1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wormtown Be Hoppy IPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by brureview, Oct 10, 2012.

1. brureview

brureview Member

Where can I get Wormtown Be Hoppy IPA in the Boston area? Martys doesn't have it.
  2. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Member

tons of spots around Cambridge. I see it pretty much everywhere I go.
  3. sjverla

sjverla Member

I believe I've seen it at Martignetti's on Soldier's Field Road.
  4. geocool

geocool Member

I'd like to know too. I thought my local shop was going to be a good source, but the last fresh bottles they got were packaged in February, and they lingered on the shelves until just last month without ever being replaced.
  5. brureview

brureview Member

I just called the brewery. Supposedly Granite liquors carries their beers. Also, Kappys( not sure which one).
    Let me know if you find some.
  6. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

Boston Wine Exchange usually has it
  7. Craig01890

Craig01890 Member

Winchester Wine & Spirits currently has it.
  8. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Member

Like one of the previous posters said this is probably going to be several months old at any of the stores. I'm pretty sure Wormtown doesn't bottle often.
  9. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

Its pretty damn good w/a few months on it. The bottle conditioning helps IMO
  10. Ryan and Casey's

If I were you, I'd just go there..the resturant is called: Peppercorns - great food + Growler fills, wormtown brews right out of the resturant. All of their brews are very tasty!
  11. BenTheBrewer

BenTheBrewer Member

They usually have it at Charles Street Liquors.
  12. Massbmx

Massbmx Member

Try looking in coolers, this is where I always see Be Hoppy. They must have an agreement to have it refridgerated, dont think I've ever seen it on a shelf.
    Trevdawg likes this.
  13. DutchZwilling

DutchZwilling Member

I purchased a bottle at Granite Liquors in Weymouth about a month ago. I think it was $7.99. Last Friday, I spotted it at Wines & More in Mansfield for, I think, $8.99. To second Massbmx's thought, in both stores, it was refrigerated.
  14. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

A recurring theme for IPA's in the area.

The only single IPA's I can find with less than 2 months of age recently is Lagunitas - maybe Smutty too, but they are on the ignore list due to wild inconsistencies.
  15. geocool

geocool Member

I was just in my local shop on Friday and they had 6 cases of Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA on the floor, obviously just delivered, a little over two months old. Is it even possible to get a good quality, fresh IPA around here?
  16. kinopio

kinopio Member

On more than one occasion recently I've found Hoponious Union on shelves that was less than 2 weeks old. I'll buy that over 2 month old Smutty or 4 month old Founders Centential every time.
    Massbmx likes this.
  17. Jesse14

Jesse14 Member

I just picked up a bottled on October 3rd with an October bottle date. It is possible to get it fresh in the burbs anyways. While we're on the subject, it is probably my favorite readily available single IPA in New England. I just wish the price was a little better.
  18. geocool

geocool Member

You are correct, that one doesn't seem to stay on the shelf so no problem knowing it's fresh if you're lucky enough to find it!

Edit: Are they bottle dating now, or are you just assuming they're "less than 2 weeks old," as I would, because it's on the shelf?
  19. Jesse14

Jesse14 Member

Bottling date is on the 4-pack container only. Probably lucky enough to find that. Nothing on the bottles yet from what I've seen.
    geocool likes this.
  20. kinopio

kinopio Member

Yeah its on the pack which works well as long as you don't go to one of those Jerk Stores that split up the 4 packs, essentially throwing away the bottle date info AND raising the price per ounce.
    jlordi12 likes this.
  21. Jesse14

Jesse14 Member

Nice Seinfeld reference using "Jerk Store" if that was the intent. That's a deep pull.
    a74gent likes this.
  22. brureview

brureview Member

Where did you buy it?
  23. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

I hate those stores
  24. Jesse14

Jesse14 Member

Acton Wine & Spirits.
  25. brureview

brureview Member

Good to know. Was the bottling date old?
  26. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

Kappy's Wellington Circle has wormtown but never fresh.
  27. Over Heady Topper?
    Abner?
    Lawson's Tripple Play??

Seems your not up to date with what is really and readily available?
  28. Jack's Abbey has the best priced "tall-boy" bottles on the market - $2.75 per bottle.
    Best IPL on the market hands down..Hoponius Union
    Pre order a case and have it in a week or two.
  29. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Just got burned at Gordon's on Main St. with Hoponius - it was missing from the shelf for a few weeks and when it returned I picked up a four pack - checked the bottle for the date, didn't find it and foolishly just assumed it was a new batch (last one I picked up there was nice and fresh). After it tasted oxidized, I found the date on the package - 6/1. F me.
  30. geocool

geocool Member

It amazes me that something like this can happen with a product in such high demand. That couldn't have been on a shelf anywhere, it must have been in a warehouse all this time.
  31. brureview

brureview Member

Hmm, I go to Martys and usually get good bottle dates. Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, I tried them once,
    old date on the IPAs. I am not going back there. I should have paid attention to the reviews on BA.

Craft Beer Cellar is usually quite good for bottle dates.
  32. jageraholic

jageraholic Member

how about finding it in the berkshires? any suggestions?
  33. brureview

brureview Member

34. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Yup, when I'm looking for a single IPA to drink on the regular, I also like to spend $80+ in gas to drive 6+ hours round trip, hit up 3 different places hoping its actually available, then drive home with a bunch of double IPA's and an a bottle or two of single IPA.

Seems your not up to date with what is really and readily available outside of northern VT?
  35. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

We bottle Be Hoppy every other month. The most recent Bottling is October and we packaged over 200 cases. Our recommendation is to drink it within 3 months of packaging. I.e. October should be consumed by January to enjoy hoppy goodness. I have tasted older bottlings but they definitely lose both hop aroma and flavor. Boston area stores where Be Hoppy may be purchased are: Brookline Fine Wine, Downtown Wine and Spirits, Beacon Beverage, Blanchards, Brookline Liquors, Cambridge Wine and Spirits, Kappy's, University Wine and Spirits, Contan Liquors, Craft Beer Cellar, Al's Bottled Liquors, Streetcar, Fifty Seven Market, Redstone LLiquors, Gordon's, Allston Wine Shop, Granite Package, Huntington Wine and Spirits, Winchester Spirits, Wollaston Wine, Dave's Fresh Pasta, Liquor World, Boston Wine Cellars, Jerrys Liquors, Sagarino's Market, Ricci's Package, Gary's Liquors, Marty's Big Buys, Silver Lake Liquors, Macy's, Sav-Mor Liquors, Foerster's Market, Social Wines, A Taste for Wine and Spirit, Central Bottle, Whole foods Cambridge.
    Ben Roesch
    Wormtown Brewery
  36. Jesse14

Jesse14 Member

That's why I specified SINGLE IPA and READILY available. The devil is in the details. As Longstaff mentioned none of those are readily available to us in MA. I'm talking about something I can drive less than 30 minutes to obtain. Thanks for updating me though.
  37. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

If that's true there aren't many stores following that agreement in the Boston area.
  38. tzieser

tzieser Zealot

none of those beers are readily available. nice try though.

also, what's with the "seems your not up to date with what is really and readily availabe" jab? it wasn't even a question; why did you feel the need to put a question mark at the end? no need to be a jerk. Vermont has great IPAs we get it. look, i know you're new around here; you just joined Sunday. just to let you know pretty much EVERY user on BA knows about those beers/breweries. HF, Lawson's, Alchemist are some of the most talked about breweries on BeerAdvocate. "seems your not up to date with" what's trending on BA ;)

as for the OP's question, i actually haven't seen Wormtown in my area of Mass in bottle format. i usually only see it on tap and its always fresh when you get it on tap. sorry i can't be of better help.
  39. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Member

Not everyone wants to hord their local rare beers as collateral for mini barrels of Bell's Two Hearted. In fact many people on this forum think trading beer like Pokemon cards is a joke.

Seems "your" the one who needs to get up to date, not the OP.

I find Be Hoppy to be a mediocre over priced beer in fact. Still looking for a locally made readily available IPA that is cost-effective or an out of market one that is consistently fresh. I'm betting when New Belgium finally gets their NC brewery up & running a lot of folks will simply get their fix on Ranger IPA
  40. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Today the same shelf (and floor) is loaded with 8/01 dated Hoponius. Better than 6/01, but still outside my comfort zone and still a little odd for a local beer that moves that fast.