1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worst BA Score Ever?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mcrago

mcrago Savant (390) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I hear ya. "Dixie White Moose" may be the worst of all time. Another outside review of this epic brew:

Good Lord!!!! This is a beer to serve your enemies. Got a case at cut-rate prices about 8 years ago, and found it one of the most loathsome substances on God's green Earth!!!! After a few, I would play a game by slipping it into coolers at BBQs and other parties. Most of the unwitting consumers immediately realized their mistake. Some people that like the taste of Uber-artificial "white chocolate" actually liked the product (although I passed this off as being some kind of taste psychosis). YUCK!!!!
    [But to be fair, the color isn't too off-putting...]

2. Worst review Irecall ever seeing in the magazine is Eddyline Crank Yanker IPA. Issue #64. Love it.
    [​IMG]

Mscarpen likes this.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Years ago I was hiking in Maine and blew out my knee. While I was recovering I toured 3 different micro brews in Bangor and, being the middle of summer, they all made a blueberry beer. For the time and the place and the season they were all enjoyable beers and every summer I drink a blueberry beer just because. Having said that the Wild Blue is one of the most disgusting things I've ever had. Worse than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

AndrewBV likes this.
  4. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

I didn't hate the Pizza Beer, and I sort of bought it in order to hate it. I even asked the guy at the craft beer store where I bought it if it's any good. He said what do you think? And I said, I don't know dude, you're the one who carries it! So much for standing behind your product. Anyway, it does taste faintly of oregano. I actually drank this beer with pizza, so maybe that helps. I can't drink many lagers at all--too fizzy for me, so I don't even differentiate. And many people would rate sour lambics quite low indeed as they are undrinkable for most of the uninitiated. One of my best friends sticks to Tecate and Corona. I wouldn't drink that stuff if they gave me an all you can drink for life golden ticket. But he was not at all into the AleSmith YuleSmith Holiday Ale I tried pushing on him last night. Are some people wrong and some right? It's all so subjective. And it's hard to argue with the sales figures and price of the big boys. Easy to just call anyone who drinks them stupid.

Btw, any idea what I can serve to my stupid lager drinking friend to lure him to the dark beer side? I'm almost ready to give up.

5. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

PS - I take back what I said about Tecate. I'd drink that before I'd even touch Rolling Rock. I'd rather drink rancid moonshine. I think I'd even rather drink motor oil. Heck, I'd rather just stay sober.

6. Dope

Dope Advocate (600) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that is easily the worst currently produced beer I think. I know Corona Light is at the top of the Bottom 100 list but this stuff is far worse. I'd drink Corona Light all day before I ever tried another sip of that Cave Creek Crap. It's like they took a bottle of Corona Light, puked in it and then added some chili pepper.

Dope

4Socialanxiety likes this.
  7. tkarsies

tkarsies Savant (260) Ohio Dec 27, 2005

8. I remember this used to be in the top 5 lowest on BA along with Ed's Crazy Creek beer.

9. weirdly this beer shows up in several beer books including the mostly great 1001 beers you must drink before you die lol

10. mcrago

mcrago Savant (390) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

11. I agree and demand a recount. If you look through the reviews for a few pages it seems unlikey it could get to 95.

mcrago likes this.
  12. Maybe it had an unpleasant salty finish :eek:

13. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

a guy a a packy actually recomenended that to me. i wanted to kill his farkin' family, and i'm a peace lovin' maufarker

14. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

I'm aging one of these to see how it "matures"

15. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

16. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

It was sorted low to high, sort from high to low and there are multiple pages of "5" ratings.

17. two or three years ago i would have agreed. i think for a long period of time, there was a lull in the production or importation of oudbeitje. whatever was on the shelves in the meantime was really old (and some lambics, fruit ones in particular, aren't always good candidates for aging) or simply a bad batch. but within the past year or so, i've had some newly-arrived bottles which were quite good.

18. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

19. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (445) Texas Dec 11, 2006

Take off your filter, this one actually had plenty of good reviews...

20. GIVEMEBACKMYSON

GIVEMEBACKMYSON Savant (265) Alaska Dec 12, 2003

21. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Top 10 worst = best selling beers in America

22. DNofBN

DNofBN Aficionado (180) Illinois May 27, 2009

23. mcmeador

mcmeador Zealot (95) Mississippi Sep 2, 2012

I agree that Wild Blue and Cherry Wheat are terrible. I love Sam Adams beers, but Cherry Wheat is one that I can't get on board with. It tastes like cough syrup. Imperial White is another Sam Adams that is absolutely disgusting to me.

fredmugs likes this.