1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worried about possible diacetyl, after keg transfer.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nervousbrewer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. nervousbrewer

nervousbrewer Zealot (75) Ohio Dec 29, 2008

If I am worried about diacetyl and I already cold crashed to 50 and transferred to keg, is there anything I can do?
  2. Taste your beer and see if it has diacetyl?
  3. nervousbrewer

nervousbrewer Zealot (75) Ohio Dec 29, 2008

And if it does? Is there anything I can do at this point?
  4. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

5. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I had a diacetyl problem earlier this year with a classic American pils. I waited for the yeast to clean up the diacetyl and it never did. I was able to get rid of the diacetyl by making a simple starter with some new yeast and pitching it into the beer after the yeast reached a vigorous fermentation. I was only able to get my hands on some Nottingham dry ale yeast, I don't remember the exact timing of events but I waited several weeks before trying the beer. It did the trick.
  6. ^^^ what they said ^^^
    I recently brewed a German Pilsner that a bit of diacetyl. I drew about a liter of a Cream Ale that was at high krausen and added it to the keg. That beer used US-05, so I had to fine it when it was done, but it came out just fine.
  7. OP - This is the classic step if you are at that point. Called Krauesening(SP) in the brewing literature. The yeast will use the diacetyl for an energy source once all of the sugars are gone, and this technique can also be used to carbonate the beer.

OP - the name nervousbrewer must be factual.