison yeast would be really weird in this beer, and would recommend pitching a neutral, but attenuative ale yeast, and if needed, co-pitch WLP099 (High Gravity) or the WY Trappist High gravity and ferment cold with a thorough diacetyl rest/ramp up after the first 48-72 hours. The first time I made the beer I had some diacetyl using US-05 due to the stress I put on the yeast, so the second time I pitched nottingham instead and did a thorough rest and it worked perfectly.

For the record, mine were very, very hoppy as well (~80 IBU) with a huge dose of NZ hops and some Citra and Amarillo. Fun beer to make and consume, especially comparing it fresh versus aged.

3. tylermains

That's great info.

I'm really trying to avoid beer yeast. I'm trying to blur the line between wine and beer with this one.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to the maltotriose problem. I know Convertase AG-300 will tackle that, but I don't want it to mess with the other enzymes.

Would pitching straight WLP727, letting it ferment out, then adding the Convertase work? That way most of the enzymes will have been eaten before getting converted by the Convertase. But what else other than maltotriose won't wine yeast eat?

4. tylermains

Or maybe pitch something neutral like 1056 then at high krausen add the 727 and Gewurztraminer.