1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wormtown Brewery - Be Hoppy

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by HoppyHeader, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Within the last month, I have had the pleasure of enjoying Be Hoppy at Sacco Bowl in Somerville and Puritan & Co. in Cambridge. Quite simply, this beer has blown me away and is probably my favorite IPA at the moment. So now I want to stock my fridge with it. I am a frequent shopper at Vinnin Liquors in Swampscott, but I do not believe I have seen it sold there. I live in Marblehead and work in Boston, so if anyone knows where this beer is sold between these two locals, please let me know, as it would be much appreciated!

Cheers
  2. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

3. Thanks for the quick response. I should have done a search first. I guess this beer has me a bit excited...
  4. I live in that area as well. I used to shop at Vinnin quite frequently but now I only go there for single bottles. Busa's Fine Wines in Trader's Circle has a much fresher 6-12 pack offering. It seems Vinnin loves to sit on fresh products until the other stock sells which is perfectly fine if that's their decision. Busa is also starting to get more and more single bottle offerings too. To get back to your question, in our immediate area I have yet to see it at any of the stores in MH, Salem or Swampscott stores I go to. When I asked a manager at Vinnin, he said he hasn't even heard of Wormtown :eek:.
  5. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

Redstone Liquors in Stoneham sells it. They actually just got in a fresh shipment this afternoon. I plan on stopping there on my way up to Salem for a bottle or two.
    Ganglani likes this.
  6. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Yep - Redstone posts when they get it. I've seen it at Bee's Knees in town as well.
    Ganglani likes this.
  7. How much does Bees Knees tag it for? Last time I was in there prices seemed a tad, how can I say this nicely, high.

8. Be Hoppy is just expensive. It's usually $8ish a bomber at Whole Foods on River Street in Cambridge, which actually has pretty good prices. I generally only drink it on tap; not an $8/bomber IPA kind of guy.

9. It's $9 at the Whole Foods near me in Dedham :mad:.

10. Be Hoppy is not expensive in my opinion at all. $7-$8 for a 22oz fresh world-class IPA is absolutely on par with the rest of the craft scene. Not to bring this up YET AGAIN, but please remember Lunch IPA is a 16.9oz bottle and people are paying $8-9 for that every single day and it sells out immediately in most places. Just keeping things in perspective! Cheers.
  11. TheMonkfish

Sorry, I don't recall the price. Most of the stuff I've seen there was pretty reasonably priced.
  12. TheMonkfish

Do What's Right.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

It's ok. Just last week a waitress brought me a pint of Harmonious Union...
    RKing44, Sesmu, TheMonkfish and 3 others like this.
  14. What can we say people are sheep. there is no reason for lunch to be $8 a pint in stores. let me point to heady topper, if lunch is world classs, heady is out of this world and its roughly 1/3 the price. $8 bombers of IPA's are expensive (I drink be hoppy on tap at $6 a pint), these brewers need to switch to 6 packs, look what happened with sculpin. Sculpin used to be like 10-12 a bomber, now its a $14 sixer.
  15. Julios had $6.99 Be Hoppy bombers for awhile - Thought it was a steal given the quality AND the other larger-format you find on the shelves right next to it.

And while the pricing comparison to Heady isn't necessarily Apples-&-Oranges, I definitely wouldn't expect the easily available Wormtown to even consider The Alchemist when determining their local MA pricing.
    Horbar likes this.
  16. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Be Hoppy is 12oz six packs would be awesome!!!

Just sayin
    Nickfellow007 likes this.
  17. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

lol at using lunch as a "see, that's what IPAs *cost*!" comparison. MBC is failing hard with that.

last saturday i brought home 2 32oz growlers of better hoppy beer than MBC has ever made from hill farmstead, $7 each. a 4pack of gandhi bot is a tier above lunch, and costs about as much as one bottle (maybe 1.5).

if you want to compare quality hoppy beer prices, consider larry 6packs, any hoppy beers from founders, sierra nevada, stone, green flash, etc.

be hoppy is an excellent beer, but $9/bomber is a bad price.
    Gosox8787, bizkat and Horbar like this.

18. Picking up as many bombers of Be Hoppy at Peppercorn's for $7 a day after bottling is a steal in my opinion and I have no problem driving from Providence to Worcester to do so. Maybe that's just me and I'm crazy. You won't hear any argument from me about HF and Gandhi being better than Lunch...I think most of us on here would be in agreeance with that. Also, MBC is not failing with Lunch. It still sells out almost everywhere. All of their other beers...not so much.

Do What's Right.
  19. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I've never tried this, but I've wanted to for a while now. I've only seen older bombers of this around me. Anywhere around the Mass/RI border where I can find this fresh?
  20. Horbar

Liquor World Franklin, ma usually has fresh ones. Gasbarros in Attleboro used to have fresh ones but they have new beer people now, and I only see old ones.
  21. RCL

RCL Aficionado (115) Massachusetts Jul 23, 2008

1. If by "failing hard" you mean "selling every drop at the current supply levels and pricing", yes, they are a veritable Hindenberg.

2. Your profile says you are in NY. This might come in handy if anyone in this thread needs to hit you up for some free labor and/or gasoline, as apparently the costs of travel to an entirely different state and waiting in line for a few hours, to you =$0 according to your Hill Farmstead math.

3. A valid point on the "Quality hoppy beer prices" the question is where you draw the line between "quality" and "friggin awesome"
  22. Pahn

1) their shit sits on the shelves here and CT. maybe if they just sold in ME and MA it would make sense. i imagine they are like independently wealthy or something and don't mind taking a loss.

2) ha, yes, a lot of stuff in this world costs money. the double sunshine i ordered with my awesome burrito at mad taco cost money, as did the collected works box set of bottles i was at HF to pick up. the 4 2oz tasters i bought for, i don't remember, maybe $4 while waiting in the 40~ minute line at HF cost money ($4 i guess). in even more abstract ways, the time i spent with good friends on my way there and back costs money. this is true of more than just excellent VT beer excursions.

3) eh, i think fresh be hoppy is a step above most, though so is fresh founders stuff. fresh lunch is pretty great too, and i'll buy it if it's a week old and i haven't had a good IPA in awhile. would rather have fresh green flash DIPA (i'm a sucker for summit), among other things.

hell, i'd maaaaayyyyybe buy be hoppy for $9/bomber. i'd definitely buy it on tap for usual tap prices, or even a couple dollars above because it's underratedly good. while buying the $9 bomber though, i'd be noting that i was being overcharged.
  23. Pahn

as an addendum (just missed editing)...

don't get me wrong; i'm not trying to cut into sales of Be Hoppy (as if something i posted could do that, but whatever). as far as i'm concerned, i'd like every bottle to sell, the brewery to succeed, and production to increase. i love their hoppy beers and think they're very welcome in the local scene.

i still don't think $9 is a good price for a bottle of IPA. not competitive with "big boys" like founders, lagunitas, green flash, nor with "little ones" like NEBCO etc. still great beer. buy it if you have the money, or vote with your dollar and let them sink or swim. i bet they can't make kegs of that shit fast enough... do bottles sell as well?
  24. RCL

RCL Aficionado (115) Massachusetts Jul 23, 2008

1. I'm a bit surprised - I don't get the impression they are independently wealthy.

2. Obviously, nobody thinks about the costs if they are doing it for pleasure, but there are logistics and markups involved getting things places. If you are driving home from work on a Wednesday night and want to stop on the way and get that quality of IPA for that price, unless you live in Greensboro, Waterbury, or certain cities on the west coast, you are SOL.

3. I didn't really mean this as an endorsement for Be Hoppy - honestly, I've not even tried it, as I've heard middling reports of everything else they've made from beer geek friends. I might try one now, just to see what this most recent hubbub is about, but the number of times I've heard that something is "MA's answer to Heady Topper" and been totally underwelmed is getting ridiculous.
  25. Just to put it out there - I would hope Lunch always sells out, seeing that the average store is allocated a single case of 12 on each shipment.
  26. Pahn

as an unbiased observer let me say: it's no heady topper :). it's better than, say, lagunitas sucks, or fresh peeper, or larry, arguably better than hoptimum...

for me, it's about on par with very fresh enjoy by, sculpin, those kinds of beers. there's so many good beer it's getting difficult for me to maintain my useful fiction of there being "IPA tiers."

hmm, how about this: i probably *am* biased when it comes to NEBCO, and Be Hoppy is > maximally fresh sea hag IPA (which is pretty fucking good nowadays, recipe changes and all). not on the level of gandhi bot or the 1-off NEBCO beers, but it's competitive for best local MA IPA as far as i can tell. i get the impression trillium is doing / will be doing great things.

(break out of the IPA-only world and cambridge brewing company blows everyone away in terms of quality and price, IMO)

ramble ramble. but yeah, try it. it's as good as the best west coast and VT IPAs that actually make it to distro here.
    OtisCampbell likes this.
  27. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

$9 at River St.
  28. $5 a pint at Saco Bowl and this is easily one of my top 5 favorite obtainable IPAs of all time (Heady leads the pack) I absolutely love this stuff. Had a friend that said it wasn't nearly as good in the bottle as on draft so I'm not sure what age does to this stuff but if I see it on tap I'm all over it for the rest of the night.
  29. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

In cans!
  30. Horbar

Even better!
    Massbmx likes this.
  31. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

If u like be hoppy try hopulece. They also just brewed be hoppier
  32. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (435) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

I need me some be hoppier.

33. You can probably get it on tap at Prezo in Milford. They are owned by Peppercorns/Wormtown guys. In fact Prezo used to be called Peppercorns years ago.
    RichD likes this.
  34. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Prezo is a great place good food. Always something good on tap.
  35. RichD

Absolutely. The 4 or 5 times I've been I've loved it. Hoping Be Hoppy will be on tap the next time I go. If not I'm sure I'll find something good there.
  36. Horbar

Prezo needs to have Be Hoppy on at all times. I mean really, why don't they?
  37. RichD

Just picked up 2 bottles at Gasbarros in North Attleboro. Bottled date August 2013
  38. Prezo had other Wormtown brews the past 2 times I've gone, Be Hoppy should be a staple there though, always flowing...5 minutes up the road in medway is Restaraunt 45, the owner was formerly partners with the owner of Peppercorns Milford (now Prezo). anyhow, everytime I have been to 45 in the past year, Be Hoppy has been on tap, so I salute them for that. Green Monsta has been a staple there as well, also BBC steel rail...
  39. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Rail Trail in Hudson has Be Hoppier on deck, hopefully it will be on tomorrow night.