1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

World of Beer Tempe

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by hornitosmonster, Aug 8, 2012.

1. For the locals. Is it Worth the drive from Surprise?Tap list from website looks good but nothing super exciting.I know they have Westy 12 (bottle) but I have a bottle of that in my collection. Is Tactical nuclear penguin worth it? How is the pricing? Do they have a happy hour?

2. aandresen

aandresen Aficionado (230) Arizona Sep 21, 2009

It is pretty cool and they had Ivan the Terrible on tap so that was worth it. Not sure it is on anymore though. I saw the Westys and TNP but I am not sure they were for sale, looked like it was for prizes.

It is a cool place with plenty of taps and lots of bottles, I wouldn't do the drive from Surprise though. Not sure about happy hour, I went at 4pm and was the price listed on the menu.

3. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (190) Arizona May 6, 2009

It's a cool place, wouldn't make the drive but next time your in the area stop by.

4. Thanks. Next time I'm in Mesa or Tempe I will check it out.

5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Is it loud in there? How loud is it without bands playing?

With that Mill ave location are they aiming solely at the Millennial demographic or does it seem more general audience?

6. Jefeipa

It's hard to say it was loud without music but it was really busy. I think time will till what the audiences will be like. I feel like it will have a general appeal(when they don't have live music).

7. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Savant (475) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

I've been twice, once for the facebook party before they opened to the public and yesterday for happy hour, both times were noisy. It is small and will always probably be noisy when it is crowded with or without bands. When it's not crowded it'll be reasonably quiet so just avoid the evenings and happy hours. It was more expensive than other places like Flanny's, Papago and Tops for the same beers but not with totally crazy pricing like the Brat Haus has. If you are going to go there a lot you can buy a loyalty card for $15 that will get you discounts. Not sure how hard their beer test was for their bartenders, one girl called "Piraat" "Pirate". The best comparison is an expensive version of Tops in selection and size, with a few good looking bartenders. It does have more taps than Tops but 90% of them aren't beers you will probably order anyway. The place is overstaffed right now while the bartenders train which creates a problem behind the bar because they cant move around without falling all over each other. Kind of funny to watch at times and the overstaffing still doesn't help with service at times but you cant judge them on that in their first week. If I lived in Surprise I would drive for it, simply because is there anything in Surprise? Don't you have to drive everywhere already? Just kidding. I wouldn't drive that far just for it.

8. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Aficionado (115) Arizona May 31, 2012

@bigbelcher - Not sure what you're talking about price wise. Maybe it's more expensive for a few beers but i paid $5.50 for Ivan the Terrible at WOB and $6 for the same beer at Papago (was listed at $7). I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for the most part.

9. Jefeipa

The one think I don't like about the pricing there is that they don't include the tax like most places.

10. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Savant (475) Arizona Jul 10, 2003

Forgot about that Jefe. Another point as far as overall costs go is potential parking cost. Free parking at Tops, Papago and Flannys. Not so much on Mill Ave.

BobLoblaw likes this.
  11. We do have Yardhouse, Rockbottom, Ground Control, Taps, Oggi's Pizza & Brewery, Gordon Birch, and a few other places on this side of town. It appears to be a Yardhouse minus the size and food, is that a fair comparison? I might check it out today since I got a poker game on that side of town.

12. I thought the place was just meh. Good taps & eager service, but just a bit over-priced.
    Agree with prior posts that the place is LOUD. But it's Mill so what do u expect?

Had 2 beers there then stumbled to Taste of Tops for a great drinking session as usual. :eek:)

13. AZeagle

AZeagle Aficionado (170) Arizona Feb 23, 2005

I would definitely not consider it a Yard House type of place. No domestics or mainstream imports and so far always something special on tap. They are appealing to different crowds. Yard House wants to reach just about everybody while WOB is focused on beer only. They try to have something for everybody from the transitioning craft/import drinker as well as the more developed drinker. Seems that they are hitting that mark...at least for week 1. The tap list on the WOB app has been pretty up to date and has shown me a couple of things that I wanted to make sure I tried. I don't mind the crowds or the noise too much...I think ultimately, it will settle a little bit as everybody tries it out and works it into their regular bar rotation. Parking isn't too terribly bad...a few bucks for a couple of hours is fine with me.

14. I did stop in on Saturday for a few hours. Place was packed and loud but service was good. The keg of Ivan the Terrible was kicked already so I ended up drinking some Sculpin and Double Knot. I thought the price was fair. I will come back but only when I have things to do on the side of town.

yemenmocha: The place was very loud and had a very hipster vibe to it. Good to see some college aged people enjoying good beer rather than swallowing down gallons of swill.

yemenmocha likes this.
  15. BlindSkwerl

BlindSkwerl Aspirant (25) Arizona Jul 21, 2012

Went here last night. A little bit on the loud side and crowded. All ages in there (21 to 55ish). My beer geek friend and I saw the sixer of Westy 12 (4 in it) and heard the monks start chanting :D. When we tried to order it we heard the monks giving us a big raspberry :p. Not for sale, only given as prizes. Selection was decent, wish they had some more Belgians on tap. I thought the prices were fine. Did enjoy seeing the occasional patron trying to order a Bud Light and having to taste test a few decent beers instead. Will be back if I see something on tap I must try.

yemenmocha likes this.
  16. I have been three times since they opened and overall I think it's good. Excellent selection and good location. The seating is limited, and that is my biggest negative. Second is the noise - and I haven't heard a band yet. I am sure that will be unbearable. As for the price, I can't complain. Most are $5.50-$7.00, but you will pay that for a draught at Tilted Kilt. I went to Flanny's yesterday for tap takeover and all draughts there were $6. Tonight I had an $8 draught Gulden Draak and an $11 Port Old Viscosity 22 oz. $15 for the loyalty card gets 25% off on Tuesday. Happy Hour is 3-7 daily ($1 off draughts).

17. Jefeipa

I don't think they are too expensivebut I don't like that they don't include the tax. I went to Flannys too $6 is a great price for some of those beers. I would of paid $8 for some of them