1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wort Chiller Hookup

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by utahbeerdude, Mar 11, 2012.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

[​IMG]

I thought that people might be interested in my latest homebrewing project. We recently installed a new sink and faucet. The faucet is great, but I can't hook up a hose adaptor to it for chilling wort, etc. So today I installed the two ball valves with the hose adaptors that you see here.
  2. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

I see nothing.
    Can you re-post the pix?
  3. utahbeerdude

4. utahbeerdude

Here is another try at embedding a picture:

[​IMG]
    tngolfer likes this.
  5. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Very nice. Good idea doing a hot water valve also. Very clean setup. Not that you asked for my 2 cents, but maybe consider using command hooks and zip ties to secure the hoses to the wall out of the way. Or staple a zip tie to the wall then use it to secure the hoses.
  6. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

i did the same thing. but unlike you i did not bother to use an braided extension. so i have to nearly clear out all of the undersink crap to hook up.
    maybe have a red handle hot/blue handle cold?
    nice job.
  7. rcusick

rcusick Aficionado (110) Virginia Jun 30, 2009

thanks for posting this, i have the same problem with my new faucet....the last two batches i've brewed i ran a hose from my laundry room....so i've been looking at doing something very similar to this

one question for you though.....what do you use the hot water for?
  8. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

That's funny because I got my wort chiller right before I was going to brew a batch, only to discover it had only the garden hose hookup and nothing designed to attach to a regular sink. Didn't have the time to go find a different connector, and running a hose up the side of the building to the 2nd floor is not an option. I was kind of screwed, but then I remembered about the "generic universal solution," duck tape! Wasn't pretty, but it worked!

I filled the wort chiller with hot water when it went into the boil pot, to keep it from slowing down the boil, then turned it to cold at the end of the boil.
  9. utahbeerdude

As for the hot, I thought I'd go ahead and hook it up while I was doing the cold. I think it may be useful for cleaning chores, such as filling a carboy for soaking in one-step.
  10. utahbeerdude

My son thought that a red handle for hot would be good also. Thanks.
  11. utahbeerdude

Zip ties would certainly be a good idea for positioning the hoses, if necessary. It is not obvious from the picture, but the hoses are pretty close the the back wall and then side wall, and are out of the way of the trash can that sits on that side of the cabinet.
  12. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (300) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

Dang, that's awesome- thanks for sharing! I use a simple adapter that screws into my sink faucet but it's a cumbersome and annoying set-up. This is my next project for sure.
  13. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

The hot water, if it is good enough to brew with, would definitely cut down on your brew time if you are extract or all grain by allowing you to start with hot water for a head start to mash temps or boiling. If not, definitely worth having for cleanup.
  14. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

I have the same problem. I just showed my wife and she is fine with it. Thanks for the idea!\
  15. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Nice job. Looks great!