1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worst beer of the year, so far - Eurotrash pilz

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by geoffpm, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I am a big fan of Southern Tier but the Eurotrash Pilz is horrible. Metallic, watery, off-putting and I tried it twice from two different retailers.

I have to say it gives "just beer" from Trader joes a run for its money

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Hmmm, it isn't rated too bad here. I want to try it now.

3. Have to agree with the OP. Did not like it at all.

4. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

The name makes me chuckle because Pilz means "mushroom" in German.

5. Was not a favorite, but I did not find it to be offensive either. I have had way worse this year.

6. I agree with tigg924. I had high expectations for it mainly based past experience with Southern Tier; however, I was disappointed in what I thought was a mediocre at best Czech Pilsner.

7. It has been out for over two months already? Sounds like it could be oxidized from your metallic statements.

I had some when it first came out and thought it was decent and very similar to Sierra Nevada Summer lager.

Horrible name for a beer though.

8. Oxidized and Metallic would be two different kinds of off-flavors. An oxidized beer will usually taste like wet cardboard.

9. *sigh*

Might want to delve deeper into the topic.

10. I never indicated it was oxidized. I guess the best term I could use for this beer is vapid.

I am using the rest of them as starters for no-knead bread and pizza dough

11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I thought it was a mediocre beer, certainly not one of the worst. Come on, Bud Light Platinum came out this year.

12. This is my vote for worst thread of the year

13. It's not as solid as Souther Tier's other brews, but Eurotrash Pilz isn't the worst beer. I'd like to know what tank infused it with a metallic, watery flavor. I had it on tap and it tasted like Kix cereal and ripen fruit to me.