1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

World of Beer-Charlotte

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by wolfeman007, Apr 4, 2012.

1. anybody been yet? what did ya think? 500 bottles!?! Food? Scene/Vibe?
  2. I went there on Sunday afternoon. They don't sell food. Instead, they partner with several restaurants in the area that will bring it to you. Out of the four drafts I ordered, they were out of three. The bottle selection is pretty good but honestly, I prefer Mac's or Duckworth's for the atmosphere as well as selection.
  3. cpw84

cpw84 Zealot (85) Ohio Feb 1, 2008

I tried it and liked it. I did run into one or two they were out of, but from what I have heard they rotate out taps fairly frequently. Had a great BA People's Porter on tap, and they had Gonzo on nitro, which was interesting. Also there are some decent restaurants around that they will have deliver to your table. Seem to have live music almost every night, but not so loud that you can't have a conversation. It's definitely worth a try and, based on location, I'll be going there probably every other week or so til it gets old. Seating could get sparse on the weekends though.
  4. Live Music Thursday-Sunday and they have a mezzanine for the band so as not to take up seating space.

The bar is large, but it's design prohibits you from seeing all of the tap handles from one location and if you're on the right side near the bottles you can't see the chalkboard draft menu hanging over the middle area of the bar. But they do a good job of keeping their printed list up to date.

As with any restaurant/bar on opening weekend they were somewhat overstaffed and with the big opening week they were out of a few one-off rare selections when I dropped by Sunday night. But once that all ends I expect things will even out.

I think once they have some time to listen to their customers' wants they'll have one of the better tap lists in Charlotte, if not outdoing Duckworths to be honest. However, the lack of food does hurt and if you plan to eat while you're there you might want to plan for a 30 minute wait for it to be delivered.

It's also nice to get beer in the brewery's specialty glassware, something a lot of bars try to do but ultimately give up on due to attrition from glassware thieves. Hopefully WOB can monitor that and keep that up. Presentation is always a plus in my book.