1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worst "cellaring" story

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheBandit1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TheBandit1

TheBandit1 Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 19, 2011

Ok. Probably been done before but what is the worst accidental cellaring/aging you have done? What leads me to this post is that I just found two Heady Toppers and a Zombie Dust in the basement fridge of my in-laws cottage that I forgot about for at least a year. They were hidden in the freezer portion that does not work. Just an absolute shame. I'm the only one who would have put them there, so the blame is completely on me. Anyone else?
  2. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Trade them for rare beer!
    Phillyz and standardcherry like this.
  3. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

I have yet to even hear of a Heady Topper aging (accidental or otherwise) would you crack one and share your experience? Rarely folks do enjoy an aged DIPA but the character of Heady Topper leads me to believe it would not be one of them. Still since the hard part is already done for you just go ahead and crack and experience, for science.
    brureview and Fluteswell like this.
  4. I forgot about a bottle of Unibroue Ephemere (apple version) for about 18 months. That beer is definitely better fresh.
  5. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

My apartmentmate once left a Saison Dupont exposed to light in her room for about a year. It was as bad as you'd imagine.
  6. Probably because it couldn't get worse. Unibroue is great, but that beer is awful.
    BigBarley likes this.
  7. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

The answer to this has to be that dude's Wooden Hell smashing on the floor of his parents' basement after the shelving collapsed.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  8. I actually aged a HT on purpose. The hops completely dropped off. Was a sweet malty beer. Was far far away from what it should be but pretty good still though. I couldn't really put a style on it. I aged for 9 months.

Don't get mad at me for doing this either.
  9. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Old DIPA ;-)
    TheBushman and danedelman like this.
  10. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (345) New York Nov 21, 2008

Ive aged some silly things in my infancy. DFH punkin and ST pumking come to mind. The punkin turned into a huge malt bomb with no spice(kidna fat tire esque) and the pumking was border line undrinkable. Oh well, live and learn.
  11. I found four bottles of Hopslam 2012 about 3 months ago. These things happen.
  12. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

How long did you age these? I still have 3 Punkins left from the 2012 batch.
  13. Mag00n

14. interesting. I read somewhere that ST PumpKing aged well - different obviously, but well....I guess I'll need to try this next year.
  15. dfh festina peche. Had an 08 about a year ago that tasted like rotten yogurt
  16. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Before I was huge into the scene, 2006-07ish, my uncle gave me a bottle of Lagunitas Kill Ugly Radio (Frank Zappa bottle). Whether or not he actually said it, I convinced myself he told me it was collectible and I shouldn't even open it. After a few years, when I knew what I was dealing with, I realized there'd be no point in opening it anyway, since it would undoubtedly be terrible. Well, cellars can't hold beer forever, and a couple months ago a friend and I cracked it open. A 6+ year old IPA. I wish I hadn't.
  17. Mag00n

I guess you could try it but Im telling you its undrinkable lol. I already did the leg work. Not sure why I did it in the first place. The whole point of pumking is the spices and dessert quality, its not supposed to be some complex beer that ages gracefully.
  18. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

I found a bomber of 2009 GI Christmas Ale in one of my boxes a couple weeks ago. I opened it with two buddies and we all agreed; it was one of the worst aged beers we ever had.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Last summer we spent a week at my in-laws cabin in the mountains of New Mexico. My plan was to drive about an hour to a nearby town and pick up some beer once we got there. But during the first night there, my wife said "Oh, my mom has some beer in the fridge, so you can drink that tonight."

Long story short, apparently they don't clean the old cabin fridge out very often, and the beer they had was a 6 or 7 year old Sam Adams Cream Stout. Intrigued, I opened it and tried it. I continue to regret that decision - worst tasting beer I've ever had.
  20. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Did you save the label? I loved that series. Even if the beers weren't meant to be saved I wish I held on to some of the labels (not the bottles--takes too much space). That Ruben and the Jets was a thing of beauty!
    afrokaze and kemoarps like this.
  21. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Year+ old Oracle. I knew it was missing and couldn't find it. Turns out it had been knocked on its side and rolled out of sight. It was drinkable but not close to as good as fresh
  22. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

I saved the bottle, yes. Agreed, the labels were fun
  23. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

You mean Pumking is drinkable to begin with? ;) :p
  24. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I had a couple of those. I think I had all but one in the series. For all I know, I think I still have the bottles somewhere in my cellar. (have to sort through all those boxes to find them one of these days.)

For worst cellaring, I was at a party at my Great-uncle's house a couple years ago and wanted a beer. He mentioned that there was some out in the garage. Didn't think much of it, so went out and grabbed a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Popped it and promptly spit it. Looked again, it was at least 5 years old, in a fairly bright garage, subject to heat and cold.
  25. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Worst story is whenever some dingus talks about intentionally cellaring Hopslam "just to see what it would do".
    stayclean and TheBandit1 like this.
  26. TheBandit1

TheBandit1 Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 19, 2011

Love the dingus reference. And I was rookie "dingus" aging Hopslam a few years back. In my defense, it was everywhere in Michigan. With that said, I aged three, tasted one, and drainpoured all of them.

And since I started the thread, the Heady was a malty beer, not quite a malty mess. Have to believe being stored in a cold fridge helped a bit. Zombie Dust, though, tasted like water-logged cardboard. Not good.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  27. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I bet citra gets gross after time.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  28. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Store near me has Ruben on the shelf.
  29. mater

mater Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 9, 2011

One of the first things I bought(after trying a bunch of Sam Adams) was a sample pack from Great Divide. I didn't really care for the Raspberry Ale, so I gave the other two to my girl. She must not of liked it either, because one is still in the fridge(bottled in Nov 10'). She also has a Pumking bottled on 8-31-11. I lost a White Rajah to the fridge monster for 7-8 months and it was pretty terrible.
  30. Worst ever? Really?

I hit up a liquor store in the boonies a few months ago, they had a single bomber of 2009 GI Christman on the shelf for 2 bucks. It was pretty tasty, a nice robust brown with wisps of oxidation. I wouldn't purposely cellar one, but it 2 bucks I would buy a few more.
  31. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Yes, it was one of the worst aged beers we had ever had.
  32. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I found a couple of bottles of Immort Ale in my girlfriend's mother's basement that I had brought over there a couple of years ago...cracked one and split it into tasting snifters...not good...hated by all.