1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wormtown Be Hoppy - Need help....

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Reagan1984, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ok, this is NOT a flame... check my review of Be Hoppy if you doubt this...

Wormtown Be Hoppy is an awesome Local beer when fresh.......(been trying to support local breweries this year) But recently, I am only noticing June and Oct bottling dates on the shelf..

Can anyone help me understand if they make this in periodic batches or if they are consistently producing this. Be Hoppy and Hoponius Union are (in my opinion) Boston's best two local Hoppy beers..... It kills me to find Be Hoppy on the shelf with too much age.
    Tried the October today and it's gone... The June is terrible.

Anyone seen more recent bottle dates?

I want this beer to succeed. I know a store that is stocked with June (very good store) and the brewery needs to get this stuff outta there. If the brewery is on BA they need to address this. I might reach out as I want this beer to be prevalent and fresh. Thanks for any info.
  2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I can look at bottles if I see them. Where is the date on the bottle?
  3. prominently ist on the lower back of the bottle. The good news is that they do a great job of marking the bottling date. The BAD news is that they do a great job of marking the bottling date. :(:oops:
  4. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

I'll check as well. I actually like Buddha Juice a lot better, their DIPA. They had it on tap at Rail Trail Flat Bread here in Hudson, but now they have Be Hoppy.
  5. I've never seen it bottled... Have you? ISO.... ISO....
  6. jomobono

No they just had it on tap, it was very nice. I'll let you know if it comes back.
  7. I friggin' love fresh Be Hoppy, but all the bottles I saw of it in 2 different stores near me this past weekend were from October, so I passed. October is arguably OK in the grand scheme of things for some people...but June? Yeah those gotta go.

And yes I love how clear their bottles dates are on the label (granted it's just the month, but still, it's part of the bottles artwork practically). Both Wormtown and Clown Shoes get gold stars from me for super clear bottle dating.

I didn't love the Buddha Juice I had on tap at Wicked in Dedham, and I had high expectations for it...only because I think Wormtown is capable of excellent beer, just like the "Norm" I had 2 nights ago #BESTCOCONUTBEEREVER
    dennho and MGambleWWS like this.
  8. i just had a fresh Be Hoppy bottle from a local store in Worcester and it should be making its way elsewhere soon probably. If they are having it on tap at bars right now then its probably a fresh batch. I do believe they make batches every now and then. They have a very small capacity.
  9. I wanted so much to agree with this... and waited to post this until I consumed the bomber earlier this evening... But it's not good, and it's not even the incredible "Be Hoppy" that we both reference in this thread. I wish it was.... My God I was hoping.... And, NO, this is not a classic Pliny falls off the table three days after bottling thread......

Hoping for some good news and fresh beer here.
  10. I rarely see fresh wormtown bottles either. I don't think they sell much so they just sit there for months and months.
  11. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Julio's has it pretty fresh usually.
  12. I just don't think they're a popular brewery for the most part. I don't think I've ever see their beers on tap at the two best bars in their home town and they're almost ghosts on BA. Virtually no one even mentions them here except for once or twice a year while Jacks Abby gets all the local love.
  13. BA Forum,
    Thank you for the heads up on old bottles of be hoppy at stores. We are working with our distribution partners TODAY to resolve this issue. Bottles older than October 2012 will be removed from stores. Be Hoppy is typically bottled every other month with the two most recent being October and December 2012. In an ideal world October would be disappearing and December would be on shelves right now. Personally I had a bottle of October last night and enjoyed it. Was it as hoppy as a December bottle no but still really good. If anyone would like to email me directly [email protected] to let us know of stores that have old bottles that would be great. Anyone that recently purchased a bottle older than October can email me to arrange a swap for a fresh one at the brewery. If a store cannot sell 12 x 22oz bottles every other month we would rather have them not stock it.

Ben Roesch
    Wormtown Brewery
    [email protected]
  14. Great stuff.
  15. I feel like I know exactly what two stores you've seen these beers in. The good news is that it seems like it's always stored in the fridge, which should help. I bought some October beer in December and thought it was good, but now that it's three months old I would prefer to wait for fresher stuff to come in, even though I'm sure the October batch is still fine. I always check on it at Julio's when I'm there and if there's a fresher batch I buy some and if there isn't I don't. And yes, this beer needs to be hyped more. It is definitely the best IPA brewed in Massachusetts IMHO.
  16. I agree. I've had it this old and between it being unfiltered and bottle carbonated it holds up well. Great beer
  17. Good stuff, had some from the June batch this past August and really liked it. Haven't seen anything fresher than October recently however. Even saw some from February a few weeks back.
  18. jomobono

I think Jack's Abby is a bigger operation and has a farther reach around the state as far as bottles and drafts and that price point is sweet.
  19. Be Hoppy is good stuff.
    FrankLloydMike and Reagan1984 like this.
  20. Yard house had it on tap last summer and I would get it a decent amount then. There are always bottles at wines and more in Mansfield. I bought their diip hopulence there too but was not as impressed with it, and it was only a week or two old at the time. Still good but not amazing.
  21. Many thanks for responding to the thread and my original post. As you can see, you have a lot of fans. When I trade (which is often) I shoot bottles of this all over the place. I agree with George (geocool) Best IPA out of MA.
  22. I enjoy it a lot. However, the only shop near me that carries it charges $8.99 a bottle. That just can't be the average price. What is the average price range per bomber? As much as I like it, I just can't justify paying nine bucks for it...
  23. Pretty much the same price point Ive seen it at, I love this on tap but have never bought a bottle due to the price.
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  24. I'd rather get 42 more ounces of Hoponius for 2-3 more bucks.
    WeymouthMike and Stormfield like this.
  25. I'm with you. You can't go wrong with that stuff. I paid $2.89 last week for a single .500 ml. How do they even earn a profit with prices like that?

Still, if prices of Be Hoppy were a little more reasonable, I'd pick it up once in awhile.
  26. Horbar

.I've been having trouble finding fresh Hoponius. The hops fade fast.
  27. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

The price went down to stores since it first came out. They may not be aware of their lower cost. I get it for $6.99 when my store has it.
  28. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22200/57223/?ba=bros
    Stormfield likes this.
  29. Had Be Hoppy on tap @ Union Brewhouse today and it was fresh and damn good.
    Reagan1984 likes this.
  30. This thread reminded me of how much I like Be Hoppy so I headed over to my go to spot for selection, price, and freshness - Redstone Liquors - to pick some up. They had plenty on the shelf but all October dates. I love you wormtown but I can't spend the premium price when super fresh hoponious and Larry are sitting right next to you
    Ganglani likes this.
  31. jomobono

Wegman's had bottles from October.
  32. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

On tap at Picco right now.
    Reagan1984 likes this.
  33. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Had one there Friday night, followed by a Sucks. Really enjoyed the Be Hoppy. Glad I revisited it.
  34. As a result of this thread I was able to enjoy a some of the December release of Be Hoppy. As awesome as ever. Just a special beer.
  35. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Had one today for lunch at Picco and it was unreal how good it was! Ill get blasted for this but, i put it on par with a couple of the hillfarmstead ipas ive had. 100% even looks the same in the glass.
    Reagan1984 and Patrick like this.
  36. I usually pass it up in bottles when I come across it (which is rare), as much because of the age of the bottles as the price. But I almost always get it when I see it on-tap (it's almost always on-tap at the Flatbread in Davis Square). It's easily one of (if not) the best IPAs brewed in Mass, and among the best brewed in New England in my book.
  37. Horbar

Wow!! Just had my first Be Hoppy fresh on tap. Very impressive IPA.