1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worst beer for a tasting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by skyler_estes_, Nov 7, 2013.

1. I am getting together with 5 other guys for a Christmas beer tasting/food pairing shit show. Crazy amounts of bottles will be opened Stouts, BA Stouts, Sours, Saisons, Lambics, IPA's, EVERYTHING. Mostly rarer and hard to get bottles. AFTER we are all good and shit canned we are doing a BYO Food and Beer (terrible food and beer) and we will all vote and compete for a bottle of something awesome like Cantillon. So. my question to all the awesome BA's out there... WHAT.. is the WORST beer you could ever conceive being brought to a tasting?

GO!
  2. Anything by Rogue.
  3. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

4. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

I second that!

Can't get any worse then their newest creation of banana and pb ale. Bring that and you'll be sippin on some Cantillon in no time.
    josephwa and skyler_estes_ like this.
  5. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cavlados....it's only 8.5 oz to split 6 ways? what's the point?
    kojevergas likes this.
  6. dianimal

dianimal Savant (430) California Apr 18, 2012

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra is "interesting" but I didn't like it. Tasted like soap.
    Lindeman's Faro = syrup.
  7. A double bottle could be a possibility if I need too. CLEARLY, terrible beer will be available in quantity.
  8. corbenlee and skyler_estes_ like this.
  9. I have had the Rogue PB its TERRIBLE!!! Haha. Pizza beer though? That sounds equally as disgusting
    cnbrown313 likes this.
  10. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I've never had it but for a tasting worst beer to bring I'd have to say Ghost Face Killa and make everyone drink it first you will not only be hated but possibly beaten to death.
  11. DrewLikesBeer

This might be the winner if people don't like very spicy pepper beers.
  12. Two way tie between ghost face and the pizza beer so far.. I would go for idiots drool because it sounds AWFUL but being a one time release I'm sure whoever had a bottle has drained poured it by now haha
  13. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I'd love to try it but I figured it would scorch your taste buds and it would be the worst and Cantilllon here you come
  14. DrewLikesBeer

THIS should let you know how it is.
    ChesterHop likes this.
  15. Don't have a worst beer... just an observation for the OP - You and your friends are MASOCHISTS!!!!!
  16. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

But with a nice barnyardy apple/shit edge.
  17. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

People are just going to say bad beers, but I want to approach it a little differently. I'm going to go with a divisive beer that really wonks the tastebuds to the point where it almost ruins any beer that follows it:

Sam Adams Triple Bock
    Dupage25 and DaveAnderson like this.
  18. mackeyse

mackeyse Aficionado (230) New York Aug 21, 2012

And there is a guy who rated it a 3 out of 5 and still said it was "horrid". Goes to show that the rating system doesn't do justice to these kind of beers.
  19. You're CHEATING Skyler! Whatever you bring, you have to bring 2 now and drink a whole bottle first.

I guess I am a masochist for clicking this thread.
  20. kapkenobi

kapkenobi Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2011

Idiots Drool
  21. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Dupage25 likes this.
  22. Ya, bring some Chocolate Stout or Shakespeare Stout, that'll really show 'em. :rolleyes:
    StaveHooks, kemoarps and AngusOg like this.
  23. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 10, 2013

SA Triple Bock...the nastiest thing I have ever tasted, and I have eaten cockroaches.
    mizary and Ilovelampandbeer like this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Get your hands on some Ghostface Killah. Isn't the worst tasting, but it's so hot it'll scare half of your tasting off.
    kemoarps likes this.
  25. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Looking at this a different way. After all that, the worst thing to drink would be something like Sam Adams Utopias. You'd be too far gone to like it, probably drink too much of it, and realize how much money you just wasted the next day.
  26. When I was 16, I'm 60 now, a friend and I got a 6er of Seven Eleven Beer. After one taste, we sat the rest on the side of the road. True story - lol.
  27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Big Sky Kriek!
  28. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Beer---- Bud Chelada (easily acquired)
    Food--- Durian (may be a little hard to find, look in Asian markets)
    A pairing made by Bezelebub himself. Enjoy the Cantillion
  29. hopslam11

hopslam11 Savant (275) Michigan Mar 11, 2010

I had a 94 Triple Bock that was one of the best beers I have ever had. Tried a 95 the next week that tasted like straight soy sauce... So I guess it depends if you get lucky or not
  30. bsp77

bsp77 Savant (490) Minnesota Apr 27, 2008

I just saw this review of Idiot's Drool. Hilarious.

"You may ask why I gave it a 1.5 overall if it was so terrible. The answer is that this was so bad, I almost wanted to like it. Think of it as being very close to the “Snakes on a Plane” of beer. I love Snakes on a Plane, but the key difference is that snakes on a plane didn't happen in my mouth"
    Dupage25, CJS262, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  31. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (595) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Ta Henket or Lil Gruesome are the worst! Victory is yours!
    beerman4 and CSpoons like this.
  32. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

kemoarps likes this.
  33. Anything from Indian Wells "brewery "
    beerman4 and SirBottlecap like this.
  34. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I took a few bottles to a Freetail release bottle share. Most people said it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. I'm sure that wasn't a backhanded compliment.
  35. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

I can't tell you how much I agree with this! I really don't want to agree with it since, let's face it, the bottles ARE kind of cool. However, but for one beer which is very good (Morimoto Imperial Pilsner) every Rogue I've ever had tastes like someone added water to it. I really think it is simply Rogue's intended style, some people like it and some don't. I don't. JMO
  36. I agree with this one, but could not word it any better!!!
    VelvetExtract
    Massachusetts

1.58/5 rDev -31.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1

A-Pours a hazy scorched orange. Huge, voluminous head. Bubbles rise frm the base of the beer to feed the foamy afro. Thick, sporadic lacing blotches.

S-Grimace inducing. Sweet and soapy. Honey and...soap. Oh yeah! There is also an abundance of...honey and soap.

T-Holy horseshit Batman! This is one of the worst beers I have ever slurped! Venom! Metal and sickening sweetness with a hint of remedial hops. Like sucking on a penny covered in that frightening green rust. The fact that I bought a six-pack of this makes me want to assault someone. Asswater.

M-I hate you Tailgate. Sticky and clingy.

O/D-In contention for the title of the prestigous "Worst of the Worst" award. Absolutely insulting. Quite easily the worst beer I have had yet. At least the plethora of bad Macro brews aren't pretending to be craft beers. In terms of this beer: IPA = Imbibing Pungent Asswater.

Serving type: can

10-27-2012 02:50:21 | More by VelvetExtract
    AwesomeSquad and Rainblows like this.
  37. hnandez

hnandez Savant (320) California Jun 5, 2013

Old Monk 10000 Super Beer