Wort chilling in an apartment w/ a 10 gal. pot

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mrand01, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrand01

mrand01 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 New Jersey

So I ordered a big 10 gallon pot and now realize I can't do the ice bath in my sink any more as it doesn't fit. Every sink in my apartment has nicer faucets, so hose hookups are out of the question. I also don't want to do any plumbing, as this isn't my place, I'm renting. So the question is, how should I effectively chill my wort now?

I was thinking a cooler or bucket filled with ice water, a submersible pump, and an immersion chiller. It's a lot to buy at once, but I can't really think of any other option. Ideas?

Thanks,
    MR

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Is there a hose line outside at all? If so, can you hook a hose up to it and run it in through the window maybe, then let the hot side drain into the kitchen sink? Just thoughts.

3. pneumaticaxe

pneumaticaxe Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New Jersey

You can get one of those plastic party tubs that hold kegs. I just picked one up for $7 at my local liquor store because of the same reason ( got a bigger 10gal pot). I'm going to build a immersion chiller this weekend too, but at least its a handy thing to have around for emergencies or a spur of the moment keg party.

Edit: They're usually pretty thin\cheap plastic so if you do it this way i would recommend putting a towel or something on the bottom so it doesn't melt through.

bgjohnston likes this.
  4. Agold

Agold Maven (1,251) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

I had the same problem w/o access to a hose. Bought a pump for my immersion chill and ran that in my sink. Can add ice and get down to pitching rates pretty quickly.

5. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

wort chiller, 2 buckets (one with a spigot), cold water and gravity (think top of fridge,table,floor)

6. mrand01

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like I'm on the right path.

7. dgs

dgs Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2005 Pennsylvania

8. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

They have somewhat sturdier tubs at Target and possibly other places for about $10. I have one that says it holds "2.5 bushels", which doesn't mean anything to me, but it definitely holds a 10 gallon pot and almost 3 20-lb bags of ice.

You just want to come up with something that holds the brewpot up from the bottom of the tub, to prevent sadness. I have used a couple of heavy ceramic bowls at the bottom of the tub.

That's really just assuming you don't have the budget for a wort chiller yet. In the end, a wort chiller is the easiest way to do it.

9. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Do you have a bathtub? Can something be hooked up for a chiller on that faucet?

10. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

Hose hookups might not be out of the question if you go under the sink and connect directly to the cold water shut-off valve. Many faucets now use flexible braided hookup lines (see any post about making your own mash tun), so all you need to do is turn the valve off, unscrew the faucet line, and screw on a fitting to get the water where you need it to go.

11. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Look for portable dishwasher faucet adapters. Some fit around your faucet and are held on with a hose clamp and don't need to be screwed into the nozzle threads. I got one at home depot.

MrOH likes this.
  12. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

As an alternative to that, maybe you could install a t-valve to the water out under the sink. Tturn the valve on / off when needed, and not worry about attaching and detatching all the time.

13. itsjustzach

itsjustzach Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2006 Ohio

I use an immersion chiller with a cheap submersible pump in my kitchen sink filled with ice water. I run off the water until the wort temp drops to about 150F, then I add more ice and recirculate the water until it gets to my desire pitching temp. It's pretty easy and chills way faster than when I just used straight tap water at my old place.

mrand01 likes this.
  14. mrand01

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

15. DunkelFester

DunkelFester Zealot (571) Aug 24, 2004 Pennsylvania

Do you have a bathtub? In the long run, any of the proposals above to make a wort chiller work are worthwhile and a better option. But until then, bags of ice in your bathtub will work if you have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.