1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Worst Trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SlightlyStoopidG, Aug 1, 2014.

1. I don't think I've had a bad experience but I'm sure some of you out there have. Has anyone made a boneheaded trade when you were first getting into trading?

2. This assumes that there is a winner and loser in trades. I am sure that I gave up beers of greater "value" as well as receiving beers of greater "value" but for the majority of people that I confine my trading to after 7 years or so of trading, we could care less. That explains why Rare, Kate, and a countless host of others found their way into trades simply as extras. The single worst thing that has happened to craft beer in my opinion is the "Beckett" book on trading whereby someone attempts to win during trading. If you have a core group, it doesn't really matter what you give or get because you are simply sharing and everything will tend to even out at the end of the day and your day is made when a gem arrives and someone else's day is made when you ship your surprise gem.

3. Yeah I get the whole "trade value" argument. That's nothing new... But obviously trading 2 x Fou Foune for a Dark Lord would be a bad trade. Let's not pretend like they don't exist. I'm not advocating that there is a "winner" like this is a sport. Bad trades do exist and sometimes someone getting into trading at first without doing their homework do make them.

JavaNoire likes this.
  4. I traded away my first VSB for beers that turned out to be pretty subpar and then about two months later people started posting their first born children to land one, made out much better on the 2nd one I sent off. I was to blame for being a noob when it comes down to it.

5. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

Posted a trade White Oak Jai Alai for Founders Harvest before we got it here. Gent agreed. His first trade. I shipped first. 4 pk. and couple of extras. Got his package. 1 Harvest and 3 shelve like Sam Adams. Thanked him. Now I spell out EXACT details.

6. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Traded a cognac sweet stout from CCB for some shelf IPAs back in my days where I knew nothing about aging, and trade value of beers. Guess ya live and learn!

7. whiskey

whiskey Savant (375) California Feb 25, 2012

It can take awhile to find a core group.

Also, if someone trades a tough get for shelf beer early on in their trading, don't you think it would be human nature to be bummed at a later date when you realized you lost the ammo to score harder to get beers that are now out of your reach?

Idunno, it never happened to me, but I understand.

8. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Never had a trade go badly and everybody has always came though on whatever we agreed.

Only somewhat negative/perplexing experience involved extras. I sent pretty nice local extras and my trading partner sent a few 12oz IPAs/Pales that weren't exactly fresh and a bottle of Schlafly Pumpkin. He even said something like "I'm sending one of my fav pumpkin beers for you to try" which got me excited (I think he was located on the East Coast) Upon seeing it was Schlafly Pumpkin I really wanted to say "Dude, you know I'm in St Louis and live maybe a half mile from Schlafly right?" but instead just thanked him and moved on. Extras are extras though so no biggie.

powpig2002 and JavaNoire like this.
  9. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (455) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

I traded a Life is Like + LP Frambois for a Darkness + Baller Stout :oops:

10. I remember when someone traded a Ann for a 09 DL :confused:

11. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

That was definitely a troll. That didn't happen. But it was one of the best threads ever.

12. hombrepalo

hombrepalo Savant (295) Illinois Mar 27, 2008

Only one I regret, traded a Wooden Hell for a beer called Ipswich Choate Bridge Imperial Stout 1.5L bottle. I was a noob and felt bad saying no to one of my first trades.